Search

Christmas and New Years in Munich 2014

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2014, 08:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Christmas and New Years in Munich 2014

Hello,

My wife and I are about to book a VRBO apartment in Munich from Dec 21 to Jan 2 in Central Munich. There will be five of us traveling including our kids ages 25, 23 & 22.

I have been doing my research and it looks to me that we can find plenty to do during our stay in Munich. We also plan on renting a vehicle for day trip outside of Munich.

Any I looking for any recommendations for things to do while there during the holidays. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you !
Old May 14th, 2014, 09:30 PM

Hi jff710,

I would seriously rethink the idea of renting a car for excursions outside of Munich. Just getting into and out of the city will be a time-consuming hassle compared to the combination of S-Bahn and train that can whisk you around the countryside pretty quickly.

Consider that the two of you can travel all day in the Bavarian countryside on the Bavarian Ticket (27 Euro), the train really makes the most sense. Also consider that the roads will be subject to snow, ice, storms, etc, and that the occasional traffic jams will take a big chunk out of your excursion time.

Have fun as you plan!

s
Old May 14th, 2014, 09:44 PM

Christmas markets. Every day until Christmas. Drink Glühwein and other hot beverages and eat. There are several Christmas markets scattered around Munich so be sure to hit them all as each has its own flavor.

I suggest you take a day trip to Nürnberg for their World Famous Christmas market but go Monday thru Thursday because the other days are just too crazy. Take the train if you do this because parking is a nightmare.

Expect nothing aside from a few restaurants to be open on Christmas Day.

Salzburg is two hours away by train (90 min if you drive) and would make an interesting day trip.

The weather will play a large role in your plans so try to avoid making an intricate plan of things to see/do outside of the city.

Unless your destination is somewhere off the beaten path, I would skip the car rental because practically everywhere can be reached by train. A Bayern ticket for five people will likely be cheaper than a day's rent of a vehicle that can comfortably fit 5 adults. A Bayern ticket for 5 people is 39 Euro and is valid for one day of non-ICE train travel in Bavaria (and includes Salzburg).
Old May 14th, 2014, 11:46 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
We spent this last Christmas in Munich - had a great time.

Most places close around 2pm on Christmas Eve and don't reopen until a day or two after Christmas. Having said that, we had no issues finding things to do and places to eat on Christmas Day.

Some ideas:

Englischer Garten (we watched the surfers on the Eisbach), walked, and had lunch at a beer garden on Christmas Day, there was also a very small Christmas market still operating.

Viktualienmarket - farmers market in Munich - closed Christmas Eve and Christmas - LOVED this place

Deutsches Museum (open the day after Christmas)

Day trip to the Zugspitz

St Johann Church
Old May 15th, 2014, 03:42 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The Residenz assuming it is open as well as Schloss Nymphenburg. Yeah, the Christmas markets but eventually you'll probably tire of those.
Old May 15th, 2014, 03:46 AM

They arrive on the 21st so that's only 3/4 days of Christmas markets.
Old May 17th, 2014, 01:09 PM

Make sure you hit up the Mittelaltermarkt in Munich, it has a different flavor than the other markets. It's like a Christmas Renaissance Fair!

Be aware that a lot of people (including many other tourists) will be in Munich and at the Christmas markets too. Apparently some people are unpleasantly surprised at the seasonal crush at the markets, so be prepared. We love the markets, crowds and all!