Search

All Inclusive Resort Recommendations - Mexico

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21st, 2013, 03:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All Inclusive Resort Recommendations - Mexico

Hey all -

I'm looking to take a vacation with my girlfriend in March or April of 2014 to Mexico. She is Mexican on both sides of her family, but has never visited Mexico. I have been there a few times, but either to work (church project in Reynosa), or on a cruise (Ensenada). I have never had the pleasure of staying in Mexico for the sole purpose of relaxation.

I want to take her to Mexico so she can enjoy the country, and visit her roots. But I also want it to be romantic and fun - affording us multiple types of entertainment (snorkeling, horseback riding, etc), while close enough to a city so we can explore and sightsee on our own as well. Basically, I don't want to be locked away on a resort for a week, without any access to "real Mexico". Does that make sense?

My budget is flexible - I certainly don't want to skimp on any costs, but I also don't want to spend $500/night either.

I look forward to your suggestions very much!

Thank you!

Eric
Old Nov 21st, 2013, 07:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
For your purposes, choose Cabo or Puerto Vallarta. Easy to reach from California. In either place, AI isn't really necessary. Plenty of great places to eat close by. Look up trip reports here or check out trip advisor; they have a more active Mexico forum.
Old Nov 22nd, 2013, 07:43 AM

all inclusives have little to nothing to do with her roots and everything to do with Americanized Mexican food and isolation from Mexican culture. find out were her family is from and visit that area.
Old Nov 22nd, 2013, 08:41 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I'd choose Puerto Vallarta, but do not stay at an All-Inclusive resort. Just pick a nice hotel somewhere in town, the hotel zone, or the Marina area. And eat at all the fabulous restaurants, cafes, bars, beach bars, that are all over town. PV has the perfect balance for relaxation or activities, "authentic Mexico" with tourist ammenities, friendly local people.
Old Nov 22nd, 2013, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

Katzgar - thank you very much - great idea! Now I feel like a rotten boyfriend! Ha!

Suze - I've been looking at Puerto Vallarta, and I think it has the best combination from what I've seen of touristy + authentic Mexico.
Old Nov 22nd, 2013, 10:18 AM

I'm crazy for the PV. If you click on my screen name, I have three threads ("Just back from PV") here on Fodor's from my last three visits there. Lots of people have shared great information in addition to my trip report, that might give you a further feel for what it's all about.

(don't let Katzgar make you feel bad, he posts mean stuff all the time)
Old Nov 22nd, 2013, 10:25 AM

actually you should talk to her and find out were her family is from like I said. you will learn that Suze is just a shill for PV. there are many locations that entertain tourists and are much more Mexican than PV.
Old Nov 22nd, 2013, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

I'm enjoying this back and forth between Katzgar and Suze. And no, feelings are not hurt at all - I've got thick skin, and it's the Internet. When asking for the public's opinion, one has to expect a wide gamut of responses. Is there really animosity between Katzgar and Suze, or is this all playful jabbing?)

Regardless of where we end up, we will have fun, I am sure. From my talking with her, she seems to be more interested in visiting Mexico proper, than a specific city. She's never been out of the country (whereas I travel the world frequently).
Old Nov 22nd, 2013, 10:51 AM

Nope, no animosity between us (at least not from my end).

I try to make specific suggestions I feel are appropriate in reply to questions asked here, not just make fun of posters and take jabs at them to make them feel bad.

Like where exactly are the "many locations that entertain tourists and are much more Mexican than PV"? Name names please.

I am not a "shill" for Puerto Vallarta. Rather I know it very well because I go there 1-2/year and have for a couple decades. And it does often fit the description of what people are seeking.
Old Nov 22nd, 2013, 11:07 AM

Well for my two cents worth, I would stay away from the AI places. They are all the same and have absolutly nothing to do with the authentic Mexican way of life. By the way you would be hardpressed in finding authentic Mexico in PV. It is a tourist centered city that because of it's geogrphical location lives off the many tourists who visit for a week or two. PV has all kinds of great things to see and do but few of them have anything to do with Mexico except for the weather and language... Mexico is a beautiful country and the Mexican culture is famous for it's friendliness and warmth. If you want to taste a bit of authenticity then take a crash course in Spanish and try exchanging with the local folk rather than the waiter at the AI... where ever you may be in Mexico.
Old Nov 22nd, 2013, 11:14 AM

<By the way you would be hardpressed in finding authentic Mexico in PV.>

Rohelio, Tell that to the 1/4 million Mexican citizens who live there. I bet they'd be surprised to hear it.
Old Nov 22nd, 2013, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

Perhaps I should clarify...

For instance, I recently visited Ensenada for the day a few weeks ago on a short weekend cruise from Long Beach, California. I did the touristy horseback riding and tour of the city, but I enjoyed it as I learned a lot about the city - part of my reason for visiting.

However, I also spent a few hours walking around the town, and sampled food and wine in some of the less touristy restaurants. Of course, I made the obligatory stop at Papas&Beer, but as they say, "when in Rome..."

I'm not looking to be cut off from civilization, and of course want the nice amenities afforded by a semi-luxury hotel. Places like Cancun seem too touristy for me, and I realize Puerto Vallarta is also touristy, however, like Suze pointed out, there are 1.25 million Mexican citizens there, and from my research there are still things to do "off the beaten path", so to speak.

But I thank everyone for their continued input.
Old Nov 22nd, 2013, 11:33 AM

"I try to make specific suggestions I feel are appropriate in reply to questions asked here, not just make fun of posters and take jabs at them to make them feel bad." I suggest you reread your prior post and retract the quote.

There are about 84,000 N American expats in Jallisco so not quite the Mexico one might hope for.

Eric we still don't know your gf's family area of origin which I submit really should be your focus as visiting distant cousins may well be a component of your trip.

I suspect the 1/4 million Mexicans in PV Suze refers to are the ones going to Mickie D's and KFC. Snorkeling will be best done at Cozumel which is a tourist trap like PDC and Cancun. The thing is snorkeling is best done on the Carib coast but the area is purpose built for tourists. look at this stuff on gmaps (street view) and youtube.
Old Nov 22nd, 2013, 11:36 AM

actually Suzes number seems to be more accurate.
Old Nov 22nd, 2013, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

Katzgar - she's in work meetings all day - waiting to hear back from her. Will update once I know.
Old Nov 22nd, 2013, 11:39 AM

my favorite was to visit san Sebastian in the hills outside of PV, a colonial mining town from the 1600's There are some rustic B and B's in the mountains east of SS but cant for the life of me suggest how to contact them.
Old Nov 22nd, 2013, 11:41 AM

Puerto Vallarta fits exactly what eric describes he is seeking, a mix of Mexican culture and tourist ammenities.

Yes the locals go to McDonald's and Kentucky Fried Chicken more than the tourists do. Does that mean they aren't "authentic Mexicans"?
Old Nov 22nd, 2013, 11:45 AM

as do about a dozen other destinations in Mexico
Old Nov 22nd, 2013, 11:48 AM

I like Puerto Vallarta, been there 7 times now, the town really has a ton of wonderful restaurants to eat at, short cab ride from your hotel.
I really love the Riviera Maya though, especially south of Playa del Carmen like Akumal or Tulum. Cannot speak much to AIs though, always stay non-AI or in a condo. Only time I stayed at an AI was a few months after my husband passed away, and that was at Akumal Beach Resort, it was the right place for me to be at during that time of my life.
Old Nov 22nd, 2013, 11:49 AM

Katzgar, So why not share what those dozen other places are. Name 'em. Make a suggestionand actually help eric here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -