Search

Overwhelmed!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 03:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I will definitley try to be flexible! Thanks for the advice!
Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 04:29 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
A bit of tweaking is in order on a couple of days

Day 1-- you will likely be awfully tired so Westminster Abbey and the Cabinet War Rooms/ Churchill museum is a bit ambitious.

Your Day 3 is all over the place.

"<i><blue>Day 3 Sunday

>Need to get to Tower Hill Station
>Tower of London at opening 10:00 (jewels 1st then Yeoman tour)
>Walk across Tower Bridge find lunch in area</i></blue>

Arriving at the Tower at 10 AM -- It is tough to get across the river for lunch -- unless you mean eating at 2 or 2:30. It is possible to eat at right AT the Tower though.

<i><blue>>Back to Tower Hill Station need to get to Blackfriar Statn.
>Hopefully by 4:00-- walk from Blackfriar to Millenium Bridge, cross over to Shakespears Globe for tour (runs every 15-20 min and open until 5)</i></blue>

No need to faff about back and forth across the river. Leave the Tower (either before or after eating), cross Tower Bridge, walk along the south side of the river past the HMS Belfast etc to the Globe (and Tate Modern next door). After the Globe, see/and walk half way across the Millenium Bridge for photos and then continue walking along the southbank.

<i><blue>>After tour continue walking along Thames passing oxo tower, see jubilee gardens end a Waterloo Station go back to hotel
>Dinner/free time</i></blue>

Just continue walking along the river and come to the Eye -- ride the Eye and eat dinner anywhere along the river.

Walk across the river to Westminster Tube station and head back to your hotel (This frees up a lot of time on day 4 not having to do the Eye)

Also note - you mention walking past the Museum of London -- from the outside it is basically an plain/ugly/box at the corner of the Barbican housing development --if you don't plan on going inside -you can very safely skip it
Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 05:10 PM
Original Poster

janisj...do you think I have an adequate number of things to do for our four day stay? Are there any sites that you think we could fit in, or leave it as is? You and Andrew are in agreeance that day one is too busy. I think I will switch day one and two. First day walking west end area and seeing British Museum...it will be open until 830 as I said above. Would that be a better agenda? Also...after walking the west end area should we tube to Museum or walk?
Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 05:24 PM

Can I suggest a different way to plan your days?

First of all, find those things on your list that MUST be done on a certain day - like the museum is closed that certain days or the walking tour is only Mon, Wed, Fri, that sort of thing. Things you can do ANY DAY, be more flexible with. Be fixed on things that must happen on certain days. And of course, plan logically so you can group things together.

I wouldn't discard the list of other things you might want to do/see just because they wouldn't fit into your primary plan. Just keep them aside on a separate list. Alternate attractions or whatever. And try to group them by what they make sense to do - like near a museum you are going to ANYWAY, maybe you can do that too, since you are already across the street. For each day, maybe add a few alternate things you might do if you have time or are nearby.

One incredibly difficult thing I've found about planning for Europe is not really knowing whether I'm going to like an attraction or even a place or not. You can read glowing comments from people about how wonderful something is but then realize 30 seconds after you get there that this sort of thing ISN'T for you, not something you want to waste your time on. So you move on to the next thing on your list. That's why I make alternate ideas for things to do every day and don't commit myself (if possible) to any one thing any day.

It's OK if you don't get to everything on your list that day. It's OK if you still have stuff on your list that day and just feel like taking a walk instead. You shouldn't judge your trip based on the number of things you are able to see.

In fact, I'd try to make the list of the top four or five things you think you *MUST* do in London and make everything else optional! For me, it was walking across Abbey Road (huge Beatles fan here) like an idiot, like all the other tourists annoying the locals trying to drive past...seeing Big Ben of course and the Tower Bridge, since I love bridges, walking around certain gardens and attractions. Otherwise, the rest was gravy for me. Pressure to see more and more items on my carefully prepared list would just stress me out and make me enjoy my trip less.
Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 05:32 PM

About a hotel, check on the Morgan on Bloomsbury Street. It is just a couple of blocks off Oxford Street and in walking distance of Covent Garden and the theater district. The rates include full English breakfast. It does not have elevators; the rooms are small but adequate; our bathroom was very small--shower only, no tub. My favorite area is South Kensington near the Gloucester Road tube stop, which has three lines. The Millenium Bailey is directly across the street from it. Have you looked at bidding on Priceline.com? It works well in London.

I have done a couple of London Walks and enjoyed both. One was Legal & Illegal London around the Inns of Court, and the other was Shakespeare's and Dickens' London which was a walk showing sites that would have looked the same in their days. I liked them both.

I agree that the Verger's Tour at Westminster is really worthwhile.
Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 05:49 PM
Original Poster

Carolyn, I have not yet checked priceline but did plan on looking. Just didnt know if certain areas were better to stay than others. Thanks for the feedback.

Andrew-- you are right. I will work on not being so "check-list" ish.
Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 06:26 PM

The way I laid out a Day 3 option gets it off "check list-ish" mode. Do the Tower first thing and the Eye at the end of the day -- everything else is just a pretty linear walk that does manage to tick off several Biggies -- The Tower, Tower bridge, the Globe, Tate Modern (if you are interested), the Mil. Bridge, the Eye, lots of pubs, restaurants, the river, Big Ben, Parliament. But it is mainly just a go-at-your-own-pace stroll after leaving the Tower.

I second the Morgan - a very good budget hotel in a great location.

Priceline is even better --but you can't really 'check it out'. You need to bid and won't know which place you get until you pay (it is a blind booking). There are 3 PL zones that are generally best for a first timer. Westminster, Kensington/earl's Court, and Mayfair/Soho (though this zone runs pretty high).

There are good areas/hotels in other zones - but unfortunately the zone boundaries also include less convenient areas.
Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 06:36 PM

tds0212--I agree to do the Cabinet War Rooms on the first day is not a good idea. It is dark in there and will probably make you sleepy.

You mentioned you want to do a Thames river cruise. If it is a nice day you can do the tower first thing in the morning. It takes a long time to adequately see the tower. We ate lunch at the tower and the food offered was healthy stuff--baked chicken and veggies for entree. You can also get salads and sandwiches. After the tower and lunch upon exiting you face the tower bridge. Slightly to the right of that is the docks for the boats that can take you over to Westminster. From Westminster pier it is a short walk over to the cabinet war rooms. We needed at least two hours for that especially the Winston Churchill museum within the war rooms which we thought fascinating. We were touring with a ten year old and even he found it interesting. After the war rooms, you can walk over the westminster pier and do the London Eye. After that you can walk up the south bank and eat dinner somewhere near there--we ate at Oxo Brasserie. This can all be done in a long day and it will cover a lot of your must sees. I know it can be done because we did it with a ten year old and a senior who had some mobility issues.

The Royal London walks on Friday meets at Green Park tube station at 10:45AM. Depending on where your hotel will be and depending on no delays at the airport you might make it if you land at 7AM but that is an "if". It is good to be outside and walking after your arrival. They don't do the changing of the guard though if it is raining. Something to bear in mind.

I agree with Janisj that the Museum of London is absolutely nothing to look at from the outside. It is what's inside that is interesting. They just renovated the inside and we were quite impressed but you may not have time for it. It is also close to St Paul. St Paul is very near the millenium bridge which you can cross take pictues of St Paul and on the other side of the bridge is the Globe Theater and Tate Modern so you would want to plan those things together.

Another thing to note--the British museum no longer offers a 90 minute highlights tour. They discontinued it but did not change the website. They do offer specific tours on certain areas of the museum. Get a Rick Steves book and follow his tour of the museum or you can take a London walks tour of the British museum. They charge but they cover all the highlights and know where everything is so you won't wander around. The place is huge.
Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 06:46 PM

I used Priceline for London in 2005. Based on what I had been seeing come up on the bidding websites at the time, I bid for a certain zone and got the Thistle Marble Arch as I expected (hotels often sell rooms to Priceline in blocks so everyone might win a certain hotel in a certain zone for a while...then maybe not for a while or never again). You certainly can't guarantee you'll EVER win exactly the hotel you want with Priceline, but if you've been using Priceline for a while you eventually get a reasonable feeling that you will probably win a certain hotel, based on recent bids - has happened to me lots of times. I think I paid something small like $75/night, an amazing price for this place. But that was a long time ago, don't expect to get that deal now or even the same hotel.

The usual best method for using Priceline for booking hotels in a case like this is to book backup hotels early that you can cancel later for no fee if you wind up with a successful Priceline win. Expect to bid 1-2 months before you leave and maybe succeed or maybe not. The backup hotel(s) that you'd already reserved might be not as cheap or as nice as you would prefer but it would work. Then if you win with Priceline - bonus! Just do research about current zones, recent wins around the dates you will be bidding for, and assume the worst. If you would be deeply disappointed to win a hotel someone else won in the zone you will be bidding in, DO NOT use Priceline!
Old Aug 4th, 2010, 06:13 AM
Original Poster

Great suggestions and info...thanks again!
I will keep revising until I get it right! haha!
Old Aug 4th, 2010, 06:59 AM

tds - I am sure whatever you do will be right! I found that taking a walking tour of a neighborhood on my arrival day really helped with the jet lag. I was outdoors and moving around. I did the Westminster walk which was very interesting. Unfortunately I had to duck out before it was over due to a sleepy child.

Have fun with planning and don't stress if you don't get to all the places on your list. We sure didn't but we still had the most fabulous time in London. I hope to go back someday but there are so many other places I want to see too!
Old Aug 4th, 2010, 07:33 AM
sap

If the weather is good, I always find that going to a park or garden that first jet-lagged day is a wonderful way to lift my spirits and get the much-needed fresh air following those hours in a cramped plane. As you know, London has some very nice green space, so you might want to add a few moments in the closest one to your first day's activities or accommodations. Just keep moving and resist the temptation to lay down in the grass and go to sleep!
Old Aug 4th, 2010, 07:43 AM

I don't want you to stress out too much about jet lag. I travel to Europe at least 2 times a year, usually with a few people who have never been, and, while I keep moving until a reasonable bedtime, I usually don't spend my time walking in parks. I pick some things that I really want to see that are walking destinations and do that. Excitement that you will feel upon arrival will do a lot more for jet lag than you think!
Old Aug 4th, 2010, 07:55 AM
sap

>>I usually don't spend my time walking in parks. I pick some things that I really want to see that are walking destinations and do that.<<

That's just a personal bent, then, I guess. Parks and gardens are always things I really want to see and even destinations at any point during a trip. I find that I NEED to mix up a couple of hours in a green lung with time spent indoors in museums or hoofing it over pavement. I'm still sorry I missed Regent's Park on the last trip to L.
Old Aug 4th, 2010, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

Ok...double checked on this bed and breakfast. I was totally wrong. It is located in the Kensington area on Argyll St. Close to Kensington Palace and gardens. I attempted to use Mapquest and it says that it is a 15min walk or 4.10 miles from the area around Westminister Bridge. It is 105 pounds/night. Just wanted to clarify that from my earlier post. Not that anyone cares or had to know! haha! Just wanted to correct myself. I am still looking, but this is one of the options so far. I am going to check on Morgan in Bloomsbury...and just look around...keeping my options open.
Old Aug 4th, 2010, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the comments and posts so far!

I am a nurse and USED to work night shift. I was on nights for 3 yrs. Recently, I got a day shift position. I have only been on the daytime routine 8a-8p, 3 days each week for one year. Too bad I'm not on night shift anymore, or I would be pretty close if not good on your time!! Used to work 7p-7a. I was back and forth all the time. My body didnt know when to sleep/eat/or stay awake so I could do anything at anytime.

Hmmm...maybe before the trip I should try my luck and see if they will let me fill in on nights for a few weeks. That might help!

As far as my husband goes, no such luck there. He's gonna be a lost cause....haha! I may have to pump him full of caffeine! Hopefully all the walking will help!
Old Aug 4th, 2010, 08:19 AM
sap

If your husband is like mine, he won't even get jet lag. (I'm still not convinced he's entirely human.) For me, it actually hits harder late on the 2nd day after the adrenaline has run dry.

A few weeks on the night shift is a great idea!
Old Aug 4th, 2010, 09:36 AM

May i suggest that if your base for a UK trip in May is London, then you should consider a visit to Brighton. 50 mins on a train gets you to the biggest Arts Festival in England. 3 weeks of fantastic dance, theatre,jazz,comedy, street theatre, i could go on. With great museums and of course the Royal Pavilion.
Have a great trip whatever you decide.
Old Aug 4th, 2010, 12:13 PM

Just more info overload Argyll St is not in Kensington. It is near Oxford Circus.

Now could you mean Argyll or (Argyle) something else? It is REALLY important to get the street names exactly right since there are many places w/ the same or similar names.

What is the B&B's post code? (Something like SW7 2AZ -- a combination of letters and numbers like that)
Old Aug 4th, 2010, 03:18 PM
Original Poster

janisj it was Argyll Road W8 London-- that's all it said...Holy Moly...info overload is right!!! haha!! Now I am confused. ??? I will have to go back and look at the EXACT combination of lette/numbers to make sure I even know where the heck this place is!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -