Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Best Hotels for Birding in Costa Rica or Belize?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19th, 2015, 03:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, all - I would love to get your recommendations for hotels that have great birding - both on site and that offer guides you can go birding with. I especially love the idea of seeing lots of toucans or quetzals. Any favorite spots out there? We've already done Bosque del Cabo and loved it, but would like to try some new spots. Thanks for any guidance you can give me!
Old Jun 19th, 2015, 03:33 PM

Take a serious look at San Gerardo de Dota (and anticipate seeing your elusive quetzal!) We stayed in little cabinas (no website) but walked to Savegre Lodge for birding ops, lunch/drinks and loved the ambiance. There are a few other lodging options in the area but that is the only one I visited. Also just an FYI, it definitely gets very chilly in the evening so you'll need to pack gear for more spring like weather. We were there in August and it was mid 70's daytime, high 40's at night!
Old Jun 19th, 2015, 03:41 PM

If you would consider Panama, check out the Canopy Tower properties.
http://www.canopytower.com
Old Jun 19th, 2015, 03:42 PM

Or Los Quetzales
http://www.losquetzales.com
Old Jun 20th, 2015, 02:54 AM

For toucans you can hardly beat the Sarapiqui area - you have La Selva (Lodging and guides), Selva Verde (lodging and guides), La Quinta (not the chain), Tirimbina, and many other lodges in the area. For sheer numbers and diversity Sarapiqui is one of the top areas. Higher altitude spots will give you more hummingbirds and of course the Quetzal.As already stated Savegre lodge in the Dota region is great, and I have read good reviews for Trogon lodge also. About 20 minutes before the turn off for Savegre is the exit for Santa Maria de Dota and Copey de Dota where you will find El Toucanette lodge, a quaint little lodge with birding owners (Gary and Edna)who conduct daily birding walks and can arrange any outings you might want. Excellent Quetzal viewing available here. Monteverde will give you the higher altitude birds also along with some fantastic hiking in one of the most beautiful cloud forests you will find.
Old Jun 20th, 2015, 07:32 PM
RAC

Hoo boy. Belize is a little easier--Crooked Tree, Lamanai Outpost Lodge, Chan Chich plus Tikal are the highlights.

Costa Rica? It really depends on the kinds of birds. Toucans are pretty common, I wouldn't orient a trip around those.

Quetzals are altitudinal migrants, so that can be a bit tricky. But most lodges in the Cerro de Muerte/San Gerardo de Dota area will have guides who know where to find them. This past February we had quetzals flying a foot over our heads during our afternoon quetzal tour at Paraiso Quetzales. Hummingbirds are great too (fiery-throated hummingbird is unbelievable).

Probably the best pure bird lodges in CR are Bosque del Rio Tigre about 30 minutes outside Puerto Jimenez (highly, highly recommended) and Rancho Naturalista on the Caribbean slope near Turrualba (on the wish list).

Other lodges/areas where we've had fantastic birding:

Arenal Observatory Lodge
Selva Verde--Sarapiqui are
Bosque del Tolomuco--middle elevation between Cerro de Muerte and San Isidro
Rio Magnolia--between San Isidro and Dominical
Cerro Lodge/Villa Lapas-near Carara/Tarcoles

We know a guide who gives private tours at Bosque del Tolomuco and Rio Magnolia--from either of those lodges you can also tour the Alexander Skutch home and private reserve at Los Cusingos.

I think you saw our trip report regarding some of those areas.

February 2014 we did Panama (Gamboa Rainforest resort plus Los Quetzales (2 nights in Cabin 8 and 2 at your main lodge)). Very, very birdy trip (Gamboa was very good because they poached one of Canopy Tower's best bird guides).
Old Jun 22nd, 2015, 09:51 AM
Original Poster

Lisa, thanks for the suggestion. That area does really interest me. I love the idea of cooler temperatures too.
Old Jun 22nd, 2015, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

cmc, Panama isn't on my list for this trip, but I would definitely be interested in the future. Thanks for those suggestions.

artie, we have stayed at Selva Verde and really liked it a lot. We saw lots of toucans there, and we loved our hike at La Selva. I will check out Trogon Lodge and El Toucanette as well; those sound great too. We've been to Monteverde a few years ago and stayed at Fonda Vela. We did see quetzals, but haven't seen any since that trip. My husband is the bird lover, so I always like to include an area where he can get his fix.

Does the San Gerardo de Dota area offer other things besides birding? About how long would you guys recommend staying in that area?
Old Jun 22nd, 2015, 02:41 PM

Birding, hiking, trout fishing and horseback riding are about the extent of it for the S.G.d.D. area. They do have a really cool bar area at Savegre done like a ski lodge with a circular fire pit- definitely the most happening place in the valley. They also have a fancy day spa if you want some pampering after a long hike.

El Toucanette is a much, much quieter place, as Savegre has gotten very popular- lots of tour groups and bus loads of people at times. No crowds at El Toucanette and the Quetzals often nest in the "living fences" around the lodge so the owners pretty much know where they will be on a daily basis. Gary usually leads a morning birding tour after a hearty breakfast which I believe is included in the cost of the stay.

Just as a side note you might want to research a trip to Ecuador for the future - the Mindo area has some of the best birding out there - imagine 3X's the hummers at the hummingbird gallery in Monteverde!
Old Jun 22nd, 2015, 03:16 PM
Original Poster

Savegre sounds really great. I like the look of Trogon Lodge too. I think we prefer busy over quiet. Do you guys think three nights would be about right for S.G.d.D.? How far is this area from San Jose, and how far is it from the Arenal area?

RAC, I haven't had a chance to look at all your suggestions yet. I'm sure I'll come back with questions - thanks for all of those.
Old Jun 28th, 2015, 08:02 PM

If you find yourself near Boca Tapada, you might get a chance to see the endangered Great Green Macaw, at the Maquenque Eco Preserve.

In Arenal, make a stop at the Caño Negro refuge. This area is known for its bird watching, especially during the wet season. Their herons, storks, and ibis make this a good spot for checking out waterfowl (a good stop if you're tired of looking for toucans and macaws).

Really, most parts of Costa Rica have incredible birdwatching. Here's a list of some of Costa Rica's birding hotspots:

http://www.anywherecostarica.com/des...nterest/nature
Old Jun 29th, 2015, 04:39 PM

I really liked Savegre, wanted to include a night at El Toucanet but storm Tomas precluded. Had owner Marino Chacon as my guide.

It was several years ago, it is def popular with birding tours.

You can get there in half a day from San Jose. Three nights sounds fine.

It gets cold at night. You may spend time in tbe bar around the fire pit.
Old Jun 30th, 2015, 09:50 AM

Bookmarking for future reference!
Old Jun 30th, 2015, 01:15 PM

It was nearly 5 years ago that I went, according to some people, that's too long ago to be useful.

http://www.fodors.com/community/mexi...-2010-long.cfm

The Picasa links in the report won't work, so here is the updated one just for Savegre

https://picasaweb.google.com/1053023...greAndQuetzals
Old Jul 1st, 2015, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

Austin, I have not heard of that preserve - sounds wonderful. We did see scarlet macaws on the Osa, and that was amazing. Seeing the green ones would be a real treat. Cano Negro is another favorite spot of ours.

RAC, did you stay at Paraiso Quetzal or are you able to do a tour there even if you don't stay there?
Old Jul 1st, 2015, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

m, I don't think that's too long ago to be useful. Wow, your quetzal photos are amazing. Thanks for sharing them. I love the look of the river too - so beautiful.
Old Jul 1st, 2015, 10:34 AM
RAC

We didn't stay at Paraiso Quetzales. Just lunch and a 1 hour, 45 minute quetzal/bird tour. We arrived around 12:45 PM, were back on the road around 3:45 PM.

Here's the bird list: from the roughly 2 hours we actually spent looking at/for birds:

Ruddy pigeon, green violet-ear, magnificent hummingbird, fiery-throated hummingbird, volcano hummingbird, resplendent quetzal, black-billed nightingale thrush, sooty thrush, mountain thrush, clay-colored thrush, black-and-yellow silky-flycatcher, long-tailed silky-flycatcher, Wilson's warbler, collared redstart, slaty flowerpiercer, large-footed finch, rufous-collared sparrow, sooty-capped chlorospingus, bronzed cowbird

and photos we took (hummingbirds were all taken in the 30 minutes we spent waiting for our lunch to arrive)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/312673...7650971975491/
Old Jul 1st, 2015, 03:21 PM
Original Poster

Beautiful!
Old Jul 2nd, 2015, 08:41 PM

Amazing!
Old Jul 7th, 2015, 12:59 PM

Chiming in a little late here (just back from Honduras), but definitely agree with Selva Verde, La Selva, Tirimbina and Nature's Pavilion in the Sarapiqui area, Rancho Naturalista, Savegre along with Bosque de Paz and Cataratas del Toro. I stayed at BdP - two nights is great and you can do a day trip to C del Toro from there. (we did a separate day trip to C. del Toro after returning to SJO at the end of the 2013 Fodor's GTG to Bosque del Cabo) BdPaz is cloud forest, so quite chilly at night.

Savegre is a the best place for quetzals and were nesting right outside of our cabin. Loads of hummingbirds there, too, so I was one happy camper!

I have made 3 day trips to Paraiso del Quetzal which is about 2 1/2 hours or so south of San Jose. Great place for hummingbirds and quetzals. The cabins look pretty basic, but I might try it sometime. Easy to stop here for breakfast or lunch on your way to San Gerardo de Dota/Savegre.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -