Where to stay Southern Coast/Cayes

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16th, 2009, 02:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to hear experiences for Hamanansi, Thatch Caye (these are two I am focusing on) or others you think I should consider (Isla Marisol?)

We have 7 days in early November. I was thinking of 3 nights by the southern coast/cayes - we are certified divers, but novices, and would like some relaxation time (a beach would be nice). How bad are the sand fleas and mosquitos at this time of year?

Then doing 4 nights around San Ignacio - Cahal Pech? duPlooys? Chaa? where we want to see Xunantunich, Caracol, cave tube and zoo. Not interested in doing Tikal.

Should we stay in San Ignacio the whole time, and take a couple of trips out to dive? I've heard that the reef is more pristine down south (not around AC/CC).
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 03:34 AM

If you want the best diving, head to Glover's. You can dive Glover's from Thatch Caye but at Isla Marisol you're there; I've read good reviews of both. From Hamanasi you could spend time in Hopkins so you'd have access to local (in that case Garifuna) culture as opposed to the others giving you only the natural environment but the dive trips require more time on a boat. We've never had sand fly problems in CA, though others have - pray for a constant gentle breeze to keep them at bay. If you haven't already you can check the BelizeForum.com and TripAdvisor.com for reviews.

We prefer to start inland and finish with beach time. Chaa Creek is beautiful but we're not resort types; their Macal River Jungle Camp www.belizecamp.com is amazing if you want a more jungly and less landscaped experience.

Have a wonderful trip, whatever you decide and be sure to tell us all about it when you get home. Happy trails!
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 05:00 AM

3 very different beach locations:
Hamanasi is a mainland inn outside of Hopkins village, 10 miles from the reef. Thatch Caye is a small private island about 8 miles from Dangriga, about 2 miles from the reef. Marisol is in Glovers atoll, one of 4 atolls in our hemisphere, in very pristine marine environments. Some of the best diving and snorkeling is right at your doorstep. Chaa Creek and duPlooys are both very good choices, both on the Macal River upstream from San Ignacio town, offering all the trips you listed above.
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 06:13 AM
Original Poster

We were thinking of starting on the water because of the restriction of flying within 24 hours of diving.

Thanks for the responses so far!
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 09:06 AM

Good point. I'm blessed with summers off (my husband and I are both educators) and longer trips so I don't have to worry as much about that.
Old Jun 20th, 2009, 03:35 PM

I would not stay right in the town of San Ignacio. There are good places to stay all around -- Duplooy's is nice, Hidden Valley Inn (where I stayed) is wonderful, Five Sisters, Chaa Creek. Chan Chich is too remote, in my opinion, for much sight seeing. All the tours are available at any of the inns. I loved Caracol. Hidden Valley, Five Sisters and Blancaneaux (this one is expensive) are about 45 minutes closer to Caracol. Also, this part of the Cayo is quiet, which I loved. Have a great trip.