Reload this Page >

Mexico destination for family vacation - not $$$$$

Search

Mexico destination for family vacation - not $$$$$

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2016, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Still researching! Location will depend on airfare costs and whether non- stop flights are available. Right now, also considering Akumal. Looks like good spot to swim and snorkel, plus there are some good lodging options. Does anyone have any feedback on Akumal?
Old May 30th, 2016, 01:54 PM

I too like visitvallarta.com
This said, we spend our winters in and around PDC and visit Akumal now and then. It has changed quite a bit these past years as the region has been so popular that it is now very crowded and pricy, they even charge for parking now. What used to be a well known secret like Puerto Morelos, is now a destination all it´s own. Of course this is coming from someone who has seen the changes, as a first timer, this will not be apparent, except for the prices .You might consider Puerto Aventuras... Between PDC and Akumal !
Old May 30th, 2016, 06:55 PM

Looks like someone just suggested Puerto Morelos, but I would second it. Maybe rent a house there. It's been a few years now since I was there, but it's a great little town.
Old May 30th, 2016, 07:05 PM

I love Puerto Morelos and if I were to think of a town years ago with a small pier and a fishing kind of community, that would be it. But I do agree it has been discovered. I always laugh when people on other forums say the east coast is so "Americanized" when they only think of Cancun or Playa and PM is smack dab in between.
However Akumal is wonderful but again, getting very touristy due to the many tours coming there for the turtles. We always take the colectivo and just do our own thing, but there are so many boats and tours there now it is not as relaxing (kind of how the Marietas have become in PV). I guess all good things won't last as small places as long as we all keep visiting them. We are however going to try Tulum again this Feb and then Holbox. I hear they too are planning a big development there as well, so I would like to go back before they turn it into an Acapulco or PV or Cabo (think Burger King, Dominos, Home Depot, Walmart, etc.).
Old May 31st, 2016, 03:43 PM

You dont say how long but I would wager that your 2 teenage daughters will get bored with Puerto Morelos. Personaly, I like PM but only for an afternoon or for dinrr then head back to PDC. You should seriously consider Playacar. Fantastic wide beaches and the turquoise waters of course, walking distance to PDC , shopping, restaurants galore, activites and day trips, bike rental and if your tired you taxi back for under 100 pesos. The Reef hotel is on that beach, along with others for you to choose from. Your family will thank youfor this and so will your husband
Old Jun 2nd, 2016, 07:12 AM

maried,
The good news about Akumal is that there is that they are now limiting the amounts of tourist groups coming in to see the turtles. That of course, doesn't limit the amount of people walking down the beach.
Not sure if the big development you were referring to was Holbox but that was turned down.
Old Jun 5th, 2016, 05:15 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the additional advice! I would love to go to Tulum but that seems like a better destination if we were going without our kids.

I will look into Playacar. Think we've decided on flying into Cancun instead of PV because it's an easier flight from NY.

Definitely want to make sure there is a beautiful beach that's not full of seaweed (as I've been reading in many reviews on tripadvisor).
Old Jun 5th, 2016, 06:39 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
The Caribbean side of Mexico (Cancun) is noticeably more expensive than the Pacific side (Puerto Vallarta) generally speaking, circling back to your original post question.
Old Jun 5th, 2016, 07:27 AM

I am not sure how you would come to the conclusion that the Caribbean side is more expensive, when you have never been.
On the other hand , I have been to PV on several occasions and find that the costs are pretty much the same. It depends greatly on the area you choose. I have been to both high and low end rentals on both sides along with low and high end restaurants.
One distinct difference would be that PV old city or zona romantica section is saturated and has been for a great many years, thus enabling the condos, apts and hotels to hike their prices. On the Caribbean side, there is an incredible amount of space available to build condos restaurants and so much more thus forcing businesses to remain competitive and lets face it, the choice is quite frankly, astonishing !
Old Jun 5th, 2016, 11:08 AM

Both places have accommodations in all price ranges but since OP is flying into Cancun, let's stick to that area.
I have not stayed in Playacar, but as far as the sargassum, that pretty much disappeared over the winter/early spring, seems to have been kind of a onetime thing. There are areas that tend to get a bit more seaweed than others, Puerto Morelos for some reason has a bit more than other towns at times.
For a beautiful beach, take a trip to visit La Playa Beach Club on Xpu-Ha Beach, 40 pesos admission pp which is refundable if you spend 120 pesos pp (easy). They supposedly shot a Corona commercial here.
Old Jun 5th, 2016, 12:02 PM

Xpu-ha beach club, great place , as mentioned, keep your receipts for access reimbursement.
Also as mentioned, sargassum is a thing of the past, not sure why though.
You can also try Xcacel further down and Xcaleta cenote (same place). Both of these areas are protected areas as they are designated turtle laying grounds and strict measures are enforced to keep it clean, which was a first for me... A non smoking beach! You also need to pick up after yourself and leave the premises as is. There are no restaurants or bars here, just crystaline waters and white powdery sand, entrance fee not reimbursed, there are washrooms and ouside showers, thats it, closing time is 4.00 pm