Search

Barcelona and ????

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2014, 05:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Barcelona and ????

Hello All Fodor Friends ~

Currently in the planning stage for an October/November 2014 trip to Spain. Will be there for 8 full days (my vacation is 10 days and therefore subtracted 2 days for travelling to and from). I am figuring 4 solid days in Barcelona with a 1-day trip to Valencia and possibly some other place—maybe. Any suggestion on a different place within Spain for 3 days? I know its 7 days, but will need a day to be back in Barcelona to catch flight back to states. I am willing to travel by air, train, bus or rent a car. I’ve been to Bilbao, San Sebastian, and Salamanca a couple of years ago. Actually LOVED Bilbao. I am taking a friend this time and it is his second time travelling to Europe and he wants to experience as much as he can. Therefore, I want him to experience the contrast in different regions of Spain. I was thinking of 3 days in either Galica, Granda, Seville or Oviedo. Any suggestions? For us, it is about walking, experiencing architecture, great church art, and definitely eating along the way including outstanding dinners.

Looking forward to your responses ~
Old May 31st, 2014, 01:55 AM

Both Madrid and Sevilla are fantastic cities and will each in very different ways offer a stark contrast to Barcelona. Both will tick all your boxes.

Medrid is the majestic capital, world class museums, and the best nightlife in the world. In many ways the antithesis to modernistic and Gothic Barcelona. The soccer rivalry between Real Madrid and FC Barcelona is one of the most heated in the world, for both sport, historical and cultural reasons. Always updated info about Madrid: http://www.esmadrid.com/en/portal.do

Maribel's guide to excellent restaurants and tapas bars in Madrid: http://maribelsguides.com/mg_madriddining.pdf

If you go to Valencia, Madrid is a short high speed AVE train ride away. Also AVE train from Madrid to Barcelona, city center to city center, in 2h 30 min.

Sevilla is the queen of the cities in the almost mythical Andalucía region in the South. A fairy-tale of a city. Roman, Christian, Jewish, Moslem and Gitano history and culture everwhere and hand in hand with also very modern Sevilla. The Spanish philosopher Ortega y Gasset's words from 1927 in his "A theory of Andalucía" is almost as valid today: In Seville, the visitor might suspect that local people has accepted to play masquerade roles and take part in the display of a magnificent ballett called "Sevilla".

Good info about Sevilla: http://www.exploreseville.com/
Regarding great tapas bars and restaurants, Azahar lives in Sevilla and knows what she's talking about: http://azahar-sevilla.com/sevilletapas/
Old May 31st, 2014, 01:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Barcelona to Valencia trip isn't a good day trip. By train it's a three hour journey each way and the return road distance is 700kms. I'm not sure that you can catch a direct flight without going via Madrid.

To visit Valencia, you really need to give it 2 or more days, so perhaps this is your other base. If you fly down and your flight times can work, you could fly back to BCN and catch your flight home.
Old May 31st, 2014, 03:40 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
IMO, Seville is wonderful but there'd be much more to see and do in Madrid.
Old May 31st, 2014, 07:18 AM

As said, Valencia is NOT a day trip
Seville is easily reached by Vueling ..Perfect for 3 days if you like smaller cities.
Old Jun 2nd, 2014, 09:07 AM

Bookmarking. Hope to see more discussion
Old Jun 2nd, 2014, 11:40 AM

Sturion wrote: "need a day to be back in Barcelona to catch flight back to states"

If you can fly open-jaw, into one city and out of another, you wouldn't have to waste time going back to Barcelona again at the end of the trip.
Old Jun 5th, 2014, 01:33 PM

I totally agree with Kimhe. If I understand you correctly you are flying in/out of Barcelona. I would split time between 2 destinations. Both Madrid and Seville are easily accessible. I would probably do Barca last, and although Madrid is amazing, for variety I don't think you can beat Seville. Enjoy!
Old Jun 5th, 2014, 01:34 PM

But if you haven't booked plane tix yet, definitely fly open jaw!
Old Jun 5th, 2014, 01:46 PM

Currently spending a month in Spain...definately skip Valencia with such a short time span..Seville was one of our highlights, it's gorgeous and ticks all your boxes...3 nights is plenty. Stay in the Santa Anna plaza area - it was close to the action, but quiet, and sooo pretty...if you spend another night in Seville,you can do an organised day trip to Granada, that is enough. the main city central is not worth seeing, the Sacramento/Alabycin area is great, book Alhumbra tickets before you go..
Old Jun 5th, 2014, 02:34 PM

<< I am figuring 4 solid days in Barcelona with a 1-day trip to Valencia and possibly some other place>>

How are you going to swing that? Barcelona-Valencia is a 3+ hour train ride and similar by rubber-wheeled vehicle. There is no fast train between them.

Seville is neat. I want to go back. Cordoba's Jewish Quarter and Mezquita are very interesting and thisclose to Seville.
Old Jun 6th, 2014, 04:43 AM

The natural combo with Barcelona to me is San Sebastian and the Basque region of Spain and France.
Old Jun 6th, 2014, 07:49 AM

A stopover in Tarragona, just 45 minutes from Barcelona, could work. Though the town is large, the old section overlooking the sea is manageable for a solid day trip. Many Roman Ruins including a well preserved amphitheater, capitol building, forum, city walls, museums and one of the most interesting cathedrals with many small frescoed chapels, a museum and cloister. We delightfully walked the winding streets finding unexpected plazas with outdoor seating and a Roman ruin or two. Two restaurant suggestions are the newly opened organic food, wine and beer, Almosta, near the Placa de Forum, and AQ near the cathedral.
Old Jun 6th, 2014, 08:30 AM

If you already have tickets into and out of Barcelona, don't stay twice in Barcelona anyway. Upon arrival, take the fast train to Madrid or a cheap flight to Seville or Granada. Skip Valencia.

Seville is the embodiment of old world charm and is a beautiful and walkable city. Should you want to rush it, you could even do a day trip to Cordoba from Seville.

Madrid, has world class museums and is a lovely, elegant city, but another great thing are the very easy and quick day trips you can do to Toledo and Segovia. I would visit the Prado and tour the Palace one day, and spend a day in Toledo. Then, either a day in another museum plus Retiro Park or a day trip to Segovia. Both are good, just personal choice and interest.

A third option is Granada if you can get a cheap flight. Many people go only for the Alhambra and it is worth going just for that. However, the city is quite interesting with unique neighborhoods and olive groves and caves nearby. It is one of my favorite cities in Spain. I prefer it over Seville.

You could not go wrong with any of these. Unless one has something that especially calls to you, I might see which worked best logistically as the deciding factor. If you can get a well timed cheap flight to Seville or Granada, go with one of those. I would lean towards Granada if it worked out because if you get back to Spain and land in Madrid, you could pair that more easily with Seville and Cordoba on another trip. If flights do not work, then go to Madrid by train.

Put all your time in Barcelona together at the end of the trip so you do not have to get to and check in and out of a hotel twice.
Old Jun 6th, 2014, 05:11 PM

While I would pick Barcelona and seville for your trip, I have to disagree with the posters that said there's nothing pig to see in Granada's city center. Granada has some wonderful cathedral and churches from Around the 1600s, some great restaurants and cafés, a touristy yet fun Arab quarter and spice markets. I loved Granada .
Old Jun 10th, 2014, 06:45 AM

Barcelona and (I would have said Marbella - put you are going out of season) so Madrid I would strongly recommend
Old Jun 10th, 2014, 06:58 AM

Bookmark