Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Going to PV, should we visit Guadalajara?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 1999, 10:15 AM
liz

We are planning a trip to Puerto Vallarta next Easter and want to know if it would be worthwhile to visit Guadalajara also? What is the City like, what to do there, is it safe, how far from PV - all the usual questions. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Old May 19th, 1999, 11:58 AM
Parrot Mom

Absolutely, we did it several years ago and Guadalajara with it's beautiful fountains and colonial architecture was a delight.. We did take a ride to Talajakpaki (sp) which was highlight-it is an artisans town, with Serge Bustamante having his gallery there.... there is also the famous cooking school. rest without a name-but with black doors--everybody knows about it-they serve lunch in the patio with peacocks walking around, waiters singing and delightful food... If you write me I'll look up more info...but definetely include Guadalajara and see the famous Rivera murals and the fleamarket--

Old May 19th, 1999, 04:44 PM
Kim Bekkers

Dear Liz, I am writing you from Puerto Vallarta. Although Puerto Vallarta is beautiful and there are so many things to do and see, I would still recommend you to include GUadalajara in your plans, if you are staying for a week or so. <BR>Guadalajara is the most Mexican of all cities in Mexico, with beautiful arquitecture, art, history, and above all: great shopping!! <BR>I would recommend you to take an organized tour, so that you are sure you visit all the most important site, and so that you have transportation everywhere, as you will certainly also want to go to Tlaquepaque and Tonala, which are still almost an hour from Guadalajara. <BR>There is a tour available, called Guadalajara Overnight, which costs about $ 130 US per person, including transportation by bus from Puerto Vallarta to Guadalajara and return, an English speaking guide, several meals, accommodations in Guadalajara and guided tours both in the city as well as to Tlaquepaque and Tonala. It is wise to reserve such a tour in advance, as they sometimes get fully booked. <BR>The bus-trip from Puerto Vallarta to Guadalajara takes in total 5 hours and a half approx. but you make several interesting stops on the way. You will see the Ceburoco Volcan, and you will also make a stop in the village of Tequila where you will see the process of the Tequila from the plant to the bottling, very nice. <BR>You may send me an e-mail and I can send you a complete description of the tour. <BR>I can also recommend you to have a look at the following web-site where you will find more information about activities in Puerto Vallarta itself: <BR>http://www.royale-tours.com <BR>Looking forward to hearing from you !

Old May 20th, 1999, 08:03 AM
diane

I disagree with the response on taking a bus & tour to Guadalara. Fly DO not take the bus. It is only a 1 hour flight vs. 6 hours in a bus going up & down the mountains. Second, you can take buses all around Guadalara. If you're interested in crafts, Tonala & Talaquepaque were great & you can get there by public bus. The restaurants are great & inexpensive. Do the whole trip on your own at a fraction of the cost. PS I have been to PV 5 times & just love it. We have traveled extensively in Mexico. I have been to Guadalara twice for a week each time.

Old May 20th, 1999, 08:15 AM
kim

Hello, once again about Guadalajara. I agree that the trip by plane is much faster, it actually only takes 40 minutes, but it is definitely not inexpensive. A round trip flight-ticket to Guadalajara currently costs about $ 200 US per person. It is also a pity not to see the village of Tequila, when you are going to Guadalajara from here. The scenery during the bus-trip is great. I definitely would go by bus and enjoy the trip going there. Sorry to disagree with you, Diane. <BR>