Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > South America
Reload this Page >

Destination Recommendation (w/ specifics)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2016, 04:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey
I am hoping for some insight from some seasoned travelers. I am looking for a destination to travel to for an extended period of time (3 months+, or at least long enough to have an apartment. Up to 1 year.) I'm looking for a couple criteria to help me decide. One is that I want it to be cheap, as I'll be living off my savings, trying to get my freelancing business started. Which brings me to #2, it must have the internet. #3 Is that it would near a beach, not in a giant metropolis. I live in San Francisco now, and I'm ready to fall back into a slower lifestyle. #4 is that they would speak Spanish. I have a Spanish degree, but would like to use immersion to master this skill. #5, which is of way less importance than the others, is that the more modern the better.

So, in order from most important to least:
1. Cheap
2. Internet
3. Beach, smaller city
4. Spanish
5. Somewhat Modern amenities.

Originally, I was considering Medellin, Colombia. However, I'm not quite sure now because it seems like I'd be moving right back to the hustle and bustle of a huge city. I don't want to live in a village by any means, but I'm just kind of over daily-bus-commutes and huge crowds everywhere. I'm also considering Cartagena, but the internet is telling me that it is far more expensive because of retirees. If anyone can disprove this, I'd know where I wanted to go.

Any place that meets some criteria but not all is certainly welcome.Any place that you're really excited about right now would be awesome to hear about.

Thank you!
Old Apr 24th, 2016, 08:03 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
First order of business would be your paperwork to allow you to stay past the usual 90 day tourist visit.

Have you looked into what it would take for you to legally stay in South America for a year?

No interest in Mexico?
Old Apr 24th, 2016, 10:10 AM

Based on your (very concise) criteria, forget about Argentina and Chile - too expensive! Bolivia is landlocked and does not have beaches, so that is out too. That leaves Colombia, which is cheap and has beaches in abundance. I have yet to visit and so have no idea re Internet infrastructure, but we arrive there in June to spend a coule of months exploring the country.

Peru would seem to be worthy of your consideration. Decent tourism infrastructure, wifi , cheap. Etc. If I had to choose a place to live for a few months, Arequipa would be high on the list.

One other thought is Ecuador. Lots of smaller towns along the coast which would seem to provide much of what you seek.
Some info and more detail on many of these places on our blog @ http://www.travelpod.com/travel-blog...ai/6/tpod.html

Good luck finding somewhere. We have been searching for years!
Old Apr 24th, 2016, 10:19 AM

I don't know if Uruguay would work, as far as expenses, but they definitely have beaches! I think if you go outside of the high season it is reasonable.

The coastal towns in the 'Choco' region of Ecuador were badly affected by the earthquake.

If you want to be near the beach but not on the beach, Mindo Ecuador is a cool little town, literally. Just don't go during rainy season. Inexpensive but with enough eco tourism to have infrastructure, and you are just far enough away from Quito.
Old Apr 24th, 2016, 07:43 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Within Colombia Cartagena is more expensive than the other places we visited. However it is inexpensive relative to the US.
Medellín is a big, buzzy city. I think it is just as busy as SF. Traffic was horrendous. The internet was fine wherever we went in Colombia.
Old Apr 25th, 2016, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the thoughts!

Suze - I have looked into this, but need to decide on my destination before I do any paperwork. As for Mexico, I probably know less about tourism in Mexico than anywhere else, it honestly hasn't crossed my mind one way or the other. I guess I should look into it...

I've lived in Panama and Guatemala both in College, and was hoping to go further South this time.

crellston - I guess chile and argentina are out! That's unfortunate because they're both high on my list of places to visit.

to clarify: the beach isn't 100% necessary. I'm not a beach bum by any means, it would just be *nice*. I'm really looking for somewhere to move for 180 days (which I know is fairly doable in South America) that I can live off my savings while I bootstrap a new business. The internet connection and affordable prices are non-negotiable, but the other factors are things that would be icing on the cake.

I will definitely look into Peru and Ecuador, and thanks for the link!

mlgb - I'll look into Mindo! thanks!

yestravel - you've pretty much sold me on not going to Medellin. I think my patience for horrendous traffic is quickly drying up!
Old Apr 25th, 2016, 08:56 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Mexico came to mind (I first saw your question in the Travel Tips section) because there are many towns that would offer the 5 things on your list readily available.
Old Apr 29th, 2016, 06:22 PM

Been in Colombia and in Cartagena. Expensive but less expensive than the US. Remember the dollar is high. Medellin I think is far away from the beach... What about Mexico. I went one time to a town near by Cancun, Playa del Carmen. I saw a lot of tourist and the beautiful ocean there. Hostels are cheap so you can stay there until you figure it out what to do. Good internet and no traffic at all. Check online. Lots of places and cities to visit nearby
Old May 3rd, 2016, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Linda! I've been to Playa del Carmen (although its been years). I'll look into it!