Journey to Laos and Cambodia

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1st, 2016, 06:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are a group of 4 people and want to make a journey to Laos and Cambodia in April. We plan to stay there about 4-5 days and still have no idea what to do and where to go and stay. We just know about Luang Prabang in Laos and Angkor Wat Temple in Cambodia. Anyone have any suggestions?
Old Mar 1st, 2016, 08:10 PM

You do not have enough time to do both countries in 4-5 days. Decide on one country and then make your plans. Travel is slow and difficult in these countries unless you fly.

In your shoes I might make my decision based on where the weather is least hot.
Old Mar 2nd, 2016, 04:05 PM

I just got back from five weeks split between these two countries and I hardly made a dent. Julies is correct. Pick a country (unless you MUST see Angkor Wat) and I'd pick Laos- and choose what you want to do. You hardly have enough time to unpack, look around and really see anything. So plan carefully. You might want to read what I wrote about the airline before you consider flying. It was a complete disaster and you can sit in the airport for an entire day waiting to get out (Cambodia Angkor Air). You can't afford that with so few days.

The other consideration is what you do want to do or see?What kind of traveller/tourist are you guys? That determines what do see and do. Accommodations run the gamut but I can tell yo that prices in Cambodia's main towns came as a shock compared to neighboring countries. This may not be an issue. If it is, keep it in mind. Once you determine what interests you, post that and readers can respond with much better information.
Old Mar 2nd, 2016, 05:22 PM
Original Poster

#julies #jhubbel

Thanks for your advice. After considering, we decide to choose Laos as our destination. We plan to go Vang Vieng, Vientiane and Luang Prabang and I'm wondering where we should go first to have the convenient route and have not to be opposite direction. By the way, whether Si Phan Don has anything to enjoy or it's just a group of island with rocks and waterfall??

May be the journey last over 1 week or more because we're kind of discovering and experiencing lovers. Can we hire motorbike and travel by our own feet? At least I know that Vang Vieng is far from Vientiane about 150km, but if the road is not rough enough, I think we can handle it.

Stuffs in Vieng Chan market is cheaper than the others? Have you any suggestions for street food such as noodles, roasted chicken or papaya salad?
Old Mar 2nd, 2016, 06:48 PM

I have a suggestion based on our trip and what we heard from others. Unless you are into the party scene, skip Vang Vieng. If you can afford it, fly from Vientiane to Luang Prabang. Instead of Vang Vieng go about three hours north of Luang Prabang to Nong Khiaw.
Old Mar 2nd, 2016, 10:44 PM

We got into Laos over the Friendship Bridge at Nong Khai, then...

- 3 nights in Vientiane [that's plenty].

- Bus to Vang Vieng. 4.5 hours. Decent road, only the last 30 minutes was interesting.

- Vang Vieng 3 nights [about right] Beautiful countryside, hired pushbikes to get out of town during the day. We're not into the party scene. Can't say we even noticed it, and really enjoyed our stay.

- Bus to Luang Prabang. 6.5 hours. Hilly roads, lots of bends, lovely countryside.
Old Mar 2nd, 2016, 11:37 PM

An interesting recent TA thread on Vang Vieng...

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTo..._Province.html

Just do it!
Old Mar 3rd, 2016, 04:33 PM
Original Poster

#julies #LancasterLad

I'm really interested in the beauty of Vang Vieng, so it's definitely in my list of destination.

What about the cost, for example, cost of transportation, accommodation and food? And how much money did you guys spend for the trip to Laos, i mean total cost?
Old Mar 3rd, 2016, 09:37 PM

"By the way, whether Si Phan Don has anything to enjoy or it's just a group of island with rocks and waterfall" - Si Phan Don is a beautiful place but the islands are very different. The main island of Don Khong is quiet and laid back, a great place to chill out for a few days, take a boat on the river, cycle around the island. Don Det is the exact opposite, lots of partying backpackers drinking beer and and eating "magic" pizza (at least that is how it was last time we passed through a few years ago). Unless you are arriving in Laos overland from Cambodia, you don't have enough time to get there.

If you really can't manage more than a week, julies suggestion of combining Luang Prabang and Nong Khiaw is by far the best choice.

One of the best resources for info on Laos is http://www.travelfish.org/country/laos

As for costs in Laos, that largely depends on your travel style - http://www.lonelyplanet.com/laos/money-costs . Like most developing countries, prices increase as more tourists visit and it is no doubt, not as cheap as it once was but still far cheaper than most "western"countries.
Old Mar 15th, 2016, 08:53 PM

There is some outdated information posted here. If you intend to go to Vientiane, Vang Vieng and Luang Prabang you really need a week - 2 days Vientiane, 2 days VV and 3 days LP. Remember that travelling in Lao is slow. 150 km from Vientiane to VV, yes, but the road is NOT good as one poster suggests. actually it has deteriorated a lot. You would be better off going by bus. This will take you about 3 1/2 hours. Hire a bike in VV.
Secondly VV is not a party town as suggested by Jules. It used to be that and has not been so for some time. The karst landscapes are stunning. I take my young family there a couple of times a year.
You need at least 3 days in LP. Give Nong Khiaw a miss and just stay in LP. It will take about 4 1/2 hours from VV, maybe a bit less. Take motion sickness tablets as the road is very windy.