Search

help with monteverde

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22nd, 2005, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help with monteverde

My husband and I are planning a trip to CR in January. We are in our early thirties. No car. We plan on taking shuttles between San Jose to Arenal, then to Monteverde, then to Manuel Antonio. We are staying at Lost Iguana in Arenal and Costa Verde in MA. I'm having difficulty deciding between Sapo Dorado, Fonda Vela and Arco Iris for Monteverde. My question is: given that we won't have a car, would it be better to stay in or near Santa Elena or does it matter? Thanks!
Old Dec 22nd, 2005, 02:07 PM

Hello Philim, in short walking distance to Santa Elena ist Arco Iris Lodge. No car should not a big problem, a lot of taxis are in Santa Elena.
Saludos
costaklaus - www.costaricaweb.<font colr=red>de
Old Dec 22nd, 2005, 07:27 PM
Original Poster

Do taxis run late at night? In case I stay at Fonda Vela...
Old Dec 23rd, 2005, 03:44 AM

We stayed at the Fonda Vela in January 2004 without a car. Had no problems getting taxis--though we were so tired from hikes and other excursions that we didn't stay out super late. And the hotel and its restaurant were very, very nice.
Old Dec 24th, 2005, 04:05 PM

If I had no car in Monteverde, I would stay in the hotel that is closest to the Monteverde Cloud forest preserve, but that's a personal choice. We stayed in a classic mountain cabin at El Sapo dorado, didn't like the cabin, but the food in their restaurant was excellent, gourmet actually.

Next time I would try either Monteverde Lodge or Fonda Vela, from the research I have done. WE had 4 people in one cabin which was a little too cozy...2 people in a cabin would have been better. Classic mountain cabin has a fire place which was a disadvantage because previous users had gotten the whole place stinking like smoke, phew! Would rather have had a cabin without a fireplace.

Old Dec 24th, 2005, 06:09 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all. I've emailed Fonda Vela twice over the last few days with no reply as of yet. I'll give them till Monday and try to call them (to see if they have any vacancies). By the way, are there things to do at night in Santa Elena?
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 06:06 AM

Hi, we stayed at Arco Iris Lodge in Santa Elena town. Within walking distance from the lodge are quite a number of restaurants & bakeries. Nightlife would be a beer at the local restaurant. There are also a number of tourist attractions within walking distance - Frog Pond, Serpant Musuem. I saw quite a number of taxis in town as well.