Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Holding bags in Paris

Search

Holding bags in Paris

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9th, 2015, 03:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well the owner of the bag that was left unattended in Paris Gare du Nord today at 16 30 may face some problems.

The station was evacuated then sealed off for about 20 min/

Whcih made me miss my train but gave me time to play the good samaritan for 2 US tourists who were in need of help in Gare du Nord since I had missed my train.

They thanked me profusely, I left them thinking I was French, and felt quite good actually. Nice people.
Old Oct 9th, 2015, 04:48 PM

Hi! We will be in Paris for the day and are using City Locker. I booked it back in March because I read they sell out very fast. It was really easy too. As for Uber Paris, I don't think they are around anymore there since the taxi driver riots a few months back? You may want to look into that. We were thinking about that too until that happened but since we are only there and flying out that evening, we are doing some walking and the HOHO bus and only 2 planned taxis.
Old Oct 9th, 2015, 10:53 PM

What are you going to do if its raining? If you have a lot of luggage your stuff wont fit inside the average cafe and you'd be bored to death sitting around there for 4 hours. Either downsize your luggage or rent storage. No hotel in Paris will accept to store items unless you have booked and paid for a room there because of insurance and liability. Why would a hotel babysit the stuff of a complete stranger??? Maybe you could pay the apartment for the night before you actually arrive and see if the manager would meet you but sometimes they charge a lot extra for this.

You don't need Uber because regular taxis are fine.

Paris Wat - did the police blow up that bag that was left at the station? Usually they destroy them.
Old Oct 10th, 2015, 02:04 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've done the eat a meal and leave my luggage thing a few times, I would not be confident that it will work, nor that the bag will be fully safe, but I've not had a problem.
Old Oct 10th, 2015, 03:44 AM

Manouche

I was hoping for it actually, but I didn't hear nor see an explosion.

Mvg.
Old Oct 10th, 2015, 07:16 AM

You could try the old, "Excuse me, sir or madam (important in France), I have a business meeting in your restaurant that should be over by 15:00. Could I check my bag with you until then?"

You might get an, "Of course, no problem."

I think I would try a large hotel like the Lutetia (in 6th but on bus route through the 7th) or the Hilton. It has worked for me in the past but things aren't quite as care-free as they used to be.

Many large restaurants might have space for your case while you eat but you wouldn't be able to leave it while you have a wander.

There's also Gare Montparnasse, probably the closest to your rental.
Old Oct 10th, 2015, 08:46 AM

When we have clients arriving early in the morning, we suggest they book the hotel or apartment for the day prior to their arrival (as mentened by manouche) so that the room or apartment will be ready when they arrive. It works for most people, especially on an international flight, and better then trying to find someplace to hang out for 5 hours or more.
Old Oct 10th, 2015, 10:41 AM

Hotel Lutetia closed in 2014 for 3 years of renovation. The scaffolding is still up so doubtful they would be holding anybodys luggage.
Old Oct 11th, 2015, 06:26 AM

Should have checked the Lutetia before I commented. I imagine it will be spectacular but out of my price range.

Back to OP, Gare Montparnasse is really the best option.