Search

Two weeks in Mexico solo fem traveller

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17th, 2014, 09:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Two weeks in Mexico solo fem traveller

Hi
Looking at a couple of weeks away from Sydney and thought Mexico would be interesting.

Have not yet checked out how long it takes to fly there but then it always is a long haul anywhere from Australia other then Bali, Fiji or the like.

Have a friend from high school days who has a holiday house in Merida but am happy to fly in anywhere. While I like the beach it is not the main interest- would prefer a mixture of chilling and culture/history/food/

Is two weeks too short a time?
Any highlights suggested?
Old Feb 17th, 2014, 10:10 PM
kja

Merida is delightful! Try to time your trip so you are there on a Friday night and/or Saturday day and night and/or Sunday day -- there are folk performances in the evenings and markets during the days and lots to see and enjoy. And do consider making time for the archeological museum in Merida - it is small, but has some exquisite pieces.

Two weeks is too little for Mexico; it is a decent amount of time for the Yucatan. I strongly recommend the Moon Guide to Mexico -- it was, by far, the best of the half dozen or so books I used when I planned my trip to the area.

I spent 3 weeks in the Yucatan and Chiapas, dividing my time among Mayan sights, colonial cities, and nature. FWIW, here's what I did:

- flew into Cancun and left immediately for Puerto Morelos, 1 night (Pueroto Morelos, snorkeling)
- Tulum: 2 nights (Tulum's beach & ruins, Sian Ka’an, snorkeling in underground cenotes)
- Valladolid: 1 night (Valladolid, Chichen Itza; Ek’ Balam, Cenotes Dzitnup)
- Izamal (Izamal and 1 night at a nearby hacienda that has since closed. )
- Merida: 2 nights
- Flycatcher Inn near Uxmal: 1 night (Ruta Puuc)
- Celestun: 1 night
- Campeche: 2 nights (Campeche & Edzna)
- Calakmul: 2 nights (Calakmul & Balamku)
- Palenque: 3 nights (Palenque town and ruins; tour of nearby waterfalls)
- San Cristobal de Las Casas: 2 nights (San Cristobal, nearby Mayan communities)
- Tuxtla Gutierrez: 2 nights (Tuxtla, Canon del Sumidero, Chiapa de Corzo)

The Yucatan has a cuisine that is, in many ways, different than other parts of Mexico; I had some WONDERFUL meals there!

Hope that helps!
Old Feb 17th, 2014, 10:20 PM
kja

BTW, I'm a woman and my trip was solo.
Old Feb 18th, 2014, 03:30 AM

Yep, for a place that Salvador Dali considered too surreal for him, Mexico is interesting. And two weeks is adequate to get a taste.

As kja says, Merida is a great place. The city itself has lots to offer with a large colonial city center, lively plazas with music at night, and massive central market. It's a great place to buy handmade Panama hats and silk guayabera shirts.

There are many day trips, or overnighters, out of Merida including the Mayan ruins along the Ruta Puuc, the flamingo preserve at Celestun, beaches near Progreso, old haciendas and convents in nearby Mayan towns and cenotes to swim in.

With two weeks, I'd consider flying into Mexico City, spending three or four days there before flying on to Merida.

Or, you could fly into Cancun and take a bus to Merida from there (Mexico has probably the best bus system in the world and you can get from almost anywhere to almost anywhere on them cheaply, comfortably and safely.

buen viaje
Old Feb 18th, 2014, 05:04 AM

If you like colonial cities, lots of color and art, great markets, great food, you could also get to Merida (and it is much cheaper to fly to Cancun and bus from there to Merida, instead of flying into Merida) and have a visit there, then bus to Cancun and from Cancun airport you can fly direct to Oaxaca. Vivaaerobus, discount domestic airline, began flying the direct Cancun-Oaxaca route last year.

Oaxaca and the surrounding area is wonderful, as is Merida.

That would be a great two weeks.
Old Feb 18th, 2014, 09:41 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm not familiar with that side of the country, but I love Mexico and have spent lots of time solo (female) in Puerto Vallarta. Pick your locations and go for it. I think either a loop of the colonial inland cities, or a combination of Merida and the Yucatan are both excellent ideas.
Old Feb 19th, 2014, 06:08 AM

With but 2 weeks I would stick to Merida & the surrounding areas. There's a life time of adventure in that area alone.
Old Feb 19th, 2014, 07:03 AM

Stewbear, are you in Oaxaca now?
Old Feb 20th, 2014, 06:13 AM

You'll find lots of cultural activities, restaurants and things to do in Merida. I freely walk the streets at night alone or with my dog or DH.
Let me know if you need any specific suggestions.
Old Feb 21st, 2014, 06:04 AM

Yes I have been in Oaxaca since the 6th. Enjoying it greatly!