Search

Going to MA

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15th, 2005, 04:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Going to MA

My wife and I are planning to be in CR for two weeks starting Dec 21. In the second part of our trip we plan to stay in Quepos. Has anyone ever heard anything good / bad about Hotel California ?

Thanks for the insights. Daniel
Old Nov 15th, 2005, 04:24 AM

Hotel California has been discussed here in the past . I believe it was a nice place at one time , recently it does not seem to get great reviews ...? Check out other sites to get a more thourough idea . Hotels here with fairly consistent good reviews are SiComoNo , Costa Verde , Villas Nicolas , Mango Moon , Tulemar Bungalows , what is your price range ?
Old Nov 15th, 2005, 08:27 AM

We stayed at the Hotel California, but it was in 2002. Our experience was very pleasant. Great staff, comfortable rooms, nice bed, delicious food. Totally pleased.

I do not recall any negative reports, however it does not seem to be visited much by people on this forum. Of course, popularity of hotels is typically determined by the number of times they are mentioned.
Old Nov 15th, 2005, 09:14 AM

A really sweet place that does not get a great deal of mention is Verde Mar , and also the new La Posada Jungle ..... There are actually a great deal of choices in M.A. , in all sorts of price ranges . ( Didi's Charming B&B is only $45.00 per night including breakfast and is TRULY charming) It is across the road from La Colina( a cute well priced little place ) and not far from Hotel California .
Old Nov 15th, 2005, 09:39 AM

I stayed at Hotel California in October and found it to be comfortable, welcoming and excellent value. I recommend it highly. Also, I give this hotel points for being one of the best community citizens in the entire area, particularly in support of handicapped children and young adults living in the rural areas who have little access to services. The owner of Hotel California also led efforts to bring relief to victims of the recent flooding in the area.

This hotel deserves your support, and you won't be disappointed.
Old Nov 15th, 2005, 09:51 AM

I was a bit surprised by faithie's post stating that "recently it [Hotel California] does not seem to get great reviews." So I did a search of this site for those bad reviews. The only mention that was in any way negative was one post which said that the 2-bedroom villa (a separate facility from the hotel, by the way) smelled musty and was a bit of a hike to the reception area.

Did I overlook some other negative post somewhere?
Old Nov 15th, 2005, 10:13 AM

There is no need to be upset , this was not a personal attack against the Hotel California . I have absolutely nothing against it , I just knew I had read something negative in a few spots , and remembered a few trip reports from awhile ago ( thus my ...? ) I also suggested to the OP to do a search on other sites to make certain for themselves . I believe I remember seeing something on Trip Advisor . I have no ill-intent , the op asked for the good/bad , I was being honest . I am glad you enjoyed it , the web-site looks beautiful.
Old Nov 15th, 2005, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your comments about Hotel California - je l'apprécie !

I just got worried when I did not see ANY mention of it in Fodor's 2006 edition ...
Old Nov 15th, 2005, 10:57 AM

Robbie Felix does a lot of admirable community work in the area. I've passed by it many times but never stopped in, it does look nice. Book soon though!! You're going at a very busy time.
Old Nov 15th, 2005, 11:08 AM

I would not worry that it was not mentioned in the new Fodors , lots of cute spots are not mentioned , there is only room for so much ..... I did a quick search and issues ( besides the musty villa ) were more with noisy springbreakers (you will not have that problem in Dec. ) and someone with a payment/manager thing . As Tully said , if this is your choice , book soon ! Good Luck !
Old Nov 15th, 2005, 02:04 PM

Hello danield,

We have stayed at Hotel California twice. We received an educators discount. The staff was extremely nice and the breakfast buffet was very good. I liked the location off of a busy road. Second floor rooms have good views and the second time we were there the monkeys were in the garden. It was great fun.
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 11:53 AM

Faithie, your right up my alley. I'm feeling guilty because my girlfriend really wants to stay at Costa Verde and for some reason I keep looking at Verde Mar & La Posada Jungle (maybe because of the location) Any opinion which is better?
4 adults / 5 kids in April
Doreen
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 02:10 PM

We stayed at Hotel California in July of 2004. There certainly wasn't anything wrong with it, although it was a little challenging to find the first time (small sign--with a seashell on it, I think). Also, the restaurant service was slow. I seem to remember a few negative reviews as well. It was a good value, however, and we would stay there again, although I'd probably opt for Costa Verde or Villas Nicolas--we also enjoyed Si Como No, but it is a little pricey.
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 02:33 PM

Well ..... We stayed at Costa Verde in an efficiency unit ( D-Unit ) , with our kids 6 and 8 and really loved it . Great location , in the jungle , lotsa wildlife , convenient restaurants , cute pools ..... It was excellent with kids . OH !!!! and those views from Anaconda are amazing !! The other 2 places ARE very sweet . La Posada Jungle( like a little boutique hotel ) is at the edge of the park itself ,in the jungle , closer to the beach a bit , but no view . Verde Mar is just down the road a bit from Costa Verde , and is closer to the beach as well , but again no view ( cute place) . It's a tough choice . All three are nice . Do you have a car ? ( we did not and it was fine ) we bussed or taxied ) !! We would probably stay at Costa Verde again . Eating breakfast with a view of Punta Catedral .... AHHHH !!! Decisions ...Decisions....
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 02:46 PM

We will not have a car.
I had heard that at Costa Verde, we won't really mix with any other locals or tourists to get the Costa Rica feel. Thats why I was leaning the other way. Your right, decisions, decisions. Maybe my girlfriend wins, Costa Verde Studio Plus?
Thanks
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 02:58 PM

I can't see why you'd mix less with locals/tourists at Costa Verde compared to any other place really. The studio plus rooms are to die for - B7 was mine and the view was awesome.
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 03:56 PM

Personally , we had great conversations chatting with locals at Anaconda and La Cantina ( the restaurants at Costa Verde ) An American owns it , but an American also owns La Posada ..... The chances for striking up conversations would be the same at both .( IMHO )
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 04:27 PM

This forum is great - I can't wait!
Costa Verde it is!
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 04:37 PM

Nothing to add - but I had not revisited this post since my response. I am so pleased to see very positive replies from you that have visited the Hotel California more recently than our visit. And yes Robbie Felix (owner) does do a lot of community service.

Look forward to returning some day.
Old Dec 2nd, 2005, 10:27 AM

I tried for Costa Verde and they will not confirm a roll-away/cot over Easter for 5th person. Both Verde Mar & La Posada will - which one do you think. 2 adults & 3 kids (9,11,14)
Thanks - Doreen

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -