Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Ideas re Venice off the beaten track?

Search

Ideas re Venice off the beaten track?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15th, 2016, 01:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, kappa1, that's the one, thanks. There is a more well-known version in another area. DH and I stumbled upon it on our first trip to Venice. We had time to kill waiting for Vap to Murano and found it. It was closed for restoration for a few years if memory serves.

StCirq, La Rotunda (Jefferson copied it for Monticello) is a bit out of Vincenza. DH and I got stuck there before cell phones with no ticket for the bus. Plan ahead but I think it's worth a see.
Old Aug 15th, 2016, 02:22 PM

Thanks, TDudette. I'm so glad people have mentioned Vicenza because I love the place but it didn't occur to me to include it on this trip. I remember seeing La Rotunda years and years ago. Will have to research, because we won't have a car for this, and late December buses could be tricky.
Old Aug 15th, 2016, 03:57 PM

Learn to row a batela and get a history and culture lesson at the same time with RowVenice. Fabulous!
Old Aug 15th, 2016, 06:58 PM

StCirq, did you see Teatro Olimpico when you were in Vicenza? In most cathedrals and churches, I admire the decorative beauty, but Teatro Olimpico, is, IMHO, spatial perfection intensified by simplicity of decoration, plus the incredible stage. I hope you like it too, and can show it to your DH. All the Palladian buildings in Vicenza now have odd hours, some open a few hours one day and some another day, so check hours of what you want to see.