Search

ideas - souveneirs to get from Paris

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10th, 2011, 05:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ideas - souveneirs to get from Paris

Hello

I am thinking of what to get for my friends when I am in Paris - Besides T-shirts and pins with the word Paris, what are the souvenirs I can get. Any suggestions. Thank you
Old Aug 10th, 2011, 05:48 AM

Small gold metal Eiffel towers, wine, cheese, foie gras, macarons, posters (I like B&W Paris scenes), chocolates, olive oil, perfume, bath/soap products....
Old Aug 10th, 2011, 07:36 AM

Scarves from Diwali (about 15€ and up).

We got good inexpensive chocolates from Monoprix.
Old Aug 10th, 2011, 07:38 AM

Call me cheap...but our idea of great souvenirs are photos - - lots and lots of them. We only use carry-ons; never check luggage, so we can't bring much back.

(However, we do collect refrigerator magnets. )

SS
Old Aug 10th, 2011, 10:17 AM

The kitchen store chain called La Vaissellerie has lots of interesting little inexpensive knicknacks. The stationery departments of the main department stores have all kinds of interesting small items. All the tourist stores around the Centre Pompidou and Notre Dame and the Latin Quarter are overflowing with souvenirs.

I must say I don't understand buying things for friends with the word Paris on them...if they didn't actually go to Paris, it seems a little odd. But you'll certainly find nice small presents everywhere.
Old Aug 10th, 2011, 10:27 AM

On Ile St Louis there is a store called Pylones (one of 7 in Paris) that has all sorts of neat little objects.
Old Aug 10th, 2011, 10:35 AM

The trouble with many of these little things is they are not made in France, they're made in China so what's the point?

If you must bring back a gift, bring back food. Chocolates, cookies, something unusual. A post card from a museum shop is nice.

Personally, I prefer not to recieve gifts from other people's travel. If I hadn't been Paris a keychain with the Eiffel would mean little to me and end up in a drawer. I've been to Paris and a keychain with the Eiffel on it means nothing to me. I've seen the real thing.
Old Aug 10th, 2011, 10:40 AM

I like to bring back coffee and Champagne from Hediard.

I also like the Sensodyne Toothpaste with whitening from Monoprix. It works better than anything I have used in the US.

Pippy
Old Aug 10th, 2011, 10:42 AM

Pylones is a favorite! And as St Cirq mentioned
La Vaissellerie has loads of small inexpensive things. There is one right next to our Paris Apt. and I go in several times a week. Last trip I bought the cutest cheese knives. the handles look like swiss cheese and a little mouse on top and Paris shopping bags, darling little butter dishes, My favorite is the Chat one!Also Ricard coffee houses has some wonderful trays with naive Paris scenes. Eveyone I have gotten them for loves them , though most have hung them rather than using as trays. Even mine is hung!
Old Aug 10th, 2011, 10:57 AM

Not been, but the basement of the BHV store is often mentioned as a good place to find unique house items.
Old Aug 10th, 2011, 12:01 PM

I bought loads of things from all the tourist shops located near Notre Dame, my main purchases being scarves and berets! My friends and family absolutely love their authentic Parisian berets. I wish I'd bought more, but my suitcase was already full as I had about 7 berets and 5 scarves, plus everything I had collected in the UK, Italy, and Switzerland. Even my brother likes his beret, he uses it for a costume piece whereas I use my ones as winter fashion. Berets are WAY cooler than T-shirts!
Old Aug 10th, 2011, 12:03 PM

Must say..I've never seen an authentic Parisian beret being worn...by a Parisian
Old Aug 10th, 2011, 01:02 PM

I agree with the food items. We brought back many boxes of french macaroons. All made it home in one piece. Depending on the weather, chocolates are also nice. It seems that all the chocolate in the US has some sort of preservatives in them. Otherwise I agree with L Sky. I really don't need a momento of your trip.
Old Aug 10th, 2011, 05:02 PM

Michael_Paris, me either! But berets are more fun for people at home than T-shirts, plus, T-shirts are hard to come by in Paris if you are larger than an American size 10/ Australian/NZ size 14, for ladies anyway. It is great fun to wear your beret like a Frenchman of old or soldier! Also, berets are the IN headwear in the fashion world this winter ( winter is still coming up for most of the posters on this board right? ), even though winter is fast becoming spring where I live.... I will admit, I spent a whole day in Paris wearing a navy beret, a white/navy striped scarf, and to top it all off I was also wearing a white top and navy skirt, and it was soooooo much fun! As I explored the long lines of tourists waiting to ascend the beautiful Tour Eiffel, I got Italian tourists asking to take their picture with me! Great fun! Did I mention that I have a photo of myself standing in front of the Eiffel Tower dressed like that....eating a crepe! You honestly can't get more French than that! Even if Parisians no longer sport their own fashions, does it mean that you or anyone you know can't have fun doing so? No indeed!
Old Aug 10th, 2011, 05:40 PM

<<Did I mention that I have a photo of myself standing in front of the Eiffel Tower dressed like that....eating a crepe! You honestly can't get more French than that>>

That isn't the slightest bit French at all, but your enthusiasm for it makes it all worthwhile. Go for it.
Old Aug 10th, 2011, 06:24 PM

When I say French, I mean cliche French. You know, the way French people don't really look, but you sort of wish they did because it's soooooo fun! I mean, they may have looked like that fifty years ago in Paris....
Old Aug 10th, 2011, 06:40 PM

Actually, many of them DID look like that 50 years ago in Paris, and you'd be surprised at how many of them look that way still out in La France Profonde...bicycling along with a beret on their heads and a baguette under their arms...have seen them many times. I get it.
Old Aug 11th, 2011, 05:50 AM

I found the gift shop at jardin de Tuilleries to have beautiful small prints, that I intend to put in frames for gifts. The gourmet shop at Le Bon Marche has wonderful items but if they're packaged in glass I avoided due to the weight.
Old Aug 11th, 2011, 06:53 AM

Depending on the season,the colors/designs change but whenever I'm in the food checkout at the Monoprix I buy at least 10 nylon bags -under a euro. They are near the cash registers and come folded up in a little bag (about 2 inches.They are much stronger/more attractive than the bags at supermarkets in U.S.
My friends love them!
Old Aug 11th, 2011, 07:36 AM

We started collecting magnets since they are small, don't break easily and have purpose where you will see/use them all the time. You'd be surprised at the number of people who have a cup/mug or shot glass collection going.

We also have enjoyed aprons, foldable bread baskets in provencale cloth, honey, jellies or mustards (more convenient in a tube-form but maybe not as impressive). Breton Butter cookies are the most popular demand by family members. Anything from LaDurees comes in their distinctive green gift boxes, and can be something as simmple as fine chocolate wafers. Haribo candy has some varieties you can't find in the states.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -