Blue Grotto Amalfi

Search

Blue Grotto Amalfi

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12th, 2017, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blue Grotto Amalfi

We are traveling in early August to the amalfi coast with our 3 year old son and would like to visit the blue grotto. My husband and I are deliberating whether one of us can do the blue grotto or we can do it turn by turn (with one parent entertaining our child).

We understand August is very busy and are trying to decide if the wait and effort will be worth it?! Also, we read about emerald grotto which seems less busier. Is that an easier and better alternative (not the same of course but lets us enjoy something close to the blue grotto.

Would appreciate feedback / thoughts!

THANK YOU!!!
Old Jul 12th, 2017, 09:42 AM

You do know the Blue Grotto is on Capri? So first you will need to get to Capri.

There is a way to do the Blue Grotto that would be easier but you will need to get from the marina to the other end of the island. There is a swim club there and usually you can get a small boat there that goes directly to the grotto (more or less). Some days there is no access due to high seas.

We did see the green grotto which is on the coast when we had a private driver that stopped there. Certainly easier access - was quite awhile ago - don't remember how they compare. But I'm not sure trying to do the blue grotto with a 3 year old would blue something I would want to try.
Old Jul 12th, 2017, 10:30 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I think they supply life jackets for everyone, but if your son isn't 'water safe' already, I wouldn't do it even with life jackets.
Old Jul 12th, 2017, 11:59 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We had to wait three days on Capri until the choppy seas calmed down enough for the boats to go out. You can't count on bring ableto do it so be prepared that this may happen. The cerries will stille running.
Old Jul 12th, 2017, 01:49 PM

There is also never an absolute guarantee that ferries will be running. Service can be suspended if conditions are rough.
Old Jul 12th, 2017, 04:06 PM

To me, this is one of those I can skip it and never miss it moments.
Old Jul 12th, 2017, 04:58 PM
kja

I must admit that I’m glad to have seen the Blue Grotto, but as others are noting, there are no guarantees about the weather and tides (and so whether it is feasible at all) and you would have to get to and from Capri. The “usual” tours would not necessarily be able to accommodate your desire to take turns, although doing so could, perhaps, be an option; taking a private tour would not be inexpensive; IIRC, getting to the place that suec1 mentions could involve a time-consuming effort while dealing with crowds. (And in August, the crowds can be daunting!) I think you would have to be extremely committed to seeing the Blue Grotto, and willing to make a substantial investment in both time and money, to make it a priority. JMO. Jean’s point about your son’s level of water safety is, of course, a critical one.
Old Jul 13th, 2017, 03:31 AM
Original Poster

Hi All, Thank you for the helpful feedback. Given our short trip, how busy August can be and the time and effort it takes to see the Blue Grotto, we are going to give it a miss this time! I am sure we will return to the Amalfi coast at some later point in life and will try to do it then Thank you again!
Old Jul 13th, 2017, 04:43 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
The main part of Capri is a nice walk.

The Blue Grotto is an utter waste of time.

Unless of course, you want to hear a guy on your boat sing Volare and then have him stick out his hand for tips over and above the ticket price.

Oh, you do see a bit of a blue light in the water.
Old Jul 13th, 2017, 06:02 AM

"Oh, you do see a bit of a blue light in the water."

And only if it's a bright, sunny day, and the sun is at the 'right' point in the sky for the rays to shine into the grotto.
Old Jul 13th, 2017, 09:14 AM

BLUE GROTTO- SKIPPING IT on your trip is something that you will not regret. Just my opinion.

STAYING ON CAPRI & STAYING IN POSITANO were far more special to me then the excursion to the Grottos.

years ago I did take boat ride to see the Green Grotto....(from boat when based in Positano) It seemed like an amusement park ride, but I had the time as I had many days in Positano & Capri.

The actual boat ride to the Grotto was the best part as it is so beautiful being on the water along the coast.

Enjoy your trip.......it is a fantastic destination with great food, sun, beautiful scenery, and dramatic views everywhere!
TrendGirl2
Old Jul 13th, 2017, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Meyer, Jean and Trendgirl for re-confirming!!! We can enjoy our trip without feeling like we missed out on anything big!!!

We are staying in Positano for 3 days and planning one day for Positano, a second day for Capri and Anacapri and exploring the coast from Positano to Salerno (with stops in Amalfi and Ravello) on day 3. We will likely do a private excursion for the 3rd day but would appreciate any tips / recommendations!!! Thank you!
Old Jul 13th, 2017, 09:40 AM
ekc

You can easily take the ferry to Amalfi and then a taxi or bus up to Ravello. No need for a private excursion.

www.travelmar.it for ferry schedules.
Old Jul 13th, 2017, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks ekc for the feedback!
Old Jul 13th, 2017, 10:12 AM

On day 3, don't push yourselves to get all the way to Salerno. Enjoy Amalfi and Ravello without looking at your watch, and maybe push to Maiori before turning around. The coast is pretty beyond that point, but how much time do you want to spend in a car or bus?

On that note and JMO, with a 3 y.o., I would splurge for a private driver on day 3. As ekc pointed out, you can do the day on public trans, but you may want/need to stop here or there for your son. Some people get car sick on the bus and/or seasick on the ferry. The buses will be extremely crowded (SRO), and if you end up sitting on the 'wrong' side you won't see any of the view.
Old Jul 13th, 2017, 01:59 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Something that hasn't been mentioned.

If you get the chance, spend part of a day in Sorrento. We've been there twice and it's really nice.

Also, walk into a mall wherever you live and look for music boxes. There's a good chance there will be a little sticker on it that indicates it's made in Sorrento. There are many stores selling them and in the box of many is the workshop where they're made.
Old Jul 13th, 2017, 02:51 PM
kja

I agree that Amalfi and Ravello (glorious Ravello!) could easily take a full day. I would also say that I thought Salerno seriously underrated. But you should be able to play-it-by-ear when there....

Jean's advice about the merits of a private car & driver is worth considering. The local transportation (whether bus or ferry) can get VERY crowded at that time of year, and IME, people weren't inclined to honor lines, but instead tried to push and shove to get on, no matter how many people had already been waiting.
Old Jul 13th, 2017, 05:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, darling, I have stayed at Quisisana three times and I have never seen the Blue Grotto.

I much prefer shopping for shoes at Tod's.

And it is a well-known fact in Capri that I like to bring a Campari spritz with me on the bus to Anacapri.

By the way, I have one of those Sorrento music boxes on my Pierre Deux French blue (the same colour as Cigalechanta's Cambridge patio furniture) coffee table.

So there!

Thin
Old Jul 14th, 2017, 11:59 AM
Original Poster

Hi All,

Thank you so much for all the helpful tips. It is good to know that we don't need to go all the way to Salerno. Planning on focusing on Amalfi and Ravello and then returning. This is our updated plan:

Day 1: Arrive in Naples and transfer to Positano. Enjoy Positano
Day 2: Capri and Anacapri (skip blue grotto)
Day 3: Amalfi and Ravello (either ferry or private driver). Our hotel is offering the driver for 35 euros and hour and said we can confirm once we get there.

Very excited about our trip!
Old Jul 14th, 2017, 12:26 PM

If you'd like to get an additional quote for a private driver, I can recommend Sorrento Cars, http://sorrentocars.com, which I used for transfers to and from the Amalfi Coast in May 2015. Ugo responded promptly to emails and his prices were quite competitive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -