Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Arenal Lava direction has changed-should I cancel Arenal Observatory Lodge and book another hotel

Search

Arenal Lava direction has changed-should I cancel Arenal Observatory Lodge and book another hotel

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 2006, 07:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I booked awhile ago the Arenal Observatory Lodge smithsonian room for August. I just noticed that the lava has changed and you can't see it from that hotel. I really wanted to have a room with lava view. This hotel looked really nice but since it doesn't have a lava view I am thinking of canceling. I know that I have 30 days to get a full refund. I know that seeing the lava is not guaranteed. Should I cancel my reservation and what hotel should I book? We are 2 adults and 2 kids. We want a hotel with a pool. Some hotel choices are Arenal Lodge, Arenal Paraiso, Los Lagos, Montana de Fuego, Fuego Arenal, Arenal Springs Resort, Volcano Lodge and Lost Iguana that have lava views. Anyone recommend any of these hotels?
Old May 24th, 2006, 11:19 PM

I would cancel the Arenal Observatory Lodge because every time you want to go anywhere you have to drive up and down a bumpy road. It's a nice place to visit once (we visited) but I was glad we didn't stay there.

We loved the Lost Iguana resort. You will want a car while staying there. With a car everything is convenient from the Lost Iguana. We loved the feeling that it is nestled right down into nature...From our private patio (in our luxury suite on the first floor) we could hear 6 different kinds of frogs (hubby is a biologist) as we sat in the rocking chairs and watched the lava flow. Of course you realize the lava flow view isn't ever guaranteed because it can get clouded over and also the flow can move. But we were very pleased with our stay there.

Also my niece went to Costa Rica on her honeymoon recently, and she enjoyed the Lost Iguana as well.

The luxury suites are the best rooms, they are bigger. However the regular rooms (our kids had one) are quite nice, just a lot smaller and the bathrooms are more deluxe in the luxury suites.

Enjoy beautiful Costa Rica! Do the Hanging Bridges hike in the morning...a beautiful nature trail. Go slow, stop and look at the variety of life around you.
Old May 25th, 2006, 07:18 AM

I recommend Arenal Lodge. It's away from all the other hotels but to me that's a good thing. The grounds are lush and beautiful, food and service are very good and the view of the volcano is excellent. I've been to Arenal countless times and I've always seen the lava flowing from my window unless it was covered by clouds.

Sandy
Old May 25th, 2006, 08:17 PM
Original Poster

I sent an email to Arenal Observatory and they said that the smithsonian rooms and dining room has a view of the lava. Has anyone recently been to Arenal Observatory?
Meliss5
Does the regular rooms at Lost Iguana have a view of the lava? Is there a patio off of the regular rooms? How is the pool at Lost Iguana?
Old May 25th, 2006, 08:18 PM

I booked with Arenal Paraiso because of their pool (I'm travelling with a 7-year-old in July) and good reviews I've read about them everywhere. The funny thing is a few days ago, they emailed me that they could see the lava from their hotel at night now. I thought that they may have been just saying that in response to me asking if we may be able to see the lava - but it appears that they weren't just saying that, the lava flow has changed direction.

I also booked there because I gave up trying to figure out which hotel would be the best to see the lava at night because there's no guarantee, and I was spending a lot of time trying to figure it out. And I didn't want to end up in a hotel that didn't have other things I wanted (like a pool for my son) just for the possibility of seeing the lava, and then end up not being able to see the lava for whatever reason - cloud cover, lava direction, etc. So I booked there and am hoping for the best, and if it turns out we can't see it from there, I've heard there are observatories you can go to at night to see it. (Don't know if that's true) and if we can see it, that'll be a nice bonus. Good luck trying to figure out where to stay! I was right where you are a few weeks ago.
Old May 26th, 2006, 05:26 AM

Ah, such a difficult issue! When I was booking our trip, the word was that you couldn't see lava from the Observatory Lodge, so I booked the Lost Iguana (LOVED it, but the way.)

One night we saw what we thought was a good lave show...several long thin streams. Well, the next day we were up at the Observatory Lodge and everyone was talking about the HUGE flow of lava they had seen all night. Of course, my husband was very jealous and wondered why I hadn't booked the Observatory Lodge instead. You just can't control nature!
Old May 26th, 2006, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

Missypie
When did you go to Lost Iguana? Did you go recently when the lava direction changed. Looking at the arenal map it looks like the lava is not flowing where the observatory is but the hotel said that our room (smithsonian) still has a view of the lava. I assume that they wouldn't lie. I think i will leave my reservation there. Thanks for everyones help.
Old May 26th, 2006, 11:03 AM

Probably a good idea. With the weather, it's so unsure anyway. We went in May and it was cloudy at night for 3 days. Never saw any lava.
Old May 26th, 2006, 11:03 AM

Oops, I mean we went in MARCH. Sorry.
Old May 26th, 2006, 02:02 PM

Can I piggyback for a sec and just ask when did the lava flow direction change and where did it change from/to?

Where can i find out this kind of info?
Old May 26th, 2006, 08:25 PM

We were at the LI in mid-March.
Old May 27th, 2006, 02:05 AM

This map shows the lava flow:

http://arenal.net/arenal-costa-rica-map.htm
Old May 27th, 2006, 06:55 PM

And here's another lava flow map:

http://costa-rica-guide.com/travel/i...amp;Itemid=357

This map notes that the change in lava flow in late May 2006 has restored a lava view to many hotels who've been left in the dark for the last year.
Old May 27th, 2006, 07:58 PM

Just got back from CR today, so just a quick note.....was at Arenal Paraiso 05/13-05/16 and had 3 great days of beautiful clear weather and great view of the lava from there. Keep in mind you're not seeing great big spewing lava, just little flows. Loved the Paraiso, had a perfect view right from my patio & bed (stayed in a standard) and they were very friendly. As an aside, after going on the Sky trek & volcano hike (both in the direction of Observatory), just personally I'm glad I didn't book there, it's quite a drive.
Old May 28th, 2006, 07:45 PM

So based on the maps, almost all the hotels have a view right now (with Tabacon being smack dab in the middle) except for the hotels from Observatory Lodge to La Pradera (more or less the eastern side of the mountain), am I reading this correctly?

So how has the lava view really changed in May/06, because I thought that these hotels have had the lava views for at least that last year?!
Old May 28th, 2006, 11:14 PM

When I checked those maps a few weeks ago, especially the one on arenal.net, it showed the hotels that had views as being the Tabacon resort and west, down to the Observatory Lodge. On that map, it shows a curved arrow that says "lava viewing angle Jan. 06." On that map now it does seem to be saying that the area has expanded, but the other map seems to be saying the viewing area has shifted to not include the Observatory Lodge. But if they told Melissa5 they could see lava from there, maybe it is that most hotels can see it. As that website says, it's a gamble!

Thanks for the good review on the Arenal Paraiso, tully! We're counting down the days until we leave for CR (28), and I think the anticipation is almost as much fun as the trip will be.
Old May 29th, 2006, 02:00 PM

meliss35
I am bummed!!! I too booked at the observatory lodge in a smithsonian room. Since we are leaving in nine days :-} I'm not planning on changing. I'll post when I get back and let you know how it is. I think I may have more problems seeing anything because of the weather.
Old May 29th, 2006, 07:49 PM

melissa I emailed the lodge and they told me also that you can still see some of the lava flow. Hope that's the case.
Old May 29th, 2006, 07:57 PM
Original Poster

cahenn
I hope you have a great trip. Let me know what happens with the lava view from Arenal Observatory when you get back. Hopefully it will be clear for you when you are there.
Old May 30th, 2006, 05:40 AM

Just my own personal opinion after just being there....the lava flow doesn't really matter, seeing Arenal is what matters. When I was there, someone who worked in the area said 'they' didn't like the site of arenel.net because it oversold to people what they were going to see.

After my first day there, I could see what he meant. There were dozens of small eruptions while I was there and one pretty big one, but all you will see is what looks like little puffs of smoke/dust going down the side (during the day) and maybe some red sparks from the rocks- but not lava (at night). Those pics they have at arenal.net are few and far between he told me.

I will post my pics soon and maybe you'll see what I mean. I hope this makes sense what I'm trying to say, basically I ended up finding the whole 'lava flow' oversold, having a clear day to see Arenal is what matters (or did to me).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -