Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

6 Days in Kansai. 3 Days Osaka/3 Days Kyoto or 5 Days Osaka/1 Day Kyoto?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2015, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be traveling the first week of March to the Kansai region. I initially wanted to split my time; three days in Osaka and three days in Kyoto but a couple of things are concerning me:

1. Budget: I'm planning on taking $600US with me, that will include my travel (to and from airport and locally), admission (Osaka Castle, Aquarium, Universal studios), food and souvenirs.

2. Things to do: I enjoy being a lively place yet one that is steeped in history, I feel like Osaka has that glitz factor that I enjoy, but you can still get a good understanding of Japanese culture. Kyoto, while on the other hand is steeped in so much history but seems to be so sleepy compared to Osaka - I'm thinking of doing a day trip instead.

In a nutshell, is it worth dividing my trip up into half osaka/half kyoto, or can Kyoto just be a day trip. I do have my heart set on Universal studios.

I arrive on Thursday afternoon (my birthday I plan to use that as a rest day and treat myself to dinner.

Friday: Osaka Castle, Aquarium, Observatory, explore Dotombori and Den Den Town (might do reverse so that I can see the skyline at sunset)

Saturday: Universal Studios

Sunday: Rest day/buy souvenirs

Monday/Tuesday: No plans (any suggestions in Kyoto?)

Wednesday: Leave at 10am from Kansai
Old Jan 21st, 2015, 03:48 PM

In my opinion, Kyoto is better, thus would recommend at least 3 and 3 if not 4 and 2. Nara is a great day trip to consider during your 6 day stay. Osaka has great food; Kyoto has great food as well, but it is more scenic, more relaxing and there is more to do.
Old Jan 21st, 2015, 06:37 PM
kja

It really depends on what you want to see and experience. I spent 6 nights in Kyoto / Nara and didn't have time for everything I wanted to do -- but I wasn't looking for glitz. Good luck!
Old Jan 22nd, 2015, 06:55 AM

Kyoto sleepy? No, definitely not. Although Kyoto has an incredible number of temples and shrines, and some beautiful historic areas, it's also a modern Japanese city as well.

Osaka has the nightlife and the glitzy neon lights, but I found far less to actually keep my attention there than I had hoped. Dotonbori is a good place to find drinks and dinner, but nothing else to see. The food market is fascinating, but even food market addict me couldn't while away more than a couple of hours there. I found the sakai knife district uninspiring, though there was a beautiful temple we visited on the way. We also enjoyed our trip out to the cup noodle museum, in an outlying district.

But Kyoto, oh my, it has so much to see and do!

Sleepy is not a word I'd use to describe Kyoto, even though it certainly retains an old world charm alongside it's modern aspect.
Old Jan 22nd, 2015, 08:10 AM

On Friday you are all over Osaka. You need to re arrainge your venues. Do Osaka-jo on the day you do the Dotombori and Den den town. Do the Aquarium early another day and Universal after that as they are on the same side of town. If you really have no interest in Kyoto then skip it and do another day in Osaka. Lots to do there too.

Aloha!