Planning a trip to Costa Rica

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2013, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning a trip to Costa Rica and wondering if there are good places to trade into. I'm a member in Interval and also in 3rdHome, both of which have places down there. Just wondering if anybody has suggestions on the best destinations to visit. I'd also like to do some eco-touring and explore the rainforest. Any input is welcome.
Old May 3rd, 2013, 09:18 AM

Do you have a list of options to choose from? Some of the most popular spots are Manuel Antonio, Arenal/La Fortuna, the Sarapiqui, Monteverde, and the Osa Peninsula. Not all are developed though. If you're looking for high end, which is the way I think 3rdHome skews, then I'd take a look at Manuel Antonio. It has a lot of upscale properties.
Old May 3rd, 2013, 09:45 AM

I visited Costa Rica last year and I had a great time. If you want to explore the rainforest try Rincon de la Vieja or Manuel Antonio National Park. There you'll find lots of tropical wildlife like monkeys, sloth, crocodiles and amphibians, plus in Rincon there's lots of volcanoes and mud pools etc.
We traded into The Palms at Flamingo Beach. They have fractional villas on the beach. The people there were very friendly and the villas and the whole development and amenities were wonderful.
Plus you can't beat walking out of your villa and arriving at the pool or going straight onto the beach. That's my 2 cents.
Old May 5th, 2013, 01:37 PM

Just got back from there a couple of days ago. Drove from San Jose to Arenal/La Fortuna back to San Jose then to Quepos.
HINT; don't buy gas in La Fortuna as it costs more than 2 1/2 time the "normal" cost. Also, while driving through the mountains to La Fortuna, stop along the way to buy the fresh local fruit. Go to Hanging Bridges park, the waterfalls & Arenal volcano. Suggest not hiring a guide as we did all three in one day and was rushed.
Do go to Manual Antonio but do the tour yourself - no guide is needed. If driving there, get there early and the cost to park in front of the gate is only $4 - don't let the "guys" flag you down to tell you the other parking lots full - thats BS.
Old May 6th, 2013, 08:24 AM

Ecotourism in Costa Rica is very popular. So you'll be in the perfect country for it. I live near San Isidro del General and I know a great place called La Leona Ecolodge. It is near Corcovado National Park. I plan to go maybe this years.

Let me know how it is!