Search

Must see's in Cuzco?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2007, 02:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Must see's in Cuzco?

We are traveling to Cuzco in the next week are looking for any restaurant recommendations, sights and comments on our choice of Picoaga Hotel. Thanks!
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 08:25 PM

The restaurant at Monastario is wonderful and beautiful.

There's a cute little restaurant in the courtyard of the Museu de Arte Precolombino. It's great for lunch. The lemonade is delicious.

Ask your hotel to arrange a city tour for you. It will hit all the highlights. You can do it as part of a small group or privately. I've done both and preferred the private because I could hear better.

If you are there on a weekend, go up to Sacsayhuaman...hundreds of families flying kites. It's an amazing site.

Unfortunately, I don't know your hotel. I stayed at Monastario both times I have been, and some of my friends stayed at Libertador.

Don't fall for the "alpaca factory." The quality is not worth it. You are better off buying at Alpaca 111.

Another note, I had a real problem getting cash through the ATM, as did my friends. Make sure you bring enough cash just in case.
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 05:56 AM
Original Poster

Many thanks for your thoughts. I had actually read the same thing about the ATM's on a few other sites. Did you take the train up to Machu Picchu? thoughts? What time of year were you there?
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 10:22 AM

You'll find a review of the Picoaga on the front part of the Fodor's site. It's a good choice. I like it too because it's centrally located.

My favorite restaurant in Cusco is Granja Heidi. That's also described in that section of the website.
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 06:35 PM

I've been twice - once in May and once in August. May was better.

Both times we hired a private guide to take us to the sights between Cusco and Ollantaytambo. There's a lot to see. We stayed the night in the Sacred Valley, and then had a much shorter train ride to MP. I highly recommend Hotel Sol y Luna. And if you have the time, spend an extra night and enjoy the area. The hotel is cheap $120 per night for a two-person villa, $140 for 4 people.

The first time we took the helicopter back to Cusco at the end of the day. Unfortunately, it's no longer available. The second time, we took the Hiram Bingham train. It was well worth the extra money if you can swing it. It includes tickets to MP, the bus up and down, a guide, lunch at Sanctuary, a 4-course dinner on the train, etc. You also get access to Sanctuary to use the nice bathrooms, store your luggage, etc. They even put the luggage on the train for you that night. It makes the day that much more enjoyable and comfortable.
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 01:50 PM

I see there's a more limited group of posters who've been to Peru. Any additional suggestions for restaurants & sights in Cusco?
Old May 4th, 2007, 05:05 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Agree with the 2 restaurants hills27 suggested. We had dinner at MAP (restaurant in courtyard of the museum) and it was very good. Aside from a regular dinner at Monastario which was good, you can sit in their lounge in front of the fire and they have a limited menu from there. Also try Greens.

About 20-30 minutes to the south of Cuzco the ruins in Tipon are fantastic. We also visited Orepesa which is a town soley devoted to baking...we had bread right out of the stone oven-deliciios. We did these sights with a guide, David Choque who was excellent. Pisac, less than hour from Cuzco has great ruins also.