Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

7 full days in Switzerland with home base in Montreux. Help?

Search

7 full days in Switzerland with home base in Montreux. Help?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16th, 2018, 03:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thank yuo ALL, sorry i am limited with my replies ( only 2 allowed in 24 hours as per this website) i got tons of very useful information, cannot thank you enough. I already booked 8 nights in air bnb (before i made an original post) . i might omit few of my original ideas and add Yvoire.. This is not my first European trip but first time to Switzerland. Cannot wait to have aything in common with Nabokov, Chaplin ,Freddi Mercury and many others
Old Jan 16th, 2018, 05:10 PM
kja

Nonconformist’s point about the boat to Geneva is a good one. You have MANY options for shorter boat rides in and around Geneva or Montreux. I particularly enjoyed the one from the Chateau Chillon to Vevey (from which you can take a train back to Montreux) and from Geneva around just a bit of the western part of the lake before returning to the same dock.

Actually, there ARE places that decline DCC and fail to honor one’s request to charge in local currency and it IS an unnecessary extra cost.

No worries about the delays in your responses.
Old Jan 16th, 2018, 05:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
" I assume that there are no places that demand payment with DCC and you always have the right to pay in local currency with a charge card or of course cash. "

The card companies say that you have the right. Enforcing it is another matter. First, you have notice that an attempt is being made to pull the scam. Then you have to dispute it, at which point you may be told that the transaction cannot be done in the local currency or cannot be reversed if you caught it after it was run. At that point you should refuse to sign and write on the charge slip you wanted to pay in local currency but were unable to do so.
Old Jan 16th, 2018, 06:19 PM
kja

Sorry -- I misspoke, and didn't catch it in time to edit it. Here's a corrected statement:

Originally Posted by kja
Actually, there ARE places that decline impose DCC and fail to honor one’s request to charge in local currency and it IS an unnecessary extra cost.
thursdaysd's advice is, as usual, right on target -- but IME, not all CC companies will fight the excess charge. Mine (a credit union) refused to do so the two times I got caught by a DCC, both in northern Spain.
Old Jan 16th, 2018, 06:38 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Interesting comments about DCC. We actively avoid it, but it's never been a problem for us in Switzerland. We were just there for two weeks last month - in every single case when I used a credit card, I inserted the card into the reader, it gave me the option of paying in CHF or USD - I pushed the button for CHF and voilà! Exactly how is that a scam?
Old Jan 16th, 2018, 06:42 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
And FWIW, we ran into many restaurants/cafes in Switzerland that didn't take credit cards at all - but we tend to visit outside the major tourist areas.
Old Jan 16th, 2018, 06:52 PM

Hi Be sure to take more than one major credit card. Also I like to have some local currency so I can hit the ground running, and not have to start the search for the money changer when getting off the plane. Be sure to let your credit card/customer service know that you will be out of the country and dates so card will not be blocked. I used Am EX in Switzerland with no problem, but had back up cards too. Sue
Old Jan 16th, 2018, 06:52 PM
kja

As I mentioned, my problems with DCC were in Spain, where I always expressed my preference to pay in euros, not dollars. Even so, two places ran the charge -- against my clearly stated wishes -- in US dollars. As a result, I had to pay a transaction fee that I would not have incurred if my choice had been honored.

I've more typically been offered the choice, but sometimes with a preface that makes it sound like a great thing for me, or that suggests that there is no difference for me. Wrong!

I think travelers are well-advised to know about DCC so they can make well-informed choices about how to approach it and what to do if their wishes are not honored.
Old Jan 17th, 2018, 05:05 AM
Original Poster

@swandav2000 , i made reservation in Le 45 - Grand Hôtel Suisse-Majestic ( based on the reviews and lake view) any suggestions? Also we are going to stay 3 bus stops north from clarens train station
Old Jan 17th, 2018, 07:49 AM

If you will not consider changing your stay in Montreux, I would agree that a day trip up to the Jungfrau is just too far; If you possibly can drop 2-3 nights from Montreux, I would strongly recommend it. That said, Montreux is a lovely place, especially Lausanne & Vevey, all quick rides by train. There's a great Nestle food museum in Vevey right by the fork in the lake. Lausanne is steep but the funicular will get up atop for its marvelous views. Check schedules for chocolate and cheese trains, they are not daily year-round. Would also recommend taking the train into Geneva unless the weather is outstanding, much faster. Do take the boat over to Chateau de Chillon in Montreux. We stayed at the Eurotel Riviera on the lake and had a wonderful meal at Le Rouvenaz (recommended above by another Fodorite). We ran into locals there who by coincidence had worked here in NJ many years ago. As to keeping lid on dining expenses, they reommended we go to the wonderful European food hall that is in the center of Geneva by the clock tower: the Globus dept. store! My husband and I each picked our meals from a wonderful variety of quality cuisine. Think Harrods London and Plaza NYC in the set up. Other than a beautiful lakeside stroll to see the hotel and statue of Empress Cici's demise, Geneva offers mostly 5-&-6-figure watch stores only!
Old Jan 17th, 2018, 08:24 AM
Original Poster

noted, thank you
Old Jan 17th, 2018, 11:27 AM

Yes to really fulfill dreams of Swiss Alps base in Interlaken area 2-3 days and fly home from Zurich if possible.
Old Jan 17th, 2018, 01:57 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
You have WAY too many day trips covering too great a distances. And not enough time for the wonderful things to see and do right in Vevey and Montreux. The boat round-trip to Geneva takes way too long. If you are really set on doing this, at least only do it one way and take the train back.

My favorite things are: Street Farmers Markets (Montreux on Friday AM, Vevey Tues and Sat AM). Chateau de Chillon. The tram up Rocher de Naye if the weather is clear. Walking the quai - lakeside promonade on Lac Leman. For a day trip I really enjoyed Gruyeres, not the cheese/chocolate deal, but to see the castle there. It's magnificent and different era from Chillon so completely different experiences.

Yes eat out of the grocery stores and bakeries. And watch (especially in Vevey on the pedestrian streets) for a blackboard outside the local-style restaurants at lunch time. They feature a "workman's lunch" traditionally home cooking at lower prices than tourist places.
Old Jan 17th, 2018, 02:31 PM
Original Poster

thank you @suze , you bring a good points
Old Jan 17th, 2018, 03:04 PM

i have a life-long dear friend who lives in Vevey/Montreux so i've visited her 5 different trips & she showed me around to all the local high-lights. It's an amazingly beautiful area, I think, and deserves more than being rushed through while you try to see the rest of the country in such a short stay!
Old Jan 17th, 2018, 09:36 PM

Hi again,

Your accommodation is 3 bus stops north of Clarens, yes? Did your hosts tell you which bus line? It looks like that is bus # 204, and 3 stops north of Clarens gare would be at Pertuiset. Or Tavel. Anyway, that's pretty far inland and uphill, and that's not an area that I'm very familiar with. However, I did a search on google maps for the area, and there doesn't appear to be a supermarket near there. However, there is a big Migros and a big Denner both in the center of Clarens between Avenue Alexander Vinet and Rue du Lac, and between Rue du Leman and Ave. des Pleiades. You should be able to hit those stores before you hop on a bus up to your rooms. I really suggest that you take a look at google maps and look around and see what's in the area. I've stayed in Clarens a couple of times but actually don't like the area much. You might actually be at the beginning of the vineyards that rise above Montreux & Vevey above the lake.

Sorry, no, I don't know anything about that restaurant at the Suisse-Majestic. I've never gone inside that hotel! I'm sure it will be great though!

Have fun!

s

p.s. I am still hoping to be able to put those links in so that you (and others) will have a cleaner view.
Old Jan 18th, 2018, 08:02 AM

Once again, until April 14th, the 4 daily BOATS between Vevey and Chillon castle will run ON SUNDAYS ONLY
Old Jan 18th, 2018, 09:05 AM

It's a wonderful lakeside stroll Montreux-Chillon via walking paths or there are buses Vevey-Chillon - for boats I'd consider a longer ride like to Evian-les-Bains - a French water resort (Swiss Pass fully valid) - of course it it's a Sunday.

Wonder if you can hire private boats?
Old Jan 18th, 2018, 09:08 AM

Oh dear, I didn't realize the lodging wasn't right IN Montreux. That will put a bit of extra time on everything then. Do you know how far the place is from the train station? That would be one way to judge. If you're not walking distance to the center of town, as swandav already point out you'll need to learn to get around on the bus???
Old Jan 18th, 2018, 09:52 AM

Anyway I agree either stay within a few hours travel time of Montreux or better split bases - you could find just as cheap nice airbnbs in say Interlaken - but there is plenty to do in Montreux area - guided excursion to Chamonix could give you the thrill of the high Alps in a lot less time.

But if were me I'd decide where I wanted to spend my time and base in each area. If never been to Switzerland you are short-changing yourself by basing only in Montreux, remote from most Alpine areas.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -