Porto and Lisbon, could use your help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1st, 2017, 02:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're two seniors, mid 70's and 80's spending 7 nights in Porto, 2 nights in Obidos, and 7 nights in Lisbon in May. We're not driving, so could use some suggestions of day tours people loved. We've gotten such good advice from the this wonderful forum for previous trips that we're looking forward to your replies. We still laugh about the suggestion for the "Inn for Guzzlers" that we tried in Hungary. We stayed there, and ate wonderful meals and no one spoke a word of English! I walk with a cane when traveling, my husband is in better shape and can walk circles around me. We have our small hotels booked.
We would like to take a small group tour either by van or railroad to the Duoro valley and take the 1 hr boat ride. Also, plan to take a food tour. Here's what I have so far:
Arrive Porto from England late pm
day 2 do a food tour, get ticket for 48 hr on/off bus (which one?)
day 3 tour Port (suggestions) maybe port lodges (any favorites?)
day 4 do Douro tour
day 5
day 6
day 7
day 8 find a way to get to Obidos, it's a Sunday!
day 9 Obidos

day 10 Take train? or bus?to Lisbon
day 11 find a food tour and get ticket for 48 or more hrs on on/off bus (which one best?) Spend rest of day on bus to see sights in Lisbon
day 12 Belem- tour?
day 13 take a tour to Sintra
day 14
day 15 another tour?
day 16
day 17 check out and fly home

Would love to hear about any special day tours, and extra things not to miss. We usually like to eat where the locals eat, except my husband is vegetarian, so great vegetarian restaurants would be a hit with him. We're staying about a10 minute walk from the Agenda metro.
Old Mar 1st, 2017, 02:36 PM
Original Poster

Sorry, thats the Avenida Metro
Old Mar 1st, 2017, 03:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Loads to do in Lisbon. See:

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...ing-lisbon.cfm

Is there a HOHO bus in Lisbon? I never use the things, public transport in Lisbon is excellent, some of it is a sight in itself, and taxis are cheap.

You don't need a tour for Belem, get a good guidebook. Sintra you might want one just for transport, although I took a train and then a bus.
Old Mar 3rd, 2017, 06:17 AM
Original Poster

thursdaysd, got the latest Rick Steves Portugal book and we usually follow a lot of his suggestions. We will look for a tour to Sintra and find our way to Belem.
Old Mar 3rd, 2017, 08:31 PM

You might consider spending a night or two in the Douro valley. We had a car spent a couple of nights there, and took the train and the boat ride from the Douro valley that lasted an hour or two. We enjoyed the boat ride much more.
Old Mar 3rd, 2017, 09:32 PM

From Lisbon consider a day tour to Evora. Nice city and you will get to see the central plains of Portugal. I also agree that it would be nice if you could stay at least one night in the Douro valley instead of just a day trip. We were able to get our hotel to arrange for a driver to take us to several wineries in the area around Pinhao.