Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Anybody going to the Pantanal, been to the Pantanal, thinking about the Pantanal?

Search

Anybody going to the Pantanal, been to the Pantanal, thinking about the Pantanal?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17th, 2010, 07:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
atravelynn, I reread your northern pantanal trip report and noticed you used an open safari-type vehicle on the Transpantaneira. How did you like it? We used an air conditioned van and roasted when on the sunny side of the vehicle, especially when folks were taking photos and the engine was turned off. I've seen some pics of the open vehicle and in all of them it looks like the sun is not totally blocked. Was this a problem?
Old Jan 25th, 2010, 07:15 PM
Original Poster

We were not out in the heat of the day most of the time but the sun was not blocked so it got hot at times. In the evening when we had one long stretch of traveling, it was quite cold. But I really don't recall too much discomfort.

The open vehicle was an asset and allowed greater visibility and is what I would try to get in the future.
Old Jan 26th, 2010, 03:10 AM

Thanks Lynn. Our friends are a bit fussy, especially when they ar blindsided. We will also have the open safari vehicle in the Pantanal, so we'll just prepare them for it. Aside from getting hot or cold sometimes, it sounds like it was far superior to the van we used on our previous trip.

Hope the researching for your India trip is going well.
Old Jan 27th, 2010, 03:11 AM

Hi Ovenbird,
(already posted this to another thread, sorry)
I've been on a 5 days tour in northern Pantanal with Julinho from Pantanal Trackers (www.pantanaltrackers.com.br)in oct 09 and it was really outstanding, for the animals we saw (a couple of jaguars the day we arrived, only us and them for hours), the gorgeous nature, the people we met. And Julinho himself is just the greatest companion you could wish to have by your side, he has deep knowledge about the fauna and flora and local culture. A knowledge based on a life's experience there, on patient observation of the environment, he is a 'pantaneiro', NOT one of the many operators that smelled a good opportunity to make money on jaguar-sighting in the last 2 years.
Check my travel report if you want more info, and feel free to ask me any question!
http://pantanalnorte2009.blogspot.com/
Old Jan 27th, 2010, 08:35 AM

claudiaP, thanks for the info. It sounded like you had a wonderful trip to the Pantanal.
Old Mar 9th, 2012, 05:59 PM
Original Poster

In response to myself, I am thinking about going again.

Treepol, we keep just missing. Did you do a Barranca Alto report?

Was it really over 2 years ago that I last checked in here?
Old Mar 11th, 2012, 07:15 PM

Hi Lynn,

I didn't do a TR but will PM you some notes I kept on Barranco Alto. My photos are here, https://picasaweb.google.com/Treepol...alBarrancoAlto

Cheerz,

Pol
Old Mar 14th, 2012, 08:16 PM

atravelynn, we are looking at a fall 2013 trip ourselves. I enjoyed reading information about your past trips so do keep this forum updated with your plans.

Thanks.
Old Mar 29th, 2012, 05:17 AM
Original Poster

There's a special place in my heart for anteaters, Treepol. Nice capture of that creature. Otters OUT of the water is a rarity. Great photos and appreciate the info you sent on safaritalk. Thanks Treepol.

Atdahl,
I'm looking at about 6 nts Barranco Alto. They are easy to work with directly. Email is best, but sometimes your message might end up in their trash box. If no response, try again. Will probably add another spot in the Pantanal, Baia das Pedras, plus maybe something else. Working with Brazil Nature Tours for the other parts.
Old Jun 23rd, 2012, 11:49 AM

We are going to the Pantanal with Pantanal Trackers in August and are really looking forward to it. We are staying at the same places Treepol did, plus a couple of nights of camping. This will be our first trip to South America, and we're also going to Iguazu Falls and Rio.
Old Jun 23rd, 2012, 11:45 PM

Kmania,

please do report back on your Pantanal trip and good luck with the jaguars.

Regards,

Pol
Old Jun 25th, 2012, 07:38 AM

Thanks, Pol. Will do.

Kim