Myrtle Beach hotels that meet my specific criteria

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26th, 2016, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi - we're planning an impromptu getaway mid November. We're early 60's and normally wouldn't vacation in a big commercial Beach community. However, we need a break, somewhere we can drive to and is not yet cold that time of year. And want to be on the ocean, in a room/condo with a water view, a beach to stroll early mornings and evenings, and proximity to great seafood. 4* type accommodations.

Although we want the beach and restaurants early/late in day - we are birders and naturalists and would spend at least a portion of most days exploring State Parks, Natural areas and Gardens (if worthwhile in November...).

I have posted elsewhere and asked around a bit and been given some suggestions, but opinions seem to widely vary and I'm still a little vague as to what part of Myrtle Beach we should focus on - North Myrtle? Communities to the south? What should we avoid (I assume I'm not going to completely get away from arcades and Tiki bars but maybe there are districts we would prefer more than others).

Your opinions - general and specific (as to areas and accommodations) would be great! Thanks!
Old Oct 26th, 2016, 12:04 PM

Well, yes you CAN get away from arcades, etc.
Litchfield by the Sea. Look at Litchfield Beach and Golf Resort.

I really can't quite imagine "naturalists" and "Myrtle Beach" together.

Brookgreen Gardens is within a mile of Litchfield.
Old Oct 26th, 2016, 01:18 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
The only place I like in Myrtle Beach is the Hampton Inn oceanfront on the south side. Why did you choose MB? It is so much the opposite of what you describe.

http://hamptoninn3.hilton.com/en/hot...FHX/index.html
Old Oct 27th, 2016, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

Hi - OK, first we've had a rough year with unexpected events forcing us to cancel previously planned spring and summer vacations. Things are now settled down and we had a small window of opportunity and wanted a destination within a day and half drive (I hate flying) that would still have decent weather in mid November for outdoor activities, ocean views and great seafood - and Myrtle Beach fit the bill. Additionally, believe it or not, a Birder friend (very expert) visited last year and recommended a variety of State Parks, Natural areas and Gardens which he enjoyed thoroughly for great birding and beautiful nature trails.

We're also spending a couple of nights in Charleston as part of this trip. So we're getting "variety", I think....

I was looking at the Hampton Inn and Suites - which may be different from the Hampton you mentioned. Also looking at the Anderson Ocean Club which is a Condo but gets good reviews and also is offering good prices for my dates.
Old Oct 27th, 2016, 12:19 PM

There would be a nice birding possible at Huntington Beach State Park across from Brookgreen which may be where your birder friend was going.
Starrs beach resort at MB has always sounded quite nice to me--if you are set on MB. There are so much quieter easier areas south of MB.
There is a Hampton Inn at Litchfield but it is across the road from the beach--you can stay right on the beach at Litchfield (and many other places) and feel very quiet and "isolated".
If you are going to Charleston, then go to the beach down there.

You might look for a place at Pawley's Island--ON Pawley's beach, not the land side.
Old Oct 28th, 2016, 08:32 AM

Litchfield probably fits your 4*. The northern end of MB is fairly subdued. A mixture of hotels and residential. There is no other commercial activity on the beachfront to speak of-that's all inland. It's also an easy area to get to from the 31 bypass. Only a couple stoplights and you're right on Ocean Ave at 48th Ave. Don't know if your friend mentioned these 2 spots. 1st is very close to MB.

https://www2.dnr.sc.gov/ManagedLands...anagedLand/104

Beyond birding, it apparently has a good number of bears. I had no idea there were any living in that area of SC.

http://sctrails.net/trails/ALLTRAILS...Marshland.html

This one is south of Georgetown. Might be one to stop at on the way to Charleston.
Old Oct 29th, 2016, 03:36 AM

Actually a really nice stop if they stay at Litchfield or on the way to Charleston is Hobcaw Barony, just before you cross the bridge to Georgetown. It was Bernard Baruch's duck hunting preserve and then has been given by his daughter as a conservation and research area.
And closed for the winter but it would have been wonderful for birding is the Tom Yawkey ---- in Georgetown area.
Old Oct 29th, 2016, 04:24 AM

The SC coast is lovely and not that long. There's ONE super busy area in the midst of it = Myrtle Beach, and that's where you have chosen to stay. That's why some of us wonder why you have chosen MB instead of other locations on the SC coast.
Old Oct 29th, 2016, 05:45 AM

Have you looked at Hilton Head?
Old Oct 29th, 2016, 06:01 AM

I'll put in one more word about Brookgreen Gardens. Although on the site of an old plantation and that heritage can be explored, it is the home of a wonderful art exhibit, featuring in part, Anna Huntington's massive metal sculptures, but also their art collection. Across the road is Atalanta, the Huntington home for 6 months of the year--a Moorish one story design "home". VERY interesting in its square, and going from room to room, with no hallways.
The Gardens are always beautiful. We've been at christmas even
Old Oct 30th, 2016, 03:13 AM

I'm wondering if we'll ever know what she does.
Old Oct 30th, 2016, 04:34 AM

mat54, check out North Beach Plantation. It is fairly new in North Myrtle Beach and this time of year normally has groupons. There is a main hotel, as well as condos, etc on the grounds. The Anderson Ocean Club always gets good reviews. Tons of oceanfront places to stay. Enjoy....the weather could be nice or it could be not so nice.
Old Oct 30th, 2016, 04:44 AM

"a beach to stroll early mornings and evenings, and proximity to great seafood. 4* type accommodations."

I'm going to toss out a VERY different, VERY outside of the box suggestion -

The Greyfield Inn on Cumberland Island -
http://greyfieldinn.com/about/the-inn/

Definitely 4* type accomodations.
Definitely great food, including seafood.
Definitely a birder's paradise.

Pricey, but worth it. November would be perfect with fires in the fireplaces.

A wonderful experience on an almost deserted island with miles of beaches and wild horses.

You could combine this with a stay at the Ritz on Amelia Island if you want and even drive up the GA coast to SC if there are specific things you want to see in SC.

Truly a paradise and a bucket list experience.

"Greyfield Inn’s overnight rates are all-inclusive. Our package rate for single or double occupancy includes your room, three full meals daily (Southern breakfast, picnic lunch, farm-fresh dinner, and hors d’oeurves hour), access to bicycles and kayaks, naturalist-led guided tours of the island, and Natural History Truck Tours. Other tours and massage services are available with advanced arrangement.

Other items inclusive in our room rates are as follows:

Round-trip ferry boat transportation
Sparkling non-alcoholic beverages and sodas
Unlimited use of sports, fishing, and beach equipment
Parking at Florida Embankment"
Old Oct 30th, 2016, 04:48 AM

Here's one review from TA -

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g34876-d226570-r50440009-Greyfield_Inn-Cumberland_Island_Georgia.html

And an excerpt -
"During the days we took early morning birding tours with Fred, the well-informed full-time naturalist who has been on the island for several decades. With Fred's guidance we were able to view a bobcat, rare snow white deer, an oyster catcher (bird with a huge red beak which can open an oyster shell), wood storks, night herons and other birds. On a three hour later tour, Fred also toured us around the full 22 miles long island taking us to the tiny chapel built by descendants of freed slaves where President Kennedy's son was wed in the middle of the palmetto and live oak forest. On other days we toured Greyfield's organic garden with their full time gardener, an articulate young college graduate who is working with the Greyfield chefs to provide the majority of their dining room produce requirements. Also we used Greyfield's kayaks for an adventure which took us into channels in the salt marshes where we could reach out and bring back oysters for roasting. Others used their fishing tackle to bring back 3 pound brown sea trout for breakfast. We kayaked back through a group of 6 or 8 dolphins playing around our boats. Other time was spent using some of the dozens of Greyfield bicycles to travel up and down the unpaved main island road and through the palmettos to the empty 22 mile long beach where you can peddle during lower tides."

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g34876-d226570-r50440009-Greyfield_Inn-Cumberland_Island_Georgia.html#
Old Oct 30th, 2016, 05:25 AM

Here's a list that includes some other options -
https://www.cntraveler.com/readers-c...-s-top-resorts

The Greyfield on Cumberland is #6

Another glimpse at inn and island - http://www.themanual.com/travel/grey...sland-georgia/
Old Oct 30th, 2016, 05:49 AM

That sounds really really nice!! I am going to guess it may be too far to drive, although we do not know from whence our OP is coming. If from Georgia, maybe could be.

I don't know if the OP has ever been to MB (and that includes NMB, new place or not), but if not, this is not the time to do it for relaxation.

They want to go to Charleston. There are innumerable beaches there they could go to and have Charleston at their doorstep.

For information for them, Litchfield is 1.5 hours to charleston, with a lot to see en route.
Old Nov 3rd, 2016, 07:22 PM
Original Poster

OK, I picked MB because it was within my maximum 15 hour drive criteria (from Toronto) where I could still expect "fair" weather, get an oceanfront room/condo where I could wake up to ocean views and sleep to sound of waves, restaurants in walking distance and bonus - off-season prices.

But I'm being convinced to consider Lichtfield/Pawley's Island instead. There seems to be a mix of properties including high rise condos and 1 bedroom villas. Again I want oceanfront with beach access (for morning/evening walks) and would prefer to have a kitchenette and sofa sitting area. Any further details/recommendations would be helpful. And we are also booked 2 nights in Charleston Historic District.

Thanks!
Old Nov 4th, 2016, 03:18 AM

Yeah, that's a good plan - but the flaw is spending several days in a sprawling tourist mess just because you don't want to drive 30 more minutes and be in a quiet, more natural area. MB makes sense if you are traveling with kids and want a lot of touristy things to do to keep them busy. But if you are a birder and want to enjoy the quiet beauty of the beach, staying in the tourist sprawl of MB just makes no sense. The Hampton Inn I suggested is as far south as you can go and is more quiet. I either stay there when I HAVE to go to MB for work, or one further north (not on the beach) when there's no way I am going to deal with MB traffic while I'm there. I remember the old North Myrtle Beach when it was in the middle of nowhere and we'd stay in the old wooden pine cottages that were handed down to the next generation. You'd walk along empty roads to the beach. That's a NMB that is no more.

Drive just a few miles north or south and you'll find peace and quiet and a completely different experience. It's worth another 30 minutes or even an hour to get there. IMO it's a waste of time and money to spend a vacation in MB when it's the polar opposite of what you are looking for.

As Ben Franklin would say, A penny wise but a pound foolish.
Old Nov 4th, 2016, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

Hi Starrs - I appreciated your information and in fact almost booked the Hampton Inn & Suites Oceanfront but I phoned them first and asked about restaurants. They told me there are no restaurants at all within walking distance, all require driving. I was hoping for something more convenient. The place we booked had several restaurants within minutes walk. But we are rethinking things. Still, I'd like a couple of "good" restaurants nearby. I also read (don't remember if a poster somewhere, or in a Travel Guide) that the "neighborhood" is not the nicest at night.
Old Nov 4th, 2016, 03:51 PM

When I stay there, I drive down to Murrells Inlet to eat. Great restaurants there and then a lovely stroll along the MarshWalk afterwards -
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti..._Carolina.html
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti..._Carolina.html
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura..._Carolina.html

Honestly, I can't think of a hotel I'd stay at in MB that has a restaurant I'd want to eat at a stroll away. I loved the Thai right in the middle of the mess that is MB. But I still think your image of what you want and what MB actually is will be a big disconnect. But I'm out of ways of saying that, so go to MB, find a hotel with restaurants you want to eat nearby, drive out to nature to see birds and enjoy your trip. I'd do the opposite but that's me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -