Taipei Art Scene - Travel Report

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22nd, 2017, 10:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Today’s art-savvy social media power users may have a lot of (huh, snobbish) qualities. They love fashion (vain), read *literature* (not just books), appreciate old & exotic movies (that I might sleep through it), appreciate art (that I love), enjoy coffee culture, and post moody & Photoshop photos in social media… and so much more. While we are now all totally immersed in using social media, everyone is constantly in search of Instagramic moments – whether it’s food, street arts, or fashion…

The development of classical arts is actually very much established in Europe while world-class art museums are basically everywhere (I did pick out My Top 10 Classical Art Galleries (1) and (2) in my previous posts, but there’s so much more). Now, I am talking about the contemporary art scene in Asia, which is getting more and more vibrant these years. New art markets, creative parks, contemporary art museums and art galleries are popping up like mushrooms in many major cities of Asia (a.k.a Singapore, Seoul, Shanghai, Beijing & even Bangkok.). The purpose of these projects was to establish a public platform for the cultural and creative industry. Taipei, for example, has rejuvenated several heritage sites and converted them into art villages and multi-purpose venues for art events and performances. With the support of local government and big conglomerates, local artists could have a place to showcase their work and products to a bigger crowd of audience. Better yet, these places usually create a LOT of Instagram-worthy moments that of course would attract many “trendy” travelers to visit.

For more about the place and photos, you are welcome to visit my blog @ http://wp.me/p5Lw9a-1Jw

*Huashan 1914 Creative Park*
Huashan 1914 Creative Park was opened in 2005 and it is a charming reconstruction of the Taihoku Winery during Japanese rule. The main factory buildings and warehouses were kept but they are converted into boutique shops, restaurants, cultural movie theaters and exhibition spaces. Many mini-concerts and shows are held in the front yard of this multi-purpose park as well. Conveniently located in the city center, the park is within walking distance from Zhongxiao Xinsheng Station of the Taipei Metro. I visit there every time I am in town and there’s always something new and exciting going on. For example, I visited the Yayoi Kusama’s Pop-up Café 2 years ago, and when I was there a few months ago, the same space has turned into an interesting gift shop. (Read: Step into Kusama’s World)

*Museum of Contemporary Art Taipei*
I wasn’t aware of the MOCATaipei (Museum of Contemporary Art Taipei) until I was nearby the Taipei Main Station in the Datong District the other day. Honestly, it is not a prestigious art museum compared with many others, but the museum was an elementary school, a historic landmark during Japanese rule in 1921. The museum showcased several contemporary art exhibitions when I was there, including Filipino artist Ronald Ventura, and Taiwan-born American artist Leigh Wen. I was impressed by Leigh’s works and narratives, especially paintings of flowers, waves, and landscape, as they had shown femininity through delicate lines and soft colors.

*Songshan Cultural and Creative Park*
Songshan Cultural and Creative Park is a new addition opened in 2011. It is a conversion from an old tobacco plant, constructed in 1937, during the Japanese rule. The purpose of the park is to establish a public platform for the cultural and creative industry. Co-opting with a local bookstore giant, Eslite, the site consists of a department store building (the design of the building is an opened book), Taiwan Design Museum, Taiwan Design Center (TDC), restaurant and boutique stores.

*Dadaocheng*
Maybe Dadaocheng is less popular and well-known than the Huashan and Songshan creative parks, but walking along the Dihua street gave me a 1920s old Shanghai vibe. It is a historic market street that was filled with old tea house, traditional gift shops, and historic buildings. Today, the area is rejuvenated by adding in design stores, coffee shops, mini-theatres, and studios. Drop by at the visitor center and check out the latest shows, arts and crafts workshop, or tea tasting and demonstration programs.

There are more places and you are welcome to visit my blog @ http://wp.me/p5Lw9a-1Jw