Search

Rome Restaurant recommendations

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2017, 04:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rome Restaurant recommendations

Hi all,

I'm getting ready for a much needed vacation, mostly in the Amalfi Coast, but I'm flying in too late to head down immediately, so will spend one night at the Albergo Cesari (I'll be coming back to spend a few days with a friend in Trastevere, but for this one night I want to be close to the Pantheon - I want to pop over first thing in the morning before it gets too crowded, and then I'll pick up my things and catch a train to Sorrento).

I'd appreciate suggestions for a yummy restaurant for this one night, preferably within walking distance of the hotel. I may want to wander over to see the Trevi at night and throw in my coin (the last time I was in Rome, it was out of commission). I have no issues with eating at restaurants on my own (in fact, I've met some really nice people doing so in the past). I probably won't get to the hotel from the airport until close to 6:00 pm, so I won't have time to put in a reservation anywhere, unless you think the hotel might be willing to call in a reservation for me if I ask nicely . Would prefer to stay in a moderate price range of around 30 to 40 euro.

Looking forward to your suggestions!
Grazie!
Old May 7th, 2017, 06:00 PM

Many people on this forum highly recommend Armando al Pantheon, but my understanding is that reservations are a must.
Old May 7th, 2017, 06:33 PM

Armando now has the option of reserving online. The restaurant has two seatings (7pm & 9pm) so it might be safer to reserve for the 2nd seating, in case your arrival is delayed.

https://www.resdiary.com/Restaurant/ArmandoAlPantheon

You might ask your hotel to confirm the reservation for you. Or do you know anyone who speaks Italian? It's not that expensive to call Italy.

Fortunato al Pantheon is another possibility, and it is open continuously until 11.30 pm. So you have a chance of just showing up without a reservation, and if they tell you to come back later, might work for you. But take a look at the menu & see if it fits your budget.

http://www.ristorantefortunato.it/download/menu.pdf
Old May 8th, 2017, 05:26 AM

A third recommendation for Armando Del Pantheon, but yes, definitely make a reservation and take it with you to the restaurant! We were once nearly turned away when we couldn't prove that we had reserved.
Old May 9th, 2017, 10:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks - I'll look into both of these. Anyone had an experience with Retrobottega yet?
Old May 10th, 2017, 12:43 AM

I am a big fan of retrobottega since day 1. I hesitated to recommend to you here earlier, because everyone (and you) seemed to be looking for a traditional roman place (i might have misread between the lines) which rb definitely is not. It would be in your price range, you could walk in at any time (no reservations) and if you are lucky even get a place at the counter so you have kitchen entertainment. if you are there around 7 - before 8, the chances are very high for that. I often have lunch there alone and just love the food and the cooks and the place. it has an industrial-chic vibe though, which one should know, reclaimed wood, metal, etc and you sit on high chairs, get your own water and wine, set your own table etc.The food is amazing, and in the meantime i know how to "read" their ever changing menu and seem to always pick the best dishes at any given point. most antipasti are great, i esp like the animelle; among the primi i prefer the "juicer" preparations of pasta (like tortelli in broth) and for secondi definitely meat. I stay away from dessert, i think that is their weakest point. normally two courses are enough, can do more only if i have the menu (as the chef decides, but according to your likes/dislikes) of four smaller courses.
Old May 10th, 2017, 10:59 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, Vinoroma! Looking back, yes - I did make it sound like I was looking for something more traditional. I may do that when I come back the following week and am with friends. But for this night, the fun factor of Retrobottega sounded like a good option, since I'll be on my own this night. And I liked the freedom of not being tied to a reservation, since I'll be flying in that day. Thanks for confirmation of the choice!