How safe is Kenya these days?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25th, 2009, 11:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am hoping to study abroad in Kenya, in the fall of 2010, with St. Lawrence University, but since the disputed elections, Kenya has seemed uneasy. There has been a State Department Travel Warning on Kenya since July, and there have recently been murders and robberies of Westerners in Nairobi and Mombasa. I have studied abroad in Tanzania already, I know decent Swahili, and I feel pretty confident I will be OK. My parents, on the other hand, are begging me to go somewhere else. If anyone is going there soon, is there now, or has gotten back relatively recently, could you please give me an accurate description of the real situation there? Is there anything to worry about, or would I be wise to study abroad somewhere else? Any travel advice for Kenya is also greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time!
Old Oct 25th, 2009, 01:26 PM

The Travel Warning you mention has been reissued approx. evey 6/months since the Embassy bombings in Nairobi and Dar-es-Salaam in '98. Nothing new there... it's a "warning" not a "do not travel" as there are warnings for travel anywhere nowadays. Besides, the State Department has to advise their citizens and often are more alarmist than the reality on the ground.

Even during the political upheavals in early '08, tourists were never targetted nor harmed.

As to the murder in Mombassa, very sad and condolences to the family, but ask yourself how many murders, robberies, carjackings or children harmed in your own hometown of late? Probably a few. Sadly, no place is immune.

Kenya is a big country and I'm sure there are people there as anywhere else who are up to no good. There are areas in many hometowns people know to avoid during daylight and specifically at night, so too are there places in Nairobi. It's a big city.

I'm sure once you're situated in your housing, determine your means of travel, have a schedule and know where you should or shouldn't be at any given time, you'll be fine. You use the same precautions and awareness everywhere. What you do not leave at home regardless the destination is your common sense.
Old Oct 25th, 2009, 01:41 PM

Have a friend in Kenya right now, had several earlier, have one going for Xmas and I myself go in Feb 2010 - because it is as sandi says: common sense and you will be as fine in Kenya as anywhere else in the world.

Happy travels!

SV
Old Oct 25th, 2009, 02:01 PM

We were there in May this year, I felt as safe there as I do at home.
Old Oct 28th, 2009, 08:18 AM

Very safe,except the northern parts you have to be advised on security.
Old Oct 29th, 2009, 01:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the reassurance. The spring 2010 group is going to these locations, so i expect the fall 2010 will go to similar places as well:
Nairobi, Hike Langonot, Arusha, Amboseli, and probably a few other places as well. Looking forward to it. Does anyone who has been there have advice as far as places to go in or around Nairobi? (on a college student's budget)
Old Oct 30th, 2009, 10:03 AM

Arusha is in Tanzania. Are you really popping into TZ, requiring another Visa, for just one location?

I'm planning a return to Kenya after a short visit last Aug and I don't like excessive risk or drama.
Old Oct 30th, 2009, 11:48 AM

Not only another Visa if going to Arusha in Tanzania, but also the Yellow Fever inoculation for entry. Unless, of course, you've had this inoc for your previous trip to Tanzania. The YF inoc is good for 10/years.

Sightseeing around NBO is varied. The usual are: Karen Blixen Museum, Giraffe Center, Sheldrick Elephant Orphanage, National Museum. Fees are relatively inexpensive, with the Giraffe Center being a tad higher than the others.

There are the various markets, on different days during the week in different places. Once there, you can ascertain which/where. There are plenty of shopping malls, the large Nakamutt Centers (believe 3 or 4 of them), a Snake Farm, even an ice-skating ring at the Panari Hotel.

Once you've settled in, you'll find the activities that suit your wishes and meet your budget.
Old Oct 30th, 2009, 10:08 PM
Original Poster

Yeah, the calender for the program says Arusha, so i guess that means we will get another visa. Not sure what we will be doing there, but I'm not complaining.

And yes, i already have all the immunizations I'd need to get into Tanzania from my first trip. Thanks for the suggestions of places to go near Nairobi. I just looked at the websites of a few of the places and they look pretty neat. I also look forward to going to the markets to practice my Swahili while bargaining. Cant wait to go!
Old Oct 31st, 2009, 10:43 AM
aby

Sandi forgot to mention Nairobi NP a really nice park just next to town. tours usually go for a 4 hour game-drive, but if you can get a car you can spend time from dawn to dusk (and see only a fraction of it)
Old Oct 31st, 2009, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

I doubt I'll have any access to a car while I'm there, but taking a tour would definitely be a possibility. I really appreciate everyone's suggestions. I'm seriously taking all of them into consideration. My goal is to do at least 1 new thing each weekend while I'm in Kenya, and I'm there for about 16 weeks, so the more ideas the better!
Old Oct 31st, 2009, 01:27 PM

Jonzania,

From 6:30 to 9:30 am in NBO Nat Park in August I saw 5 rhino and 2 lions, flocks of ostrich, many kongoni, herds of eland, a large buffalo herd, zebra, 4 warthogs, 2 gazelle, and a rock hyrax. I'm sure you'll have an opportunity to get there at some point.

If you are with other students who share the attitude of 1 new thing a week, there's your ready made group or tour for economic adventures.
Old Nov 2nd, 2009, 07:52 AM
Original Poster

Wow, that must have been a really great day. When i was in Tanzania, i only saw 1 rhino in 4 national parks, and it was from really far away (not that I'd want to get close to one, though). I'd expect that the program will take us to NBO nat park, but if not, i'm sure i'll be able to find friends to go along with. Thanks for the tip, and i had no idea that there were so many great animals in the nat. park right next to/in the city!