Mexico - All Inclusive with GOOD food?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10th, 2008, 04:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Considering a trip to Mexico - Cancun or Playa del Carmen (my preference). Is there such a thing as an AI with good food? Not seeing any so far. Adults with 2 18 year old girls.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Old Feb 10th, 2008, 06:32 PM

Everyone says Royal Hideaway has wonderful food. But, last I heard there wasn't much, if any, beach there.

Lots of great restaurants in Playa though. All types of food for all budgets. No need to go all-inclusive.
Old Feb 11th, 2008, 03:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Royal Playa del Carmen. It's adults only, but over 18 is OK. Good food, great service, 5 minute walk from dowtown Playa.
Old Feb 11th, 2008, 06:16 AM

Stayed here for a top sales retreat--I thought the food was very good.
http://www.iberostarquetzal.com/
Old Feb 11th, 2008, 07:41 AM

Great food and all ala-carte as well at the Dreams resorts and the Secrets resorts (same owner). No wrist bands either. Great places. Secrets adult only, Dreams allows kids.

Old Feb 11th, 2008, 09:20 AM

I second the Royal PDC. The food was very good and choice of restaurants was good. You did not need to make reservations and the location is perfect...you can walk everywhere.
Old Feb 11th, 2008, 10:11 AM

With teens I'd not bother with an AI. We've done AIs several times when our kids were young and it was easy and convenient, but most recently (when out kids were 15&17) we rented a condo in PDC a few blocks from town.

The condo was great. It had a pool and was on the beach. The town is loaded with a variety of restaurants and has tons of little stores of all kinds. My kids enjoyed the freedom of going into town to have lunch, and wander around a little. For dinner we tried a different place every night. We kept beverages and snacks in the condo and sometimes would pick up something for breakfast or lunch instead of going out. My son even joined in some football and soccer games with other family groups on the beach.

I would do this again in a heartbeat.

Old Feb 16th, 2008, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

MFNYC - Something to consider. My teen is asking for the AI since her best friend's family went and rave about it. Personally, I think AI's are more costly, esp for a smaller family. The girls definitely want to meet other teens. Sounds like your kids had no problem with that.

You have any info on the condo you rented?
Old Feb 16th, 2008, 07:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The girls will be able to drink in Mexico as the drinking age is 18. If they will be drinking, the all inclusive may turn out to be a LOT less expensive depending on the deal you get. I also feel safer when the teens are in a "self contained" location.
Old Feb 16th, 2008, 01:06 PM

Xaman Ha condos is where we stayed. There are several agencies where you can rent them. I was advised to avoid Playa Inn.

Tripadvisor has lots of commetns about rentals there: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...Peninsula.html

My kids didn't really socialize with the other kids, although there were many there. My son did play beach games with them but other than that my 2 kids stuck together. They didn't go out at night on their own. We'd all go to dinner together then go back to the condo.

I think there were club/bar type places right in the mall on the way to 5th Avenue where the 18+ hang out.