Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Packing Success- 2 weeks in a carry-on Springtime in Europe

Search

Packing Success- 2 weeks in a carry-on Springtime in Europe

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2012, 07:05 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Coquelicot: Yeah - doesn't it work great!? I love arriving at my destination w/ nothing wrinkled.

You have to understand about Jon (the guy in the video) -he is in the business of selling luggage and travel gadgets so he shows shoe bags and organizers and extra gizmos. Mostly - semi-useless IME/IMO. Every 'organizer' takes up valuable space better filled w/ clothes and important 'stuff'.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 07:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who knew the bundle method had a name and a Youtube video? I've been using it since my mom taught me about it 25(!) years ago - she was a travel agent and travelled a lot. It does a great job of keeping clothes wrinkle free.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 02:37 PM

Bundle method....I need to know more about that! YouTube the best way to learn???--dunia123
Using packing cubes & packing envelopes (Eagle Creek)...do you think I am defeating the efficiency needed??
My biggest dilemma are the TOILETRIES...& the "in case of emergency "/laundry/misc items.
AND keeping the weight down....I do not like HEAVY suitcases/carry-on's/purses etc.
We travel for a MONTH--pack for a WEEK--rotate the "outfits"--do laundry ASAP, either in rental w/washer/dryer or local laundry facility--carrying everything in a 22" suitcase (each) + carry-on.
My goal for each trip is HOW can I make it EASIER & carry less weight.....Will appreciate any tips on this subject--janis
tinabina--LOVED your clothing list !!!
Thanks for any additions to the original post + my questions !!!
Old May 3rd, 2012, 03:30 PM

Wait, are you packed to the hilt? Can you buy anything and fit it in the suitcase?
Old May 3rd, 2012, 04:50 PM

misha2: Who are you asking? I personally never totally fill a 21 inch rollaboard -- and often just use a 19 incher. Neither usually weigh more than 20 - 22-ish lbs. Definitely not filled to the gills.

If I know I'm going to do a lot of shopping I'll sometimes take a space bag or two (empty) to use on the return flight to compress the clothes and make more room in the suitcase. Of course, then the bags will weigh significantly more. I don't use the space bags on my out going flights - no need.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 05:14 PM

My 21" expands. If I shop it can get checked going home
Old May 3rd, 2012, 05:27 PM

yep -- If I get really carried away I can always expand and check it coming home. But that is only my last resort. I really hate checking a bag
Old May 3rd, 2012, 07:15 PM

An advantage to travelling when lighter clothes are needed. We plan 3 wks in Sept/Oct & will need heavier clothes, even layered. I keep telling hubby we should get lighter bags; he's not yet convinced, as we have a real assortment. Guess I need to check out youtube! =)
Old May 3rd, 2012, 07:32 PM

Just watched Jon's video (in the luggage store!). I agree that he doesn't use all the nooks/crannies I generally do; I can get quite a bit into a pair of shoes! He got a lot more stuff in that bag than I expected.

Anyone -- how does the rolled method compare to the bundled, as far as wrinkles & space go?
Old May 3rd, 2012, 07:53 PM

IME - rolled nets about the same space but more wrinkles. Not as wrinkled as individually folded garments -- but more than bundling.

When I did a LOT of business travel w/3-piece wool blend suits (Slacks/skirt/jacket) and blousesd, I never needed to press anything.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 11:30 PM

I have been in Paris four days and we did laundry in the apartment, hate the wrinkles from that machine though. I have the ironing board out now. I rinse things out in the sink and hang up to dry. Razor, fingernail clippers and small sissors are allowed. Cork screw, just make sure there is no knife attached. I save the small containers from sample make up and put face cream in. I bought shamphoo here and did not bring any make up but sample size ones. You know how mags have a samples every now and then? I got the lancome one from two More magazines. Plenty in there for several days.
Old May 7th, 2012, 09:28 AM

That's an amazing amount of items! Tina, I wonder why you decided to pack so many clothes? I think with a little encouragement you could have reduced what you brought- even though it fit in the suitcase! I have never been a travel with one pair of undies person but could see that two bras would suffice. And then you had two black cashmere sweaters. Wouldn't the single black cardi have been sufficient? Two scarves instead of three? One of each of the shortsleeve tops instead of two each? You had many pair of pants- how about only three? Microfiber tops can easily be washed in the sink and hung to dry.

You did not seemed stressed by the quantity and we all pack differently. When I travel for two weeks I take along what I need just for one week and mix and match on week two. But I always get bogged down by the toiletries and electeonic devices, cords, chargers and items to have along for IF we get ill etc.
Old May 14th, 2012, 09:14 AM

I am also going for two weeks to Europe but have to pack even lighter than this. I am limited by my Ryanair flight which allows only one piece of luggage 21 inch carry on and no more, not even a purse. So, everything has to fit. It has always been easy for me to avoid checking in with that second personal item allowance.

What is the name brand of the "world's lightest luggage" at under 5 lbs?
Old May 14th, 2012, 12:32 PM

These posts fascinate me. My "what-if" essentials seem to me the death of me, like Band-Aids, anti-itch ointments etc.
Old May 14th, 2012, 01:10 PM

I bring what if items also, but only a tiny amount of each to hold me over until I can get to a pharmacy over there. They fit into a tiny ziploc bags and then I can stuff that anywhere there is an open space in my suitcase.
Old May 14th, 2012, 01:50 PM

So I wonder if I can pack my things and my husbands for 18 days in Scotland in one larger checked bag, 1 carry on upright (I think it's 20"), 1 backpack and then our two personal items? Looking for encouragement!

I think we've normally checked two large bags in the past and then had a backpack and a smaller tote as carry ons.

Space is always an issue in my in-laws car though when they pick us up, and we might go straight to touring instead of to their house, so they will have their overnight bag as well.
Old May 14th, 2012, 02:45 PM

We are leaving Thursday for six weeks. We are each bringing a 21' carryon and a small backpack or purse. Trust me, if I can do it. You can do it. I am REALLY looking forward to the freedom of less luggage. We brought too much the first time we traveled and won't be making that mistake again.
Old May 14th, 2012, 04:52 PM

Ncounty, the suitcase that weighs so little is landor hawa. You can find them at Marshalls. I have one and it is just ok. I don't pack a lot of clothes. I brought two pairs of shoes and one was old and left behind to make room for what I bought. I only brought two pairs in case I had rain soaked ones that needed drying out. I did get tired of black and grey this last trip. I can mix and match every item I bring. I would like to say be careful with those washer dryer combo units in the apartments. I ruined two tops. They get very hot. We had apartments on the 4th floor, hotel rooms on the third and no lifts till we got to the Hilton at Gatwick. You want those suitcase light!
Old May 14th, 2012, 05:58 PM

amelia: "<i>So I wonder if I can pack my things and my husbands for 18 days in Scotland in one larger checked bag, 1 carry on upright (I think it's 20"), 1 backpack and then our two personal items? Looking for encouragement!</i>"

OK -- I'll encourage you . . . to do better than that

No need for a large suitcase. I leave at 0-dark:30 tomorrow morning for 3.5 weeks and I'm taking is a 21 inch rollie and a medium sized handbag -period.

And this trip will have a little bit of everything from boating, to walking in the Borders, to Hadrian's Wall, to a posh dinner at a michelin starred place to the Chanel Islands to a fancy event in London for the Jubilee. Sort of everything except for full on formal.
Old May 14th, 2012, 07:19 PM

janisj is my hero

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -