Seeking a cliff overlooking the ocean for our wedding ceremony

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19th, 2010, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all! First time poster with a mission…to find ‘the’ place for an intimate wedding ceremony in fall 2011. We are looking for a cliff/bluff overlooking the ocean (for the ceremony site…that’s the non negotiable) at a modest to upscale hotel where combining immediate families can enjoy a few days together. We are totally fine with boutiques or inns, in fact off the beaten path and less crowds are more desirable than the large resorts or AI type places. We like to hike and explore as well as relax at the beach and pool (would like a spa but not a hard and fast requirement). Having never been to the Caribbean myself I am thus far wandering aimlessly in internet land but I have seen enough to know there are probably several excellent choices, and this forum seemed to be where the experts reside.

For some more details on us, I am 29 and my husband-to-be is 35 and we live in Charlotte NC. We will be traveling with both sets of our parents in their mid/late fifties. Mine are pretty active and will probably hike, zip line whatever with us, while his are more the go and stay type (so a nice pool, TV and decent dining choices are probably needed). My brother (25) and his sister and brother-in-law (late 30s) will round out the group. If needed we can be ‘married’ here prior at the courthouse to skirt any lengthy residency requirements of the islands, we don’t mind (though preferable not to).

Oh, my fiancée originally had ruled out the Caribbean due to some disappointing past experiences (honestly don’t know which island(s) and it hasn’t been in at least the last 6 years we have been together). After seeing some potential options I asked him and his reasoning was that once there you couldn’t leave the resort…it felt like you were stuck and he isn’t a sit on the beach all day type (I can be, but I am also pretty active and can be a serious adrenaline junkie sometimes). However, we aren’t nightlife seekers, activities during the day and decent food is all we need.

Would love suggestions as to which islands are more suited to what we are looking for, down to specific hotels/resort recommendations. Thanks so much for guiding the newbie and helping our wedding vision become a reality.

-Lauren (seekingseacliff)
Old Nov 19th, 2010, 09:52 AM
KVR

I just wanted to comment on this statement:

"his reasoning was that once there you couldn’t leave the resort…it felt like you were stuck and he isn’t a sit on the beach all day type"

This type of comment is one of my personal pet peeves, because it is NOT true. It's a choice not a requirement. We've done the AI, huge resort complexes on various Islands and always leave the property for tours, excursions, dining out, bar hopping, etc. If he sat at the resort and did not leave the property it was because he choose to do that. Such statements leave the wrong impression on others who read will read this as it is quite inaccuarte.

OK, off the soap box. I'm glad you have reconsidered the Caribbean. It is apparant that you do not want an AI resort, but maybe a small hotel. Not all Caribbean Islands have cliffs. Some are very flat and arrid. Look at Jamaica, St. Lucia, or St. Thomas. St. Petersburg Great House is a fabulous site for a cliff wedding. They have 2 different white gazeobs that over look Magen's Bay. Here's their web-site: http://www.greathousevi.com/
Old Nov 19th, 2010, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks KVR I will look into your suggestions (you are dead-on about seeking the more lush islands vs. the flat and arid).

As for leaving the wrong impression, that was not my intention and I certainly hope I don’t discourage others from experiencing the Islands because of it. I agree with you...He traveled with his parents which most likely choose a large resort and who wouldn’t look to leave. I included the comment to explain the one hesitation and to further illustrate that we are looking for an island with greater access to hiking, excursions and tours (vs. the just sit on the beautiful beach and forget your worries type of trip).
Old Nov 19th, 2010, 11:41 AM

I suggest you consider Bermuda, there are great flights from CLT.

Bermuda has sites both on hotel properties and off which will provide a great setting. The clifftop could be at Astwood Park for example. txgirlinbda who regularly posts here was married at the Reefs and her photos are lovely.

Hotels: The Reefs, Pink Beach, Tucker's Point, Pompano Beach Club all fit the criteria and have a broad range of budget limits. If you are willing to consider a wedding site being away from the wedding site, you could add virtually all properties on island to your list. Bermuda is small and very accessible.

Best wishes on your wedding.
Old Nov 19th, 2010, 11:49 AM

Well, it depends on how high a "cliff' you want but check out these places all of which are resorts on cliffs overlooking the Caribbean:

Asne Chastenet - St. Lucia
Curtain Bluff - Antigua
Malliouhana - Anguilla
Cambridge Beaches Resort, Bermuda

My memory is a bit hazy but I believe La Samanna on St. Martin is located on a cliff.

Cap Juluca - Anguilla is a true beachfront resort that has an on resort "Wedding Gazebo" on a piece of high ground that overlooks the water but it might not meet your definition of a "cliff").

I'm pretty sure Little Dix Bay, St. John, USVI's has a spot on the property where you can get married on a "cliff" overlooking the water but it won't be a verey high cliff.

Now, many islands have scenic overlooks with spectacular views of the Caribbean where the ceremony can be performed but those spots are going to be "off resort". You'll find such spots on any "mountainous island" which includes St. Thomas, St. John, St. Martin, St. Kitts, Nevis, St. Vincent, Barbados and Grenada, to name a few.
Old Nov 19th, 2010, 01:55 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Most of the places on "the Cliffs" in Negril Jamaica do weddings. There was one at Tensing Pen when we were there this summer. This is not a hotel or a resort, rather rustic/luxury cabins set in a garden, on cliffs, overlooking the sea. You fly in to Montego Bay, then go with a driver or shuttle the 90 mins. out to Negril. www.tensingpen.com
Old Nov 19th, 2010, 02:30 PM

The places that came immediately to my mind were Curtain Bluff on Antigua (previously mentioned above, which is an AI, but not the kind you would dread), Ti Kaye on St. Lucia, Maca Bana on Grenada, The Crane on Barbados, Katitche Villa on Virgin Gorda, A Dream Come True villa on Virgin Gorda, Mt. Cinnamon on Grenada, LaLuna on Grenada. Or perhaps Spring on Bequia. Varying degrees of bluffiness/cliffiness.

Congrats on your upcoming wedding! I got married in Antigua in 2003 and it was one of the best decisions we made.
Old Nov 19th, 2010, 05:33 PM

Jade Mountain or Ladera on St. Lucia?????
Old Nov 19th, 2010, 05:41 PM

I was thinking Astwood Park in Bermuda, the kicker there is that it is not a hotel property, so you would need to separately rent your chairs, decor, etc and have it set up, but it is a gorgeous locale. I can get you a link to some photos we took there last spring if you want.
Old Nov 20th, 2010, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

WOW…these are some amazing suggestions and great leads. I am having those ‘OHHH’ moments when I look at the resorts/hotels and their wedding packages, something that had been lacking from some of my previous searches. You are all excellent sources of knowledge and gave great recommendations. I will post a list of some of my favorite properties so far when I can whittle it down to a reasonable amount (not that I am done looking if anyone else has a ‘gem’ that has yet to make the thread). Thanks again for the guidance and for making ‘wedding planning’ far more easy and enjoyable.
Old Nov 21st, 2010, 05:59 AM

i am taking great liberty here - but this responce was posted on another thread and i'm sure blamona meant it for you:

blamona on Nov 20, 10 at 6:32pm
You might also want to consider The Crane Resort on Barbados--the whole resort is on a cliff and the beach views from it are terrific:

http://www.thecrane.com/crane_resort...ery/index.asp#

Bottom Bay may make a terrific sight for a wedding too (although might be hard to get the wedding party there) but it's a terrific cliff looking down to beach and palm trees:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jacbt/931147861/

http://www.bottombayvilla.com/bbay_gallery.html
Old Nov 25th, 2010, 03:44 AM

Marriott's Frenchman's Reef St. Thomas has an on top of the cliff wedding chapel surrounded by a beautiful tropical garden with a fabulous view of the sea below. Best accomodations there are at their adjacent, on the beach Morningstar Hotel which has a beautiful on the beach hotel, tennis courts, water toys, and a nice beach. Outstanding dining can be had at on property independently owned Havana Blue. Guests may use the facilities of both hotels with regular complimentary shuttle service to each. Two days ago, I have just returned from both places.

Wonderful off the resort activities can be had at the near by island of St.John, just a short ferry ride from Red hook, St. Thomas to Cruz Bay, St, John. Once there you can do a kayak, snorkeling tour with Arawak Expeditions and I believe they have an eco tour that includes hiking in the National Park. Another option would be to rent a four wheel drive and explore the islands's many gorgeous beaches where there is terific off beach snorkeling. Best guide is the book, "St. John Beach guide" which gives information, directions and pictures of each beach. (I bought my book from Amazon.) Hope this helps.
Old Nov 25th, 2010, 04:42 AM

Virginia, thanks for looking out for me-I did mean it for seekingseacliff!

I found another one that is actually quite breathtaking (and a little easier on budgets actually, in Middle Caicos Turks and Caicos, Blue Horizon Resort:

http://bhresort.com/events.html

You can have your wedding on the cliff next to "hands" statue--the cliff there looks out unto the stunning beach and corals that form a "T" and usually has crashing waves on those coral rocks. The other view from the cliffs are coves of other cliffs that seem endless-it's really quite dramatic. Not only that, but chances are you and your wedding party will be the only ones there.

If you're interested, I can download a couple of pictures for you and post them here, it really is quite spectacular!
Old Nov 27th, 2010, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

I want to first thank you all for the wonderful suggestions. After reviewing the properties and getting wedding availability information we have narrowed our list to the below properties. We would love any feedback from anyone that has stayed at these places (especially if you have stayed at more than 1). Overall I think we have found many fantastic options thanks to all of you and we look forward to starting our lives together in a Caribbean paradise.

Jamaica
The Rockhouse Hotel
Tensing Pen
Moon Dance Cliffs
The Caves

St. Lucia
Ti Kaye Village
Also loved Ladera but a bit pricey for all attendees and felt missing wall/AC would be an issue for his parents (might consider this for honeymoon if married on another island)

Barbados
The Crane

Grenada
Maca Bana
Old Nov 28th, 2010, 07:15 AM

If you haven't concluded your search, have a look at Nonsuch Bay Resort in Antigua. The restaurant has a lovely location on a bluff overlooking the bay with tables on shaded wooden terraces. Its quite remote with accommodation in apartments or villas.
Old Dec 6th, 2010, 03:42 AM

I found a picture of the cliff overlooking Mudjin Harbour in Middle Caicos Turks and Caicos-what a wedding it would make! Also view the pictures before and after to get an idea of the overall cliffs, these are excellent pictures:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pflum21...7624808972710/
Old Feb 3rd, 2011, 03:51 PM
Original Poster

Just wanted to update all those that were kind enough to help with the wonderful suggestions…we will be getting married at the RockHouse Hotel in Negril Jamaica. We couldn’t be more excited or happy with our decision and we thank you all for helping us find our ‘prefect spot’ to start our new life together. THANKS!

-SeekingSeaCliff
Old Feb 4th, 2011, 08:37 AM

Also look into Stonefield Estate Villa Resort & Spa in St. Lucia.

http://www.stonefieldvillas.com/

Gorgeous restaurant/pool area with the Pitet Piton as a backdrop. Just stunning. We stayed there about 6 years ago and loved it. Lots to do, less expensive than most hotels there, great friendly staff, wedding packages, and made up of "private" villas surrounding the restaurant. I highly recommend it.

And Congrats!
Old Feb 4th, 2011, 08:38 AM

DOH! Sorry-I should have read your last post before adding my suggestion. The Rockhouse is high on our to do list too, so please be sure to post a trip report! But do try to check out Stonefield someday
Old Feb 4th, 2011, 09:04 AM

Congrats, I love Rockhouse, it'll be a beautiful wedding. Don't you love this site, everyone is so helpful and full of great vaca experience.

By Fall, what month exactly cuz July-Nov is generally considered hurricane season and this may add an element of stress to the plan. Hopefully, won't be an issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -