Search

Arenal canopy tour question

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2010, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arenal canopy tour question

My kids are almost 10 and 7 and were really excited about Sky Trek after doing a zipline in Bali last year. I just noticed, however, that Sky Trek will not allow my youngest to participate since he is not 8. Is there another canopy tour in the Arenal area that does not require hand braking?

I'm really bummed too b/c Sky Trek looks like a lot of fun.

Thank you.
Old Jan 7th, 2010, 09:48 AM

I've read good reviews of Arenal Paraiso, so you might check with them. I think it's all ages, but double check me.
Old Jan 7th, 2010, 09:53 AM

Check Los Lagos too. The kids might also like to do a day trip there anyway because they have a zipline, horses and hot spring pools and slides. I think the day pass is only $10.
Old Jan 7th, 2010, 10:24 AM

We enjoyed the zip lines at Los Lagos. My daughter was 6 and she did have to ride tandem on all but two of the lines. But she had a blast and the lines were great. The pools and hot springs are very nice. The horses and zip lines will be an additional charge in addition to the day pass I believe.
Old Jan 7th, 2010, 10:37 AM
Original Poster

My kids are very adventurous for their ages - is Los Lagos like a kiddy version or the real deal? The lines in Bali were very high and very fast which is what we're looking for in CR.

I wonder if my son would pass for 8? He's above average height by US standards...

Thanks for the ideas!
Old Jan 7th, 2010, 11:15 AM

There was a young kid zipping with us at Arenal Paraiso - looked like he was around 8 or 9, didn't go in tandem with the guides. There are 11 ziplines at Paraiso with the first few being quite long and high, the last three fairly lateral with the final one flying directly over the river. It does require hand braking to stop.

We went in the rain which the guides later told us made the lines twice as fast. Not the best way to experience it for the first time, trust me! So if you are looking for high and fast, go in the rain - I'd e-mail AP and ask them about a minimum age requirement.
Old Jan 7th, 2010, 11:33 AM

statefan -- In Bali did the lines require handbraking? Personally, I wouldn't try passing my kid off as being older than they are. There are safety reasons for age (and weight) requirements.
Old Jan 7th, 2010, 11:59 AM
Original Poster

I was joking about trying to get him in at Sky Trek. I suspect the rule is either for insurance purposes or because most kids under 8 get freaked out. Or both. I'm not worried about the latter at all, but also realize my kids are not normal when it comes to being adventurous.

Bali did not use a handbreak and, to be honest, they really appear to detract from the experience. That is why I was asking about other non-hand break options.

I wish there was a way for the rest of us to do Sky Trek without leaving him with a stranger. Something like the Disney-deal where one adult waits with the child while the other adult rides, then they swap.
Old Jan 7th, 2010, 12:11 PM

Maybe he could do the Sky Tram and do a little hiking tour or something while you guys zip. I'd check with them to see if they have something to offer kids that age.
Old Jan 7th, 2010, 02:18 PM

Just curious about why no hand braking - is that harder for children to operate? The ones we did didn't have hand braking; we had to press on the line over our head to stop.
Old Jan 7th, 2010, 04:06 PM

vgirl -- I didn't think Sky Trek had handbraking either, so I'm confused. That's the one you did, right? Anyway, we did the one being touted above, Mundo Aventura, and I do have to agree that it's a great one. With the handbrake you actually have on this stiff leather like glovish thing and you have to squeeze on the line to slow or stop. My hand is small and it does take a few times to get the hang of. I don't know how many sizes there are, but I imagine it would be difficult to impossible for a child if they only have the size I used.
Old Jan 7th, 2010, 04:40 PM
Original Poster

Generally speaking, handbraking is considered to be less safe and less enjoyable. Skytrek does not have traditional handbraking which is one of the reasons it is so popular with zipline afficionados.
Old Jan 7th, 2010, 04:53 PM

Ah, that makes sense. My hand is small too. I was so paranoid about stopping that I started grabbing and pushing down on the line too early on my first zip and got stranded out there. Had to pull myself hand over hand to get to the end of the line. I think Mundo Aventura sounds fun - I'd love to go over the waterfall.
Old Jan 7th, 2010, 05:01 PM
Original Poster

Go read the Mundo Aventura reviews on TA - you'll see lots of comments about the potential challenges with handbraking.

Side topic - has anyone done the Rios Tropicales evening safari float? I'm trying to decide if we should do that since we're doing the Cano Negro tour w/ Sunset.
Old Jan 8th, 2010, 03:32 AM

State, we talked with them about doing it, and it sounded really interesting. We met some folks who did it, and the girl told me they shine a flashlight over the water, and you see a lot of red eyes staring back at you. She said she personally came eye to eye with a croc on the trip. I was thinking of doing it on a future trip since we enjoyed rafting with them so much. If you do it, I'd love to hear how it went.
Old Jan 8th, 2010, 10:25 AM

We have done 2 different zip lines. The second one had the hand break system. My then just 12 yr old got stuck on the first run. talk about terrified! (Me not him)

The first one we went on from Manuel Antonio, cCnopy Safari felt much safer. My son was 10 then and had no trouble. I know another family who took their 7 yr old on that one without problems.
Old Jan 8th, 2010, 11:01 AM

I wouldn't say Los Lagos is a kiddie version at all. It's 11 or 12 platforms. Some are very high and long. Although I have nothing to compare it to - The group of peole who were with us (not travelling with us, but on the zip line togehter with us) were all groups of adults and one other family with younger kids. The kids have to go tandem due to their weight. If they're too light, they won't make it all the way across. It was a blast. The adults seemed to enjoy it thoroughly and it seemed to be a very safe outfit.

Just because Los Lagos is a "family" oriented hotel, I wouldn't say their activities there are kiddie oreiented.
Old Jan 8th, 2010, 11:27 AM

Shell, how does the pricing work there? Do you just pay an entry fee and all the activities are covered, or do you pay by activity? Can you use the springs and things if you zipline there?
Old Jan 8th, 2010, 12:39 PM

volcanogirl - I don't for sure know since we stayed at the hotel. As a guest, the only extra fees were for things like zip lining and horseback riding. It would be my best guess that if you ziplined, you could use the pools and springs. There were no wristbands or anything that would identify you as a guest of the hotel or day visitor so once you are through the gates I would think that any of the activities that are no extra charge to the guests would be included - like the pools, hot springs, crocodile farm etc. The hot springs are nice, but nothing compared to Tabacon!
Old Jan 8th, 2010, 12:46 PM

Thanks for the scoop, Shell!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -