Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Sedona or Painted Desert/Canyon De Chelly?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10th, 2015, 08:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After we visit the South Rim of the Grand Canyon, we are faced with a dilemma - either spend a couple of nights in Sedona OR drive on east to Holbrook and see the Painted Desert, then drive up to Canyon De Chelly. Does anyone have thoughts on their preferences who's seen both areas? I don't think we will be able to do both areas.
Old Apr 10th, 2015, 08:40 AM

Haven't been to Canyon de Chelly, but we were recently in Sedona with friends and they did an overnight to Painted Desert. Big difference between those two. Although they were impressed with the Painted Desert from a natural landscape standpoint, it is much more remote and Holbrook is tiny. Denny's was their only dinner option. Sedona, on the other hand, has tons of restaurants, is in a beautiful setting and offers a lot of hiking and golf courses too. I would recommend Sedona, especially if you haven't been there.
Old Apr 10th, 2015, 09:12 AM

Sedona is absolutely beautiful but sort of new-age touristy.Canyon DeChelly is more rugged,remote and authentically Indian with a mystical vibe.
Old Apr 10th, 2015, 11:13 AM

Where are you going after you visit one of these places?

Lee Ann
Old Apr 10th, 2015, 03:16 PM
Original Poster

We are headed to Page next. Do you know what the drive is like between canyon de Chelly and Page, AZ?
Old Apr 10th, 2015, 03:59 PM

It will be easier to visit Page right after the GC, since it is much closer to that than Sedona.

Having visited all of these places, I would definitely choose Sedona -- not for the town, which isn't much other than shops, but for the magnificent scenery. The Painted Desert is a drive-through. And, while I really like Canyon de Chelly, it is good for a day, but quite a bit out of the way. At C de C, there really is nothing to see and do other than the canyon (and limited dining options). Around Sedona you can easily fill a week or more and dine at some very good restaurants.
Old Apr 10th, 2015, 09:23 PM

I've been to all listed places
Sedona is scenic - almost equal to Grand canyon but more colorful in places. If you are a mystic, then the Vortex will be of interest. I did not experience any mystic experience.
http://www.sedona.net/sedona-vortex
Sedona tourist facilities are without limit as are their prices

Other sites described below are a combination of history and western varied scenery. Grand Canyon to Canon de Chelly route:

Flagstaff > Walnut Canyon ancient Indian Ruins > Turkey Tanks and Grand Falls > Meteor Crater > Homol'ove Ruins State Park that was a meeting place for various Pueblo Indians before they migrated to current Hopi Reservation - few ruins, but interesting > Town of Winslow (1)La Posada Hotel/historic Railroad Station), (2)Standing on the Corner mural from Eagles Song; (3) Rock Art Ranch for fabulous petroglyph > Holbrook tour town with fabulous commercial petrified wood for sale (and decent restaurants) > Petrified Forest (best in the world) > Painted Desert is overall boring unless you hike to Onyx Bridge in the Black Forest > Continue east to highway 191, then north > Absolutely visit historic Hubble Trading post where they also sell authentic Navajo rugs (not fake Mexican) http://www.nps.gov/hutr/index.htm > Canyon de Chelly. Ensure you hire a Navajo guide into the Canyon and drive both North and South rims using binoculars. Hike to the White House. http://www.backroadswest.com/trips/2...te-house-ruin/ Incredible ancient history in this canyon as well as Spanish history > drive back south to highway 264 and continue west through the Hopi Mesa dwellers. There are three designated Mesas. Specifically stop at First Mesa at Walpi. There take a tour of the old village. It remains as it was in past history > Stop at Hopi Culture Center/hotel http://www.hopiculturalcenter.com/ > 3rd Mesa - Visit Old Oraibi (NOT New Oraibi). This is consider the oldest continuously inhabited village in U.S. (contested by Acoma, N.M) > Tuba City having all tourist facilities > Page.
NOTE: I favor Hopi silver jewelry as it is silver on silver. Buy only from approved Hopi crafts shops.

If, by now you need some creature comforts; suggest:
http://www.experiencehopi.com/hotel.html

Review above and determine which has more to offer based on your touring preferences

Vaga
Old Apr 11th, 2015, 08:11 AM
Original Poster

This has been an awesome response to my question! THANKS to all of you! I've never used this forum before. It was extremely helpful. I think we've decided upon the remote itinerary to the Petrified Forest/Painted Desert and Canyon De Chelly. Part of my interest in going there is historical from reading Hampton Side's book, Blood and Thunder. We are going in June. I'm sure I'll use this site for more questions and information before we go.
Old Apr 11th, 2015, 09:03 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
At Canyon de Chelly, hire the Navajo guide Adam Teller, Antelope House Tours,m mentioned in the book, Blood and Thunder. Excellent guide. We went to the canyon floor in his Suburban with another couple.
We loved visiting Canyon de Chelly, a real treasure.