Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Pubs showing NFL football in London?

Search

Pubs showing NFL football in London?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18th, 2017, 06:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We just finished a transatlantic crossing. NFL games were broadcast in one or more of the bars on several days. Fortunately, many other options to escape it.

It's everywhere.
Old Nov 19th, 2017, 04:52 AM

>>George Washington played cricket during the American Revolution<<

He owned slaves, too. No one's perfect.
Old Nov 19th, 2017, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

-Sky Sports is showing Green Bay Packers vs Pittsburgh Steelers at 1 am on Monday 27th November.-

I would love to but I have to fly the next day, and it might be difficult to find a bar open until 4 am... but thanks for the tip.

Heimdall I am going to go to the pub regardless of who they show but if you want to, go ahead and post the games. Hopefully they will be some good ones!
Old Nov 19th, 2017, 07:52 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
This is awful. I've been watching youtube videos trying to learn the rules of cricket. Me, who lived near Lord's and never once attended a match!>>

Never too late, Fra. You've got till Thursday [or Wednesday night depending on which time zone you're in] to get the hang of it.
Old Nov 19th, 2017, 09:39 AM

Rialtogrl, I did find a Sky Sports NFL listing, and it looks like there won't be any games broadcast live on Sunday before Packers v Steelers at 1 am Monday. That surprises me, because there are usually three games broadcast live every Sunday during the NFL season, and I am watching Rams v Vikings right now. If anything changes I will let you know.

Good news, though: on Sunday morning between 6:30 and 8:30 am, Sky Channel 407 will be broadcasting highlights of the three games in Alec's link (see his above post) played on Thanksgiving Day. If you are in London by then you will need to find somewhere open in the morning, or a hotel that has Sky Sports on their TV.
Old Nov 19th, 2017, 11:08 AM

Rialtogrl, things are looking better for you! Listings are slowly appearing on the Sky TV Guide as I am watching the Rams game, and they are now showing live NFL games on Sky 407 at 5:30 pm and 9 pm on the 26th. They aren't showing which games they will be yet, but they will be one of the 18:00 and 21:00 games on http://www.skysports.com/nfl/fixtures

Not only that, but at 6:00 pm on Sky 408 there is a program called "Live NFL: Redzone" which will show all the touchdowns from around the NFL.
Old Nov 19th, 2017, 11:46 AM

Not only that, but at 6:00 pm on Sky 408 there is a program called "Live NFL: Redzone" which will show all the touchdowns from around the NFL.>>

Be still my beating heart.
Old Nov 19th, 2017, 12:34 PM

I think ann is a closet NFL-watcher. She doth protest too much.
Old Nov 19th, 2017, 01:38 PM

think what you like, V.

what does NFL stand [or kneel] for again?
Old Nov 19th, 2017, 02:52 PM

annhig, NFL = National Football League.
Old Nov 19th, 2017, 04:05 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>Good news, though: on Sunday morning between 6:30 and 8:30 am, Sky Channel 407 will be broadcasting highlights of the three games in Alec's link <<

I find the 'highlight' shows annoying. Since the main highlights are usually on offense, they end up showing one offensive drive after another with no flow. If one team goes 3 and out or does nothing special in consecutive possessions you will see the other team 3, 4, 5, 6 times in a row.
Old Nov 20th, 2017, 12:12 AM
Original Poster

Heimdall, I am looking at the link you posted and I see they will show games on Thursday (Thanksgiving in the US) but not Sunday.

I wonder if because they are showing games on Thursday they will not show any on Sunday but I will keep an eye on it. I did not even think about Thursday games... thank you for posting the link!
Old Nov 20th, 2017, 01:14 AM

Dee_dee - annhig was joking !!! I liked your kneeling joke annhig.
Have you started an Ashes topic yet ? I'd better look !!
Old Nov 20th, 2017, 02:18 AM

<b>Rialtogrl</b>, I wondered about that too. Sky TV is a satellite service, and they update the schedules in a TV Guide on the television signal. They only show schedules up to 7 days in advance, which is why I couldn't see anything for next Sunday until last night.

While I was watching the Rams game they updated the schedule for next Sunday evening as follows: 407 SkySp ActionHD, 5:30 pm Live NFL: Game 1; 9:00 pm Live NFL: Sunday Game 2. I assume they will update the internet link as well, but for now they are in conflict. All I can say is, if they don't show NFL games live next Sunday, that will highly unusual.

Channel 407 is the HD channel. They show the same programs on Channel 473 in normal resolution.

Most major British sports, except cricket, take place on Saturday afternoons, so there is not much to conflict with American football on Sunday nights, or on Thursdays (Thanksgiving) either. Football, cricket and Formula One have their own dedicated Sky Sports channels, so little conflict there. Channel 407 is also used for Rugby Union, another sport I follow closely.

<b>Annhig</b>, I was at Twickenham for the England v Argentina match, and watched England v Australia on telly. After watching rugby it's hard to adapt to the slower pace of American football. I usually record it and fast-forward through all the pauses. ;-)
Old Nov 20th, 2017, 03:12 AM

>>think what you like, V. <<

You probably wear a New England Patriots jersey around the house on Sundays. Oh, wait. Bad example.
Old Nov 20th, 2017, 06:37 AM

<<Dee_dee - annhig was joking !!! I liked your kneeling joke annhig.

Have you started an Ashes topic yet ? I'd better look !!>>

Well spotted, Northie. Glad you got [and liked!] the joke.

I haven't started an Ashes thread yet - last time i did that I ended up getting myself banned by starting multiple threads. Where should it go? Here? on the Oz forum?

There was a piece on Radio 4 this am about the beginning of the last series at the Gabba and how intimidating the atmosphere is there. I can certainly agree with that, and we were only in the crowd. 80,000 people screaming "Broady is a w..ker" is not something to be trifled with, but the Aussies sitting around us could not have been more charming. Ironically Broad was one of the few who didn't crumble under the onslaught.

<<I was at Twickenham for the England v Argentina match, and watched England v Australia on telly. After watching rugby it's hard to adapt to the slower pace of American football. I usually record it and fast-forward through all the pauses. >>

Shame it wasn't the other way round, Heimdall - the Argentinian match was a bit of a dud by all accounts but the one on Sat was a hum dinger, to rival the 2012 England v NZ win. [we was there!] you're right about the pace of rugby - to adapt to the slower pace of NFL I turn it off!

BTW is anyone else watching the Rugby league world cup? some great games, and who knew that Lebanon played rugby?
Old Nov 20th, 2017, 06:51 AM

Annhig, that was my first time at Twickenham, and I enjoyed it very much. I also enjoyed your reply to Margo: <i>"Though perhaps we can find some Rugby to watch, I'm sure we'd both enjoy, say, England v Australia. Do you know of such a match, perchance?"</i> ;-)
Old Nov 20th, 2017, 07:46 AM

I'm glad you had good time at Twickers, Heimdall. Getting there has always seemed a bit of a pain, but worth it in the end. That match in 2012 was the last one DH and I went to there [oops, I'd forgotten the County Championships a couple of years ago] and we had tickets right up in the top of the uppermost tier which I thought were pants but turned out to be great as virtually all the tries were scored right in front of us. Fab.

Margo is feeling a bit sore about the England v Oz match - something to do with the ref I gather.
Old Nov 20th, 2017, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again Heimdall. I really appreciate all your help.
Old Nov 22nd, 2017, 11:06 AM

Rialtogrl, the 5:30pm game will be Chicago v Philadelphia, and the 9:00pm game will be New Orleans v LA Rams. There will be updates of other games during the broadcasts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -