Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Help me I can't figure out this trip to CR!!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18th, 2004, 09:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My boyfriend and I are leaving to Costa Rica in a few days. I still have not completely booked our hotels and stuff. I'm having trouble making up my mind. Can someone please help?

I have a plane ticket and a rental car. We are flying into San Jose. We would like to avoid staying in San Jose and head on over to Monteverde, however we don't have a 4x4 rental because it's too expensive. I suppose that rules out staying there? Everyone says you can't get there without a 4x4 vehicle. We wanted to stay there for 2 nights then stay at Tobocan Hot Springs for 1 night. Then spend our last 3 nights in Manuel Antonio.

Is Monteverde worth visiting? Can you get there somehow from Arenal by a tour? I am very set on staying at the Tobocan Hot Springs for one night, however it is out of our price range...is it worth it?

If we can't get to Monteverde by car, would you suggest staying at Arenal for 3 nights (2 nights at a moderate/budget hotel and one night at the Tobacon)so we could do some activities and take in the hot springs? We would like to do a Canopy Tour and possibly horseback riding...should we do this is Arenal? Monteverde? Or where?

We would like to end our trip at the beach. It was suggested to me to go to Manuel Antonio, is it better then Tarimindo? (sp?)

I have fell in love with 3 hotels in Manuel Antonio, but I wonder if I'm being silly wanting a nice hotel when most people don't spend that much time in their hotel. I like Hotel Parador, La Mariposa and Si Como No. Is it stupid to pay for these type of hotels? If we didn't stay in those are there any other hotels you suggest?

The last thing we would like to do is the white river rafting...Is Manuel Antonio a good place for this? Or would you suggest another area?

Sorry I'm so overwhelmed. The more I research the more confused I become!

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Old Aug 19th, 2004, 04:00 AM

First of all, why don't you save Monteverde for another time? You really do need four wheel drive, and there are no tours there from Arenal (that I know of). It would take all day just to get there!

You could stay at Arenal an extra night--there is certainly plenty to do. Montana de Fuego and Arenal Paraiso are two very decent hotels with the best view of the volcano that can be had. You can decide what you want to do about Tabacon once you get there. It's convenient to the springs, but otherwise nothing to write home about.

You could also stay 2 nights, then drive to Tamarindo (about 4 hours) if you are interested in seeing just what's going on there. It is a fun place to visit. Plenty of inexpensive rooms (try to Hotel Pasatiempo).

While there are some lovely hotels at Manuel Antonio that are quite expensive, there are also some very nice hotels that can save you a few dollars. Try Costa Verde or Hotel California (Costa Verde the better choice). Both would be very acceptable for less than $75 per night.

Don't worry about arriving with only your rental car reservation. This time of year, getting a room won't be a problem. I'd suggest you head straight for Arenal, check in at the Arenal Paraiso and plan the rest of your trip from there.

Old Aug 19th, 2004, 05:30 AM

Canibosh, if you are going to drive around Costa Rica yourself, you really should have a 4x4 vehicle. The roads there are the worst we have ever experienced anywhere and we were there in the dry season. You will be there in the rainy season, which makes the potholes worse.

Good idea to avoid staying overnight in San Jose. The countryside is breathtakingly beautiful. I would like to suggest a place we fell in love with, about a 20 minute drive from San Jose: http://www.vistadelvalle.com/ Their cottages are only $150/night. It is a coffee/citrus plantation overlooking a nature preserve. The owners are Californians, and he was a former peace corps worker who fell in love with Costa Rica. They pick you up from the airport and will even arrange a car rental for you. You might want to check what price they can offer you on a 4x4. They will discuss your plans with you and give you great advice.

It was worth staying in exotic accomodations there because even the most beautiful weren't expensive by the rest of the world's standards. Villa Caletas was breathtaking. http://centralamerica.com/cr/hotel/caletas.htm
We did love Si Como No as well, try to get a front cottage where your only view is the ocean and the jungle. Monkeys come swing in the trees every afternoon.

Regarding Arenal, Tabacon Springs is fantastic, a must see. But you don't have to sleep there. The volcano views are much more dramatic from Arenal Lodge and the rustic cabins are cheap. It's a bit of a drive, but worth it to see the volcano at night while you are in bed.

The biggest problem for us was to find our way around. The streets are not well marked. Get a good map!

You are in for an adventure of a lifetime. Have a great trip! Be sure to post a trip report when you get back, OK?
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 09:44 AM

Maggi: It was good to finally see a note abt Villa Caletas. We've got a trip planned for January and are booked there for 2 nights. It's quite expensive, so I hope it's really great. We're booked in a junior suite, I think-- the villa that has the jacuzzi (which I can't imgagine really using because I think the weather will be too hot, plus I can't really believe they drain it between visitors-- but it looked nice and private and great views). The main thing I'm concerned abt at Caletas is that I couldn't get a king bed. we've never been comfortable in queen, so that concerns me. (Wish we could afford that top room with the king!) Any suggestions for us abt Villa Caletas? Any particular accommodation to ask for or to avoid? By the way, I'd be interested in hearing why you chose Si Como No over some of the other places in MA. We're scheduled to be at Makanda for 3 nights (where there is a king bed), and it, too, is expensive, so I'm hoping it'll be worth it. We had first thought to do Si Como, but I learned (maybe mistakenly) that they don't have non-smoking suites. Thanks for your in-put.
(Other places we're thining of staying: Peace Lodge, Arenal Observatory Lodge, Xandari.)
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 07:47 PM

We stumbled upon Villa Caletas almost by accident and didn't have reservations so we took whatever room that had available at the time. I loved the grounds, the infinity pool, the soft piped in classical music everywhere. It's high up on a cliff and the view is magnificent. Get a cliffside massage if you can. Here, anyway, the room was pretty much secondary to me. As you probably know, Si Como No is cheaper than Makanda. We toured Makanda and while it is nice I felt the villas were too isolated and the place just felt deserted to me. Perhaps that is what you are looking for?
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 09:19 PM
Original Poster

Shillmac,

Thanks for your advice. I'm going to bug you again...

If we start in Arenal you suggest staying at which one of these hotels? Arenal Paraiso, Montana de Fuego or Arenal Observatory. I was looking all of them up and can't make up my mind.

Have you stayed at the Tobocan Hot Springs hotel? You said it's nothing to write home about. I keep hearing mixed things about that place.If you don't stay there how much does it cost to go there? I can't seem to find a price anywhere.

How far is it from Arenal to Tamarindo? And then Tamarindo to Manuel Antonio?

I think I am going to wing it like you said and book my first night and go from there, however I am wondering if I should do 2 nights in Arenal, 2 nights in Tamarindo and 2 nights in Manuel Antonio, or am I over my head and that is too much driving?

The only tours I would like to do are the canopy, white water rafting and horseback riding. Any suggestions on where the best places for these activities are?

Thanks so much!
Old Aug 20th, 2004, 04:10 AM

canibosh,
Tabacon--we've not stayed there BECAUSE too many negative reviews from the food to the rooms. For that price, MOST people should be pleased! Again--it does cost about $29 per person to get into the springs which are wonderful. Staying at Tabacon means the springs are included. That's the advantage.

Arenal Paraiso/Montana de Fuego--stayed at Paraiso. MDF next door, same side of road. Lava flows down this side constantly. Not sure, but I don't think that can be said of Arenal Observatory Lodge. While it may have a good view of the volcano, posters have mentioned no lava flow. It's very convenient to be on that main road through town (IMO) and for that reason, AOL doesn't appeal to us.

Arenal-Tamarindo about 4 hours.

Tamarindo-MA 5-6 hours--probably closer to 6.

Suggestion: You are trying to do too much in 6 nights. You need enough time to relax and enjoy the places you stay. Choose one beach location. Tamarindo is interesting, but it takes you across the entire Nicoya Peninsula which takes up extra time. That causes your total drive time between Arenal and Manuel Antonio to be 9-10 hours instead of the 6 hours it would take you to drive straight from Arenal to MA. without a detour to Tamarindo. That's 3 or 4 extra hours taken off your vacation time just in driving, not to mention time spent checking in, checking out, packing, etc. You really can give up an entire day of your time if you aren't careful!

MA is an excellent place to do all of the activities you mentioned. I think you would be very wise to do an Arenal-Manuel Antonio combination! You are certainly choosing a very good time in which to travel in Costa Rica! Have fun!

Old Aug 20th, 2004, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

Shillmac,

You rock! Thanks so much for all your help I really really really appreciate it.

I have never written on these sites before so this is all new to me. I really think it's great though, everyone is so helpful. I am going to have to remember to write back when I return and let you know how my trip went!

Thanks again!
Old Aug 20th, 2004, 12:41 PM

You'll have a great time--enjoy!
Old Aug 21st, 2004, 12:01 AM

We just got back from CR. We stayed at La Colina in MA, which we enjoyed very much. We had an ocean view suite for $90 per night for 4 people, including breakfast. Great view from our room of the ocean, lush grounds, small pool & swim-up bar. It is not necessary to spend a lot of money for nice accommodations, IMO. Hope this helps. Will write a trip report tomorrow.
Old Aug 21st, 2004, 06:12 AM

Welcome home, Kwoo--can't wait to hear about your fun!
Old Aug 21st, 2004, 09:56 AM

You cannot see the lava flows from the Observatory Lodge.
Old Aug 21st, 2004, 11:09 AM

You can definitely see the lava flows from Arenal Paraiso, which we just did for 2 nights in August!! Fabulous!
Old Aug 21st, 2004, 04:24 PM

My husband and I are planning just about the same trip for October. It will be our first visit. We also were thinking about going to Arenal and Monteverde. You can get between La Fortuna and Monteverde on Interbus for about $25/pp, which takes about 5 hrs. I also found a company which picks you up in your hotel brings you to Arenal Lake in a 4x4 and then shuttles you across the lake and picks you up on the other side. You can go in either direction. Still $25/pp but this only takes ~3hrs. We are in Costa Rica..sounds fun. I found them on, I think, Arenal Paraiso website
Old Aug 22nd, 2004, 08:53 AM

The lake/mini van shuttle is not only the quickest way between Arenal and Monteverde - it is very scenic and fun. I think it took about 3-3 1/2 hours. We thought it would be a 4x4 - but those mini vans can be quite amazing...Also, a vote for Montana del Fuego. Great views, food, grounds, etc. We had a tour that included the hot springs and food and the food was almost edible at Tabacon. And last thing - I would not even consider passing up Monteverde - I think if it almost every day - it is so special. But, there is so much to see and do there - we had 4 days and didn't see nearly enough.
Old Aug 25th, 2004, 07:49 AM

I too love Monteverde. It is such a nice little community. Looking back at posts, I think the reason shillmac keeps telling people they can miss it is because I don't think she has been there yet. Shillmac, correct me if I am wrong.

The cloud forests and the almost constant rainbows somewhere are so beautiful.

It is very hard to get there and drive once there because the roads are terrible but that is because they want it that way. I would hate to see the roads paved and thereby making it easier for even more tourists to go.
Old Aug 25th, 2004, 09:39 AM

Correct, haven't been to Monteverde. It is on our list of places to see. Haven't been to Tortuguero either! The only reason I would suggest that someone miss Monteverde is if they don't seem to have enough time scheduled to make the most of their time there. Been to CR enough to know that all areas are wonderful. Since Monteverde, like the southern Nicoya Peninsula, is a time consuming destination, travelers who want to see these areas should be aware that getting to and from both places will require the better part of a full day each way! Visiting more remote and difficult to access locations depends on how much time vacationers have and what they most want to see and spend their time doing.