Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

NATURE AIR Loco Fares now have a 15 lb. luggage limit (Costa Rica)!!! Help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2nd, 2010, 03:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

<b>NATURE AIR loco fares</b> in Costa Rica now have a <b>15-lb. luggage limit</b>! Help! We didn't notice this til after we booked our flights between San Jose Pavas and Puerto Jimenez to get to and from the Osa.

If we had booked a more expensive fare, we would then have gotten the <b>25-lb. luggage limit</b>. The Loco Fare isn't such a good deal if you have to pay for excess luggage.

I know we can pay for <b>excess luggage</b>. I'm guessing our luggage will weigh 25 lbs. Here is my concern...I know Nature Air can bump your excess luggage onto a later flight...your excess luggage can even arrive the next day. <b>Do you think we are more likely to have our luggage bumped because we chose the Loco Fare with the 15-lb. luggage limit?</b>

I don't want to arrive without my luggage! Do you think we should try to upgrade our flights to the more expensive flights which include the 25-lb. luggage limit?

Because of the luggage limits I don't want to take my regular suitcase because it weighs 8 lbs. empty. Any suggestions for <b>ULTRA LIGHT WEIGHT AND WATERPROOF LUGGAGE</b> suitable to take on Nature Air? We need to pack enough stuff to stay at Bosque del Cabo for 5 nights. What will weigh the most will be shoes, camera stuff, some prescription items, and toiletries such as shampoo, DEET, soap, flashlights etc. Clothes will weigh the least.

Thanks for any tips or suggestions!
Old Dec 2nd, 2010, 04:16 PM

I'd e-mail Leo at Bosque del Cabo and see what he would have to tell you. They are used to dealing with those kinds of things.
Old Dec 2nd, 2010, 04:31 PM

A lot of people like the weekender convertible bags from ebags that come in some nice colors and are lightweight. We have one in purple and love it and then we take an ultra-light carry-on that I picked up at Ross. I've never bothered trying with anything waterproof.
Old Dec 2nd, 2010, 04:55 PM

We have the same bag hip does. Lots of people on the board use those; you can pack a lot in them, and they're lightweight.
Old Dec 2nd, 2010, 05:38 PM

Also, unless you really need a specific shampoo or soap, those are provided at Bosque. I actually liked what they had. Maybe it was a soap/shampoo combination? I can't quite remember, but I wouldn't bother packing that unless you need a particular one. Save your space and weight.
Old Dec 2nd, 2010, 06:49 PM

I take my own, but a couple of small samples. Partial to my own! Small luxury. . . .

The ebags are really good, we like ours, too. They pack way more than you'd think.

Actually, I'd just not worry about it. Pack your bag, pack your backpack, show up for your flight, and take it from there, go with the flow. You'll get your stuff quickly. Or you can pay a overage fee? I wouldn't even give it a second thought. Too minor. You don't want to try to get down there with 15 pounds, so just don't stress over it. Just telling you what I would do. No way could I go without binoculars, camera, somewhat weighty things. Wouldn't even attempt to whittle it down to 15.
Old Dec 2nd, 2010, 06:52 PM

They have flashlights for you to use if you want to do without that weight. Wear your heavier shoes. Do be sure to take 2 pair of socks per day. Or at least 1 pair per day, with 2-3 extra pair. Laundry always an option.
Old Dec 2nd, 2010, 07:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all these ideas!
Old Dec 3rd, 2010, 02:53 AM

www.flysansa.com better deals usually leaves from SJO

so no expensive cab rides to Pavas..

Always pack light clothes layers rain gear sundries

in my trusty lite medium roly poly pack

wear my 1 pound hikers and camera to cut weight down

pay no luggage fees on all carriers that way..

Plan carefully you will make it...

Pretty sneaky but all the airlines are doing this

to increase revenue..4 checked bags on Delta now-$200

Truly obscene,but have fun plan carefully,
Old Dec 3rd, 2010, 09:05 AM

I don't think I could do 15 pounds. I've gotten down to around 20 or 22, but 15 would be pushing it for me with camera, etc.
Old Dec 3rd, 2010, 09:22 AM

Don't you get to carry your camera and guidebook as personal items? Hopefully your camera has a rechargeable battery. When traveling light I use a cheap nylon duffel bag to check and a lightweight daypack as the carryon. I always wear my heaviest shoes, hat and clothes. Really only need a few changes of clothes, and make do with laundry. Find out what the lodge provides and don't bring that. Things like shampoo and soap really add up, and most lodges prefer that you use theirs which is biodegradable. As far as raingear I found that Coleman's emergency rain poncho held up really well and weighs almost nothing. Most places do have umbrellas and if they don't, just use the poncho.

When I'm getting really anal I'll weigh pieces of clothing and bring the lightest ones. On the international flight I'll wear old clothing and discard the outfit before taking the domestic flight with the stricter weight limits.

If you are staying somewhere else before your domestic flight see if they'll store some of your luggage.
Old Dec 3rd, 2010, 10:12 AM

Comparing prices and the baggage policies... Nature Air's loco fare is the best deal price wise. Their next fare class is pretty much on par with Sansa's prices and offers the same weight of 27 pounds plus carry on.

Last time I flew Nature Air, the had started an airport shuttle that picks you up at SJO and takes you to their terminal for just $5, which is less than what I saved on buying the Loco fare. If you're over just a bit on weight they sometimes let you get away with it, or the charge is $7. They are all pretty forgiveable fees, so I'd also say go with the flow and enjoy the views from their beautiful planes!
Old Dec 4th, 2010, 12:14 PM

Keeping your bag light and shoes to a minimum is the secret, I think. I think you should take up the challenge and keep your luggage under 15# and then write back and tell us all about it. My bags usually weigh closer to 20# but I travel for 5-6 weeks at a time at various altitudes and pack along a 1st aid kit for a group, Spanish study materials, gifts for teachers and host families, my kindle, and a small laptop (netbook). My packing list is #14 on the FAQ thread of the Thorntree forum:
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntre...hreadID=828622

If you're buying a new bag and you think you'll be wanting to wear it as a pack with any regularity (this is important to me), consider the Osprey Porter 46 - carry-on sized like the ebags week-ender but with great compression and suspension systems. If you don't think you'll use the shoulder straps much then the week-ender is an awesome choice.

Keep us posted!
Old Dec 4th, 2010, 05:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all these hints about luggage and packing! I guess I'll start out with the lightest weight bags I can find, then try to pack as light as I can. If i succeed in packing a 15-lb. check-on, I promise I'll post a list of what I packed and how I managed that miracle! I do think shoes, flashlight, and any binoculars will be among my heavier items. My husband will take his camera but I find I enjoy myself more without a camera. You have all given me some good ideas for packing light.

Any more ideas for packing light are welcome!

We will stay at the same hotel near the San Jose airports at start and end of the trip so I could ask them to hold our heavier luggage...

<b>QUESTION:</b> Can you recommend an excellent <b>light-weight flashlight </b>to use at Bosque del CAbo for 5 nights...that is very light weight??? Spare Batteries will have to be weighed as well.
Old Dec 4th, 2010, 07:47 PM

The weekender does offer both a handle and straps, so you have the choice between them. I'm a convert down from a 50 pound rolling bag to about 20 pounds on the weekender. I'll never forget a driver looking at our luggage, and saying, "That's it? You guys travel light!" It did feel like an accomplishment.

I would just get a headlamp instead of a flashlight. Much easier to carry. You can wear it or carry it. We got ours at REI and have used them a lot, have never had to replace the batteries yet.
Old Dec 4th, 2010, 08:58 PM

Hi, volcano - I 2nd your headlamp recommendation. I checked out the weekenders when we were traveling in Belize with my husband's brother's family and I was impressed - a well organized, sturdy, perfect-sized bag. The straps would suffice if you didn't need to wear it much but there wasn't much protection between the contents and my back and no waist strap. I think it's a great choice for many but not for me because I actually use my bag as a pack quite a lot and need it to have a suspension system more like a backpacking backpack to be comfortable. Happy trails!
Old Dec 6th, 2010, 01:43 PM

Two years ago. I took nature air and had the 15 lb restriction. Be aware there is a weight restriction on the carry-on too. I took a small carry on with my net book.. and any essentials that I would need if my luggage was bumped. I went to REI and bought a duffle (no wheels) it weighs about 2.5 lbs... In Costa Rica you don't need much. Sun Dresses, shorts.. cotton t shirts.
My REI Bag is bomb proof..cordura and water resistant. I had to take horse back riding gear for a later stay in Junquillal (boots and pants!) I had enough clean clothes for 5-6 days then paid to have them washed.... I took small bottles of toiletries, wore my heaviest shoes.. You can do it!!!!
You are going to a low key informal place that doesn't allow hair dryers.... AS for your prescriptions keep those with you.. many trips are ruined because luggage lost with the RX in them. I have always gone to CR in January and have never brought any rain gear. Had a shower once at BC....didn't need gear. I would recommend light weight flip flops for the cabin at BC.. I did step on a scorpion there.. probably brought out by the rain shower. Not life threatening... but boy did it hurt!!!! Ps. luggage weighed in at 13.5 lbs!
Old Dec 6th, 2010, 03:08 PM

regarding headlamps - i like them in theory, but not when the bugs are swarming at my face because of them. i still use mine, but it's strapped around my waist, not my head. our weekender for 18 day trips come in under 25 pounds including 2 cameras and we carry all of our toiletries with us so it really is possible to pack lighter than you think...and do laundry as you go. my packing list would probably be similar for a several month trip like hope's, just more laundering.
Old Dec 6th, 2010, 04:04 PM
Original Poster

THANKS so much everybody! The continuing discussion about how to pack light and what to pack is very interesting and helpful. What I'm hoping to do is be organized enough to pack really early so I can weigh my luggage and lighten up if I need to. I'll aim at a 15-lb. bag and if I need more we will just plan to pay the difference. Definitely I always carry my prescriptions with me on the flight...in my carry-on.

PLEASE JUMP IN the discussion if you have any more tips on packing light for that Nature Air flight. I think this will help anybody reading this.

Looks like I need to go to R.E.I for various items. I also like ebags on-line. Any other suggestions for travel shopping...on line or good stores in San Diego?

<b>Any good web-sites for buying quick-drying tropical clothes made with light-weight fabrics? I'm ready to SHOP!</b>
Old Dec 6th, 2010, 04:24 PM

I wouldn't worry about quick dry clothing unless you think you'll get a lot of use out of it. It's costly and you'll be there during dry season. Regular summer wear works fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -