Flights to Asia with free stop-over?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26th, 2005, 10:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am starting to plan a trip to Asia this fall, and this will be my first attempt at solo travel, after previous trips to China and Thailand. I would like to know which airlines offer free stop-overs, so I can visit two countries for the price of one. I will be flying from San Francisco and subscribe to frequent flyer programs with both Delta and United. Can anyone help me out?
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 10:30 AM

Cathay Pacific and EVA Air allow stopovers in Hong Kong and Taipei respectively.
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 11:07 AM

Call your airlines directly and ask. At various times in the past, United has allowed stopovers in Japan. I believe they were limited to three days. But do call, as the rules on this do change.
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 02:47 PM

The rules for stopovers vary depending on the fare. You could look at the fare rules.

Or you could search for dates and destinations and find out what the fare is to a destination that requires a connection to reach. Then use the multiple cities option on a search that includes a stopover in the connecting city. You might find that the fare is the same or $50 or $100 higher with the stopover. You may have to try a few variations, like making the stopover on your outbound trip instead of on the return.

In addition to a stopover in Tokyo you probably could stopover in Hong Kong when travelling to Singapore or HCMC. Nagoya, Japan, is another possible stopover for travelling to Taipei. If you are interested in MileagePlus miles, then you should also look at stopover rules for flights on Thai, Singapore Air, ANA, Asiana, and Air Canada.
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 02:49 PM

I mentioned Tokyo, Hong Kong, and Nagoya because they are <u>United&lt;/&gt; connecting cities.</u>
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 02:50 PM

try again:
... they are <u>United</u> connecting cities.
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 01:40 AM

where and for how long will you be spending time in asia.

if you want true value you can check out asia passes offered by cathey and malaysian theh gives you 18 + + cities too pick and choose. r for just about the price of one. 1.

on many but NOT all routs you have too fly back too HONG KONG (cathey pacific) or KUALA LUMPUR (malaysian) too connect too other destination.
Old Aug 1st, 2005, 09:22 AM

United will allow you to do one stopover if you use frequent flyer points to buy your ticket. The stopover has to be in the same continent of your departure or destination city.
Old Aug 1st, 2005, 12:07 PM

I've been with United and Delta for decades and United was strict about stopovers in Japan I remember and on some flights at different times, it wasn't allowed. Delta(Korean Air) flies from L.A. to Bangkok with a layover in Seoul... a very long one...I think it's about 8 hours...so maybe you could just go into the city and check it out without staying there for days.I cashed in frequent flyer miles once to fly this route, but cancelled since I was ticked off that I had to cash in 70,000 Delta miles to get from L.A. to BK via Seoul as opposed to 60,000 miles on United to get from L.A. to BK via Tokyo. I decided it wasn't worth the 70,000 miles and the long layover.I cancelled the trip and decided to save the miles and go to Ghana, West Africa for an additional 10,000 miles. Oh, United now has a relatively new route between L.A. and Vietnam (Saigon). Check that one out and see if there's a stopover somewhere. Happy Travels!