Help with 4ish days in France please

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2nd, 2017, 09:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in the early planning stages of planning a very short solo visit to France following a visit to Iran in April/May 2018 and would really appreciate help.

I'll arrive at Paris mid day Sunday April 29 and depart Paris late morning Friday May 4 (flights have not yet been booked). I'll already have been in the general region so jet lag shouldn't be an issue. While I have been to Paris once before, it was at the very end of a long group trip 17 years ago and I remember practically nothing from that trip so I'm essentially a first time visitor to Paris.

Day trips:
- Mont St Michel - I know it makes for a somewhat long day but can easily be done as a day trip via rail or tour.
- Loire Valley - I want to see a couple of the castles of the Loire Valley. I know there are day tours that work for this, but is there a public transit option that would also work well? The tours never seem to give enough time and really isolate you from everyone else. Most of the day tours I've seen take you to about 3 castles in a single day, any opinions on the best 2-3 to visit? I definitely want to see Château Chenonceau, it's just crazy gorgeous. Is it worth a full day on it's own or is there somewhere else along the public transit routes I should combine?

That leaves me about 2 1/2 days to spend in Paris itself. I tend to like markets/bazaars, architecture and history. I'm terrible with art so was planning to avoid places like D'Orsay. A few hours at Notre Dame probably, maybe the catacombs as well. Any other ideas and suggestions (I know it's hard to make suggestions for a complete stranger). I'm not big on shopping, especially not at places that are expensive.

Any suggestions on what areas of Paris might be most logical to stay? I think that many of the trains for the day trips leave from Montparnasse. I know that AirBnB is out, so any suggestions for lower priced hotels would also be appreciated.

Thank you for any suggestions, recommendations and assistance in getting everything sorted out!
Old Oct 2nd, 2017, 10:49 AM

Hi There. I have been to Paris solo several times and will be going again next June. I now stay in a studio apt in the 5th, very near Notre Dame that I book direct with the owner himself. I like the 5th, but wherever you stay try to be near the metro. I love the Paris metro, and find it very easy. My last trip I did Loire Valley for the first time, it was a fabulous day. I did a small group tour I found on Viator. It did not feel too rushed. We did 3 chateau visits, Chambord, Ambois with time in town and Chenenceau. Do not miss Chenenceau, it is amazing. I know people do Loire Valley DIY using public transportation via the town of Tours. To much logistics to deal with for me. I like having someone else getting me from one place to another that knows what they are doing. It is a very short visit, but I hope it a great one.
Old Oct 2nd, 2017, 10:57 AM

I definitely want to see Château Chenonceau, it's just crazy gorgeous. Is it worth a full day on it's own or is there somewhere else along the public transit routes I should combine?>

Very hard to do more than one on a day trip by public transit, which is rather poor in the area. Can easily take train to Chenonceaux to visit Chenonceau but that's about it.

Consider a one-day car rental from St-Pierre-des-Corps train station or group tours like ACCO-DISPO which I think just provides mini-bus transit to 2-3 castles and leaves you on your own - used to but have not checked recently.

For lots about trains Paris to Loire check www.voyages-sncf.com; www.set61.com and www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com.

If you wanted to splurge for a taxi from Chenonceau to Amboise - about 20 miles - you could then check out that neat town with its own chateau and other things to see and has trains back to Paris.
Old Oct 2nd, 2017, 11:09 AM

http://www.accodispo-tours.com/

Have 'semi-guided' tours and personal tours from Tours station or Amboise.
Old Oct 2nd, 2017, 11:31 AM

For the Loire Valley, as suggested above, do a tour or rent a car. Three chateau in one day would be about the limit either on your own or on tour. Just be careful to understand whether or not the tours include entry. For some, the interiors can be disappointing as they are often sparsely furnished. I would want to go in Chenonceaux, for example, but would not be bothered about the interior of Villandry as its gardens are the showcase.

Mont St Michel is a long day but if you want to see it, go for it. It's an amazing place.

I would want more time for Paris itself but if I were limited to 2 1/2 days the last place I would go would be to the dank, damp underground catacombs. Purely subjective, I find the whole thing really creepy and ghoulish.
Old Oct 2nd, 2017, 12:04 PM

With just four 'non travel' days in Paris, cannot see doing two long day trips out; pick one and save the other for next time. Really, we've been to Paris 6 times and always spend 5 days there before heading out to another region. If the trains for such day trips leave from Montparnasse, then stay in the south end of the 6th arr where it's just a few blocks from the station. One day wander over to Ile de la Cite seeing St. Chapelle, then Notre Dame, then Ile St. Louis, stopping at Shakespeare & Co., the long beloved bookstore nestled right across the Seine from Notre Dame. Another day perhaps explore Montmartre. There is always too much to explore in Paris for a week never mind two days.
Old Oct 2nd, 2017, 12:19 PM

Without siding in with efficacy of day trips from Paris with such limited time - that's very subjective - a day trip to Mont-Saint-Michel on public transit is feasible if long:

TGV to Rennes
Buses that are time with morning TGVs from Paris whisk you right to the Mont - 3-4 hours there -bus back to Rennes for TGVs back to Paris. Takes about 3 hours each way transit and again book discounted tickets for TGVs as mentioned above.

Versailles is a much closer day trip - well for all pratical purposes a part of Paris megalopolis and IMO if not been there as nice as any day trip - RER C to within a few blocks of palace entry.
Old Oct 2nd, 2017, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all!

As to renting a car... how tourist friendly are the roads in the Loire Valley? I can't drive a manual transmission (and will not be able to learn and be comfortable with it by then) so would have to be able to rent an automatic. I've not had to drive in a foreign country before so I'm a bit of a chicken about it.

If I took the train from Paris to Saint Pierre des Corps, could I pick up a car there for a trip to Chenonceau and one other (Chambord?), then drop off the car somewhere and take the train back into Paris. That would keep me from driving in/near Paris but would still give me the flexibility that a tour likely doesn't.
Old Oct 2nd, 2017, 06:16 PM

If you are going to take a train somewhere then rent a car - it's only a one hour train ride and a much longer drive.
Old Oct 2nd, 2017, 07:02 PM

I just read about a chain of hostels - St. Christopher's Inn- there are two in paris - and, for a very low cost, you can have a private room/bath.

If you only have 2-3 days in Paris, and don't care for museums, I would walk and window shop in different neighborhoods (ie Marais, St. Germain, Montmartre, Tuileries), enjoy the cafes, use the free bikes available around the city, and take it all in. The Bateau Mouche is especially enjoyable at night when the city is lit up.
Old Oct 2nd, 2017, 07:14 PM

Sorry, I somehow left out "train to Tours".
Old Oct 2nd, 2017, 07:51 PM
kja

Consider visiting Ste. Chapelle and the Palais Garnier (the interior is stunning; no need to see a performance, unless you want to).
Old Oct 2nd, 2017, 09:20 PM

I'd stay in the 14th arrondissement, near Gare Montparnasse.
There are chain hotels such as Accor, Ibis and Mercure, which won't cost an arm and a leg.
Plus, you'll be very near the station, and very near to the Catacombes. You should purchase an advance ticket to avoid waiting in line for 4 hours, though.

To get to Mont Saint-Michel, you will have to travel to Rennes, which is about 3 hours (with a transfer time of 20 mins) then from Rennes to Mont Saint-Michel, which takes about 1 hour. Plan to purchase tickets 90 days in advance.
You can use this website:
http://www.trainline.eu/search/mont-...17-10-09-18:00

I'd plan to get a half-day tour to the Loire Valley.
Old Oct 3rd, 2017, 05:42 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all of the suggestions!
Old Oct 3rd, 2017, 06:02 AM

Driving in the Loire Valley was very easy, if you decide to rent a car.

In Paris:

For history and architecture, I'd recommend Basilica St. Denis - be sure to get the audio guide.

The Musee Carnavalet is a wonderful history museum and is free (or was last time I looked).

The Musee Nissim de Camondo is a house museum with an interesting and sad history.

P. S. I'll be very interested to hear about Iran!
Old Oct 3rd, 2017, 06:06 AM

Is the Musée Carnavalet open again? it's our favorite museum in Paris.
Old Oct 3rd, 2017, 07:53 AM

Désolé, non.

http://www.carnavalet.paris.fr/fr
Old Oct 3rd, 2017, 08:09 AM

Or is that désolée? It is wonderful but looks like another 2+ years, minimum.
Old Oct 3rd, 2017, 08:12 AM

Merde, I love that place.
Old Oct 3rd, 2017, 09:57 AM

Won't be open until at least 2019...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -