Sicily or Puglia 2+ weeks March 2018?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11th, 2017, 03:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are thinking of 2+ weeks in either Sicily or Puglia next March, leaving mid-March returning March 31, probably 18 days which includes fly days.

We have been to Siracusa/Ortigia and loved it, so we have thought of exploring the rest of the Island. We have also heard that Puglia is amazing.

We will have a car, enjoy driving back roads, like to find pretty small villages/towns in addition to staying at some of the more popular/larger towns. Like to stay in one place for 3-4 days as a base.

We don't care about beaches and swimming (probably obvious since we're going in March!) unless they are beautiful natural sites with walking.

I'm having a little bit of a hard time deciding if we would like Puglia. If I load Google Images of Sicily and Puglia, Sicily looks more mountainous (which we like) cliffs like Amalfi Coast (which we like) and more UNESCO world heritage sites.

Puglia looks quite flat, lots of beaches, a little stark?

Also, would we have more difficulty in either area with Restaurants etc being closed?

So, would love some fans of both areas to weigh in!
Old Aug 11th, 2017, 04:23 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
We have been twice to Sicily and loved it both times. Only been once to Puglua and also enjoyed it. Outside of the Gargano I think Puglia is a bit flat. The landscape is very different than Sicily. While the food is also different is also excellent. From what you have written, I think you might prefer Sicily. Lots to explore there.
Old Aug 11th, 2017, 06:13 AM

We have been twice to Puglia and twice to Sicily. agree with yestravel, Sicily sounds like it meets your needs? more than Puglia.
Although the rolling hills in Puglia are very pretty, much of the southern part is very flat. There are some dramatic bits of coast line, with caves that you can explore, and Gargano Peninsula, which is more rugged, but I fear that much of everything would be closed at that time of year in the touristy zones.

Lecce is wonderful, IMO the best example of baroque, and a very nice small lived in city.

On the other hand, Sicily has a plethora of things to see and do, and you would have no problem filling 2 weeks there. Also, springtime is much greener in Sicily than if you go there later on in the year. Yes, you have the chance of rain, but the highways are good, and you can get around the island easily.
Old Aug 11th, 2017, 07:22 AM

Been to both and loved both. I have photos here:
Puglia - andiamo.zenfolio.com/f274018858
Sicily - andiamo.zenfolio.com/p379649825

Loved Puglia but thinking maybe in March Sicily might be better. I did a trip report for Puglia (http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...ast-puglia.cfm)
Old Aug 11th, 2017, 08:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been to both, and while I enjoyed Puglia, it didn't have the impact that Sicily did. I cannot say for certain why, but Lecce didn't resonate with me the way that most other Italian cities do, and it certainly wouldn't be high on my list of places I want to return to.
Old Aug 11th, 2017, 02:47 PM
kja

I enjoyed Puglia; I adored Sicily, and (like the above posters), I adored it for all the reasons you mention -- PLUS, IMO, Sicily has a much greater diversity of scenery, sites, opportunities, etc. And IMO, 18 days is well suited for Sicily; it would be too much for me in Puglia, although I’m sure that many people would find that time frame ideal for it.
Old Aug 12th, 2017, 04:23 AM

Great photos, Isabel.

Has anyone also been to Croatia?

We are thinking of a rather last minute trip this October. We spent three weeks in Sicily in October and loved Sicily. For this trip we are debating between Puglia and Croatia.