Opinion needed on Languedoc-Roussillon/Spain itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9th, 2017, 08:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, again, We have been to Europe multiple times but this will be the longest stretch. So different planning for five weeks versus 1. Not complaining! We never feel the need to check off as much as possbile. We enjoy taking our time and if we don't see "everything", well good reason to return. So, given that information, if anyone would be so kind to review my itinerary:

Depart U.S. in the fall. Fly to Barcelona for 5 nights
Train to Girona. Pick up rental car and spend a week in Cadaques enjoying the area
Drive to Limoux, France. Use as a base and spend a week enjoying this area of France
Drive back to Girona, Return car and return to Barcelona. Spend 1 or 2 nights in Barcelona.
Take train to Sevilla. Spend a week in this area Rent car or use trains.
Take bus to Faro, Spain. Pick up rental car. Spend week in Tavira (one of our favorite areas of Portugal).

Any info. you might on travel between areas, such as time, costs, etc., much appreciated and thank you.

Glastonbuy Abby
Old Apr 9th, 2017, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

Ugh, made error. Meant to write Faro, Portugal!!
Old Apr 9th, 2017, 12:59 PM

I'd take the train to Perpignan and pick up the car there. Rental cars tend to be a little less expensive in France then Spain. You might want to consider a day in Nîmes, Saint-Remy-de-Provence, Alès and the area around Maussane-les-Apilles, since you have a week. And if you have the time, Collioure.
Old Apr 9th, 2017, 02:54 PM
kja

Shoud be a great trip!

Given that you will have jet lag when you arrive in Barcelona, you might want another night or two there -- BUT I see that you plan to do that later? I'm not sure I understand your plan.... To cut down on one change of hotel, you might consider putting all your time in Barcelona in one block upon your arrival. And if you do need a stop to make the timing of your train work out, consider spending a night or two in delightful Girona.

I’m sure you realize that Cadques doesn’t make a particularly good base – it’s a bit too far from anything on roads that are narrow and twisting and sometimes subject to winds that are strong enough to make driving a bit of a challenge. It is lovely, though!

One week is, IMO, very little for Andalusia – I think 10 days more reasonable, to include Sevilla, Cordoba, Granada, and either Ronda or Malaga (or…).

Hope that helps!
Old Apr 9th, 2017, 03:10 PM

We spent a week in Couiza which is just south of Limoux in 2012. If you would like to see what we did, click on my name and you should get my trip reports. The relevant one is Our Own Country Roads tour. This was our second week, so you will have to scroll through the first week.
Sounds like a great trip. Have a lovely time.
Old Apr 9th, 2017, 03:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, KJA, will make some adjustments!