Reload this Page >

Who has spent Christmas in Europe?

Search

Who has spent Christmas in Europe?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10th, 2007, 11:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have.
We were in Barcelona last year. It was rather quiet on Christmas day and the 26th and 27th. We did really enjoy all of the decorations and the Christmas Markets.

I will be in Munich this year!
Old Dec 10th, 2007, 01:00 PM

Instead of having Christmas at home and exchanging expensive presents, I've convinced (or is it "conned&quot the rest of the family into taking vacation in Europe every Christmas. We've done it for the past 6 years.

Everywhere we've gone Christmas has been special and for some unexplainable reason, Christmas in each country we've visited has "felt" like the old Christmasses of my youth growing up in the '60's. Maybe it's the omnipresent snow, or the fact that I'm not in school or working. Maybe it's all the greenery the Northern Europeans use in lieu of inflatable or ultra-gaudy decorations. Could it be the scent of Glühwein(or "Gløgg), or the fact that the Europeans seem to embrace the spirit of the Holidays and seem to be much friendlier than during the touristy Summer season? Perhaps it's the non-commercialization of the holiday in Europe. Whatever the reason, since we've been taking these trips I feel like all of us in our family have grown closer and really appreciate these days together. Being with all of them makes each Christmas the best one ever for me.

HOWEVER - The bad news is that wherever we've gone in Europe, we've found that the continent virtually shuts down on Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, Boxing Day, New Year's Eve and New Year's Day. Stores are closed each of those days or operate on limited hours. Some stores in Copenhagen were still closed on the 28th. Many hotels and restaurants shut down for the entire time period. Add in the fact that most establishments are normally closed on Sundays anyway, this is not the best time of year to go shopping. Finding a place to eat on Christmas Eve or New Year's Eve pretty much demands a reservation unless you can find a Turkish or Greek establishment.

Old Dec 10th, 2007, 01:55 PM

I am from Spain,dandj, so yes, we do celebrate Christmas But , as some people here said that in every European country there's a different way to celebrate...here in Spain you can almost say that of every town or village

A common thing is the 12 grapes of luck on New Year's Eve (well, in fact is the first minute of the New Year LOL). People goes to a square o place with a clock (in Madrid, is Puerta del Sol, broadcasted on TV nationwide) that marks 12 in the night and you eat a grape with each bell sound. They say it gives you luck for the new year. Though the reason for the tradition is quite different

As basingtoke2 said, our Christmas season runs till January 6th when Los Reyes Magos (the three magic kings) bring their presents to children and there is a big parade to see them "arrive" in every place, even small villages on the 5th evening.

We do celebrate Christmas day also, but here is traditionally much more important Christmas eve dinner, when all the families get together and have a BIG meal.
Traditionally too, after such a big dinner, on Christmas day here in Valencia they cook a (you guessed it !) paella with some of the food left the day before (mostly meat) and do a special kind of meatballs called Christmas balls and add them to the paella

I love the tradition in Catalonia of eating canelloni on St Stephen's day (December 26th) , we do this too at home even when we are not catalans !

Old Dec 10th, 2007, 02:10 PM

We spent part of December in Provence one year, staying with French friends. There we learned the tradition of the 13 Desserts of Noël, including nuts, special cake, dried fruits, and ones I can't remember now. All we served together on a large plate and offered at the end of every meal.

In England we discovered Christmas crackers and have never looked back. I just ordered this year's supply for Christmas Eve.
Old Dec 10th, 2007, 02:13 PM
Original Poster

I have never had Christmas crackers but I will order some and try them out.

Thanks for all the interesting stories. My grandkids will love hearing them all. Might be a fun read for Christmas Eve.
Old Dec 10th, 2007, 02:29 PM

Christmas dinner is on the 24th December for Danes with exchange of gifts afterwards. Tree decorations are made from coloured paper (usually red and white and woven into a heart shape). Dessert is rice pudding with cream almonds and cherry compote.
Old Dec 10th, 2007, 02:40 PM

Bavarian christmas consists of a small and short evening dinner on the 24th, followed bei "Bescherung" (gifts). On the 25th the familiy gathers for the big feast consting of turkey and many other delights. The 24th is the BIG evening for the kids, the 25th is the day for food and family. The 26th is for sleeping, relaxing and getting fit again for the new years celebrations.
Old Dec 10th, 2007, 02:45 PM

More on Christmas in Provence, from an article of mine...

Christmas in France is a very special time of the year. Each region has its own customs and celebrations, and even the smallest villages are bedecked with displays of lights, trees, and holiday decorations. In the south of France, however, we found the warmest glow of holiday spirit.

A Provençal Christmas is filled with traditions dating back centuries, each emphasizing the religious nature of the celebration. The season begins on December 4th with the festival of Sainte-Barbe and ends over a month later on Epiphany, January 6th, with the commemoration of the arrival of the three kings in Bethlehem. Visitors to Provence during this period will find both familiar and new observances, including crèches in both home and shop, displays of santons, midnight mass, and the Treize Desserts offered to family and friends.

The Treize Desserts (13 Desserts) are perhaps the holiday tradition least familiar to visitors. The 13 desserts comprise various elements symbolizing the presence of Christ and his apostles at the family table; while the various components are similar throughout Provence, regional specialties are often added. The Treize Desserts are served on a large platter or, sometimes, in a wicker basket.

First come the “Quatre mendiants,” named for their brown color similar to the robes worn by religious mendicant orders. These dry fruits include almonds, walnuts, hazelnuts, and either dry figs or white raisins. Next are fresh fruits symbolizing life and the produce of the earth: winter melon, pears, apples, oranges, and mandarins. Also included are dried apricots and plums, called “pistoles” because of their resemblance to pieces of gold. The final components of the Treize Desserts are black nougat with honey and white nougat with hazelnuts and pistachios. Regional specialties that might be included with the Treize Desserts include fougasses with anise, calissons, and spice cake.

Although the Treize Desserts may be offered with any meal, they are invariably an accompaniment to the Gros Souper of December 24th, eaten after Midnight Mass. This traditional meal unites family members in celebrating the coming of the Christ Child.

Another special feature of the Christmas season are santon fairs, featuring the charming small figurines made by artisans throughout Provence. The fairs offer wares by various artists, from famous (such as Carbonnel) to locals, allowing for comparisons between the styles--and, of course, between those well known and those just beginning to make a name for themselves. Prices at these fairs are generally a bit lower than what gift shops charge, and there is a much wider variety from which to choose. Visiting the fairs is an excellent way to mingle with local people and join in their Christmas spirit, as well as bringing away delightful souvenirs for the holiday season at home.

Provençal towns and villages take special pride in their holiday decorations. Shops large and small have elegant window displays, some boasting elaborate santon nativity scenes, and lighted swags are often strung from building to building across the main street. Nice in particular has outstanding outdoor light displays, and people often go there on December evenings to view the exquisite constructions.

Christmas wouldn’t be Christmas in Provence without…chocolate! In store after store are piles of boxes of chocolates, from inexpensive (such as those carried at Carrefour) to very, very pricey. Specialty candy shops offer collections packed in elaborate boxes, but customers can also choose their own assortments. Anyone visiting friends or family goes equipped with at least one box of chocolates—and sometimes calissons, the specialty candy of Aix-en-Provence. These diamond-shaped white delicacies, along with the noted nougat of Montélimar, are highly prized—and priced accordingly. Glacé fruits and chestnuts (marrons) are also very popular.

Provençals often begin holiday dinners with pâté de foie gras, accompanied by a bottle of Sauterne. Life in Provence at Christmas is good.

Old Dec 10th, 2007, 03:46 PM
chu

Last year we spent Christmas in Venice and then took the train to Florence. I was surprised at how cold it was in Venice! We arrived at night so my husband, who hadn't been in Venice before, had no idea what a treat he was in for! The next morning, Dec. 23, was cold but bright. Venice was busy and the Christmas market near the Accademia was quite fun. Christmas Eve day was a bit quiter and Christmas Eve night was absolutely grim; stores and restaurants were tightly closed and people were not to be seen. A misty fog settled over San Maraco as we retired to our Palazzo disappointed and trying not to feel lonely.

We arranged for a tour on Christmas day, so we were busy all morning giving the city time to awaken after the Christmas Eve feasting. We saw a few more people and learned from the tour guide that Christmas Eve is family time in Italy much like our Thanksgiving. And, although more of a textiles person than glass, we did find a fabulous glass shop open and had a delightful time talking with the Italian shop owner who spoke English with an Italian/Australian accent; his Australian wife taught him. It was great.

Another fun part of Christmas day was riding the vaporetto, standing beside the most beautiful ladies in incredible fur coats, most of whom held a huge pointsetta in one hand and the dog's leash in the other. By Dec. 26 Venice appeared to be back on a nearly normal, full schedule. Not having a reservation for lunch or dinner, it was a bit of a stress to find a meal on the 25th and, alas, we ended up eating in a hotel - word to the wise...

Dec. 27 we left for Florence and were surprised to see snow around Balogna. Florence was quite a bit warmer and fully operational. All that was left of the Christmas markets was leftover pine needles. Being my absolutely favorite city anywhere, and after 4 other trips there at all times of the year, I found again that Florence never disappoints; everything and everyone we wanted to visit was warm and welcoming!

Along with the bitter cold of Venice, and the soul-touching spirit of Florence, the other thing that I vividly remember is the absence of Christmas tunes in Italy. I expected to recognize the melodies at least; but, even the concerts in the Venice churches didn't play anything resembling Silent Night. We arrived home on New Years day - DFW still had Christmas music going full blast, all I could think was, "How quickly we forget."
Old Dec 10th, 2007, 05:28 PM

We spent Christmas in Rome last year. We hail from Australia so part of the charm was to actually be cold at Christmas. We were sort of - alhough Christmas Eve was very cold the rest of the holiday period was quite warm. Not beach weather like in Australia but pleasant.

We had booked tikets to the Midnight Mass in St Peters (we are Catholic) which we found very spevial. We enjoyed just as much though the three hour wait in St Peters Square to get in, here we met people form all over the world. On Christmas Day we had to deal with our first ever Christmas without extended family, Christmas presents under a tree and way too much food and drink.

Instead we slept in until the last possible moment to get our hotel breakfast, thenn gave a small present to each other in the hotel room before going to St Peters Sqaure (again ) to hear the Pope's blessing. After this we walked through the Borghese gardens which was really lovely. We hired the 4-wheeler bike thingies and rode around for a couple fo hours. Then we walked down the the Piazza de Popolo and then wandered down via del Corso. By this time it felt like all of Rome was on the streets and it was very lively. We found several restaurants were open for dinner and ended up having a delicious but non-traditional Christmas dinner.
Old Dec 10th, 2007, 10:48 PM

This is about German Christmas:

It should start with Advent time. Then we eat Christmas cookies and make ourselves cozy. On the first Advent Sunday, one candle on the Advent garland is lit, on the second two candles etc.

A special day is 6 Dec., the day of Nikolaus, the holy bishop of Myra. A man, dressed as the bishop (the Americans call him "Santa Claus&quot, will visit the children and give them small presents.

During Advent time we frequently visit Christmas markets (which are virtually in every town) and drink some Glühwein. Or we sit at home (outside it is dark, dreary, cold and rainy) and drink some self-made Glühwein or hot chocolate, flavored with Cointreau or rum.

The main Christmas event is Christmas eve. Then the Christmas tree will be decorated and lit, family gathers for a meal, and gifts are exchanged. The 25th and the 26th are holidays and used to continue celebrating. Usually we eat too much on these days and are pretty lazy.

That's the reason why we usually travel into the Black Forest for Christmas. There we will find a winter dream landscape with lots of snow, snow-covered firs, and we do some hiking and skiing between the meals.
Old Dec 11th, 2007, 12:43 PM

I'll be home for Christmas.....
If only in my dreams

Happy Travels to All!!!!

Bon Nadal i Feliç Any Nou!!!!
Old Dec 11th, 2007, 01:38 PM

I was born (and live) in the US, but my mother is German and I've spent Christmas in both, and often also in Austria. Christmas in Europe is almost nothing like Christmas in the US, in my opinion. In many ways, the US is far more gift oriented, more commercialized. People in Germany are not gift obsessed, they do not wake up at 3am to make it to the Best Buy early shopping hours. While a US Christmas is jolly and festive, Christmas in Germany is more peaceful, with lovely traditions like Christmas markets and Advent Calendars and Advent Wreaths and Lebkuchen (a kind of spiced cake-cookie). It's more cosy, more reflective, a bit more the way I think it was meant to be, but also maybe in some ways a bit less boisterous and in-your-face-festive.

I think you should try it- somewhere in Europe!
Old Dec 11th, 2007, 01:52 PM

'Those who have been bad risk being put in Zwarte Piets sack and taken back to Spain! '

Superb!

One thing non-Europeans might not realise is that different countries have different 'important' days over Christmas - in Scandanavia, Germany etc the main celebrations are xmas eve, wheras in the UK it's xmas day.

My mate who commutes to London, Liverpool Street every day tells me that for 360 days of the year everyone on the train completely ignores each other, yet for the xmas week only, Quality Street are passed around and everyone chats like they've known each other for years (which they quite often have). January 2nd they go back to stonewalling.
Old Dec 12th, 2007, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Dec 12th, 2007, 08:04 AM

"Christmas in Europe is almost nothing like Christmas in the US, in my opinion. In many ways, the US is far more gift oriented, more commercialized. People in Germany are not gift obsessed, they do not wake up at 3am to make it to the Best Buy early shopping hours..."

Beneteau, that's a gross oversimplification. No one in our family living in the U.S. have ever done anything remotely like it. Moreover, since we've been living in Europe for the better part of a decade (Belgium, Germany, UK) and celebrated Christmas in Germany with German relatives, we found that the way we celebrated Christmas in Germany was VERY much like the way our families celebrated Christmas in the U.S. Our Advent and Christmas traditions were very similar to those in Germany.
We have NEVER celebrated an "In Your Face" Christmas in the U.S. Nor have any of our American friends or neighbors.
Old Dec 12th, 2007, 07:20 PM

Christmas in the UK to me is...the pub before dinner, chocolates,beers Christmas crackers.
It is a relaxing day!!!

After Christmas sales ...

Old Dec 13th, 2007, 03:07 AM

We lived in Bavaria for several years and spent 2 Christmases there. We enjoyed the Christmas markets and the beautiful concerts during the holiday season.

I was never a great fan of Gluhwein but we love Lebkuchen (spicy gingerbread-like cookies mentioned by beneteau in an earlier post). We still order some from Germany every year in order to get a good assortment. This year's box just arrived and we are all enjoying these treats.

We also started celebrating St. Nicholas Day. This was a fun holiday for our kids when they were younger--gave them a little bit of excitement in early December. Unfortunately our younger son talked it up so much in kindergarten that all the other kids wanted to put their shoes out, too!

Another European-related family tradition for us is buying a Belsnickel figure from my husband's hometown in PA. The Belsnickel is a rather scary Pennsylvania Dutch figure similar to Krampus
http://www.ety.com/HRP/walshcomments/belsnickel.htm
Old Dec 14th, 2007, 02:39 AM

Christmas in Ireland to me is

meeting friends in the pub in Dublin city centre on Christmas Eve for a few drinks (after finishing some last minute shopping!) before travelling to my parents house for dinner.

going to mass on Christmas morning followed by drinks in an aunts house where lots of relatives and friends gather for mulled wine and smoked salmon on brown bread.

Then we go for a short walk on the beach with the dog, before going back to my parents for our Christmas dinner at about 5pm (turkey, ham, bread sauce, stuffing, brussell sprouts, carrots, potatoes, etc and then plum pudding with brandy butter sauce and cream for dessert).

After dinner we have present opening by the Christmas tree and we settle down to watch some tv for the evening!
Old Dec 14th, 2007, 07:14 AM

We spent last xmas in Spain and it was fantastic!! We were in Andalusia near the ocean where it is warm and similar to our xmas at home in California. We like that!

http://www.soultravelers3.com/blog/D...F2A47737B.html

We had wonderful carolers who came and sang traditonal songs one night a few nights before xmas which was magical.My favorite part of xmas in Spain are the festivals. There big celebration is on Jan 6th ( like much of Europe) which is 3 kings day where they have some of our village neighbors dress up as the kings, & the kids play mary & Joseph and ride on a donkey.

This was a highlight for us:

http://www.soultravelers3.com/podcas...B633AE3AF.html

and this my daughter and the school kids singing in traditional dress too:

http://www.soultravelers3.com/podcas...63481D567.html

Flamenco is always part of the celebration as well, so my 6yo joined in:

http://www.soultravelers3.com/podcas...91B31E959.html

I love all the little santa clauses that are hanging from the white cube houses in our village and the fire works that go with the holiday as well.

We love it so much that we are here for another winter and xmas!! It has forever changed our view of xmas and we will bring the lovely new Spanish xmas songs that we now love.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -