Search

Destination Advice

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29th, 2016, 05:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Destination Advice

Hi!
Planning a surprise trip for my girls (29/18) for June. Trying to decide on 2 European cities to visit. Plan to stay about 2 weeks. This will be our first trip to Europe. Girls like shopping, art history, food!
Thanks in advance!
Old Oct 29th, 2016, 08:32 PM
kja

First stop: Your local library or bookstore!
Old Oct 29th, 2016, 09:10 PM

Paris
Venice
Old Oct 29th, 2016, 09:34 PM

shopping, art history, food = all of Europe.
If the interest is this general, then it really does not matter where you go.
Old Oct 29th, 2016, 09:55 PM
kja

Sorry -- called away mid-thought...

What a wonderful gift, and it's great that you are planning for just 2 cities in that time!

As greg has said, your options are nearly endless. In no particular order: Paris, Florence, Rome, London, Madrid, Amsterdam, Vienna, Munich, Madrid, Naples, etc., etc., etc. ... SO many options!

That's why I said to start with your local library or bookstore, to start your research with some good guidebooks.

With daughters that age, you might want to let them in on the surprise earlier rather than later, as they might already have ideas about where they might want to go. And they could then take an active part in deciding on which cities and what to do once there.

To the extent that you have any latitude, earlier in June might be better than later -- once schools are out in the US and Europe, crowds begin to appear and costs go up. Just something to consider....

Have fun exploring your options!
Old Oct 29th, 2016, 10:15 PM

Food. Scrap UK.
Avoid Poland Germany and Romania.
(You can find good food but it is not refined and be expensive)
Scrap NL (karnemelk and triangle sandwiches).
So : france Italy Belgium Spain are the Mecca's of food.
History too.

Paris and Venice would indeed be lively and lovely. Or Barcelona and nice. Or Rome and Sevilla.
Or Bruxelles gent Brugge and Lille.
Or
Or
Or
But I would do Paris in all configurations. Plus one Italian. Venice or Firenze. With some day trips. Like Versailles and Siena.
Old Oct 29th, 2016, 10:56 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>Food. Scrap UK. <<

That is totally 100% ridiculous.

You must have been reading that troll thread . . .

KarenLac: >>Girls like shopping, art history, food!<<

For a first trip London and Paris is always a good option. There are easy to travel between (2+ hours by train city center to city center. Open jaw in to London, home from Paris. And a day trip from each city -- Oxford or Bath from London, Chartres or Giverny from Paris.

Great food in both cities, some of the world's best art museum/galleries in both cities and the shopping is great -- especially now with the £ so depressed vs. the US$
Old Oct 29th, 2016, 11:21 PM

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
London and Paris are my suggestions, and that of our 15 year old daughter, as well.

Skip Vienna. Yes, there is art, but the shopping only consists of high-end international retailers and lower-end mall stores, with absurdly expensive boutiques sprinkled between. And, while the Viennese dining scene has greatly improved, it isn't a city I would place in my personal list of top dining destinations.

Happy Planning!
Old Oct 30th, 2016, 02:41 AM

Actually, it doesn't sound as though you are "planning" at all. Time to get out the guidebooks and maps and get on the internet and do some serious research. It's an entire continent. Your choices are endless. Shopping and art history and food are in every corner, so that really doesn't narrow down the field much.
Old Oct 30th, 2016, 02:42 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Food. Scrap UK. >>

you're at it again, WoinP.

My DD has always loved shopping in the little places you find in France and Italy; IMO London is not over-endowed with those and has too many chains. I would pick Paris and Rome.
Old Oct 30th, 2016, 02:57 AM

uk is not known for a history of great food.
You can eat well but it is not as culturally ingrained as in france Spain or Italy.
But I would be a taker if some good advice - in all honesty and trying to not sound provocative nor arrogant (not a small feat for me) I have never eaten on average as well in London as in Paris.
Without breaking the bank and without going to exotic places.
Old Oct 30th, 2016, 04:24 AM

The opposite for me, WoinParis; more disappointing dinners in Paris than in London. And though you can eat well in Belgium, its mostly the same food everywhere.

Who cares about food history; it's what you get on your plate today what matters. You clearly have a very outdated view on eating out in the Netherlands too.

Karen: for 2 weeks, first trip, I would stick to Paris and London, starting in London, leaving from Paris - more nights for London than Paris as it's a lot bigger.
Old Oct 30th, 2016, 04:43 AM

Two cities is a great idea. My favorite cities in Europe are (in order):

Paris
Lucerne
Venice
London
Florence
Rome
Nice
Old Oct 30th, 2016, 05:14 AM

Of course I am outdated in NL.
What belgian wants to eat there ?

And I had bad food last time in London (2014) and Amsterdam (2015) and worse in 2005 or so in Emmen where all restaurants were closed at 6 38 pm.

But I am on slippery ground .... I realize that !

I had a great couscous yesterday in france.
Old Oct 30th, 2016, 05:41 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
France and Italy
Paris and Florence, Fly into Paris and out of Florence or Rome, easy travel between Florence and Rome via train.
Old Oct 30th, 2016, 05:46 AM

WoinParis, hit the Wagamama on your next trip to London. I hit them up in every city for the Korean bbq ribs. I first discovered them in Portsmouth and now you can find them in Dublin, Belfast and Boston but London has tons of them. The Tiger beer isn't bad with the meal.
Old Oct 30th, 2016, 06:43 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think the obvious is London and then Paris, London is an easy first fisit, we speak the language but more cosmipoliton than most US cities.

Then move onto Paris, which is so close but yet so far.

WoinParis, I too have spent the past 40 years fearing that I would have to eat in Belgium or the Netherlands after a childhood that included too many poor restaurants in those countries.

Then, 4 years ago I had a good meal in the Netherlands and then amazingly some good cake and it was like the sun had lifted from behind the clouds and all meals were at least better than average.
This summer in Belgium, the drought of poor food but great beer continued, in fact I longed to leap into Germany where at least the quality may be average but it seldom drops down. I think Belgians should keep doing what they do best Beer and buy in their Mussels from France
Old Oct 30th, 2016, 07:01 AM

I love the fries and waffles in Belgian. Love being able to get a pint of Trappist ale that cheap. It is over 8 a bottle at the liquor store here in Fl. I don't really remember eating a memorable meal in Belgium. Sorry!!
Old Oct 30th, 2016, 07:09 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't really remember eating a memorable meal in Belgium. Sorry!!>>

Really? we've always eaten very well in Belgium. I wonder what it is that we are all looking for that is so different ? [or perhaps we're looking for the same things but we just managed to find it?]
Old Oct 30th, 2016, 08:06 AM

I have always thought Belgium had some of the finest food in all of Europe. And no, I'm not talking about waffles, or frites with mayonnaise, or beer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -