Search

ATM's getting cash

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2012, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATM's getting cash

We are traveling to Puerto Vallarta in two weeks. Will my debit card work in the ATM machines at the airport and elsewhere or must I use a credit card in the machines. The reason I ask is that we had problems recently in Europe and Africa with debit cards rather than credit card to obtain cash. Thanks.
Old Jan 21st, 2012, 01:47 PM

We were in PV last spring and our debit cards worked fine in the ATMs there.
Old Jan 22nd, 2012, 08:43 PM

We just returned from the area. Both debit and credit cards work in the ATM's, but during the tourist season many of the machines often run out of cash. During Xmas week all of the the machines in Sayulita and El Anclote, the village near Punta Mita, were usually empty. Also, a few years ago, a machine in Bucerias ate our friend's card, so it wouldn't hurt to bring an extra one. Not a bad idea to bring extra American cash, which is widely accepted. But if you stick to the ATM's in PV, you'll probably be fine.
Old Jan 23rd, 2012, 06:57 AM

US dollars are no longer 'widely accepted' and if they are you will get a very bad exchange rate. I've been using ATMs for the last 18 years. If the machine is attached to a bank and it eats your card, go next day with your passport and you can get it back.
Old Jan 23rd, 2012, 07:00 AM

Your ATM card as long as it's a 4 digit code will work fine. I understand in Europe now they must have a micro-chip, but not here in Mexico.
Old Jan 23rd, 2012, 07:01 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I use my regular debit cards in PV with no issues. Because I'm a Bank of America customer if I stick with Scotia or Santander's ones there are no fees and I get the best exchange rate.

I would never use a credit card in an ATM machine (unless an emergency) because of the high cost of getting a "cash advance" that way.

USD are accepted but not really smart. Because you can exchange money yourself for 13.0 or more and vendors and shops usually only give 10.0. So using American dollars means you are basically voluntarily overpaying a little for everything you buy.
Old Jan 23rd, 2012, 07:03 AM

PS Many of the banks (Banamex for one) your card can NOT be "eaten" as you just put it in part way then take it out before entering your code. Others you just swipe. A few (bancomer) do still engulf the whole card so I do not go there.
Old Mar 11th, 2012, 12:50 PM

"I understand in Europe now they must have a micro-chip, but not here in Mexico."

Although this is off-topic, I wanted to clear up a misconception - ATM cards with a magnetic stipe and no chip DO work in ATMs all over Europe. No problems at all. The issue of chip-and-PIN affects credit and debit card purchases at unmanned terminals such as ticket machines, gas stations, toll booths, etc. Any purchases made with a non-chip-and-PIN card in which a person handles the transaction go through just fine. People have reported problems occasionally with clerks who are unsure how to handle a "swipe" card, but that is just due to unfamiliarity with the type of card, not the inability to accept it.