'Friends of the Uffizi' Membership

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone has experience with this card? Looks very reasonable if one plans to attend lots of museums.

http://www.amicidegliuffizi.it/soci_engl.html
Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 05:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I considered it for a trip a few years ago when we were going to spend 10 days in Florence. I ended up not getting the membership because I didn't think I would be spending 100 euros in entry fees since we'd been to Florence before. It was actually pretty close, and the membership would definitely have saved money if we had had children with us.
Old Sep 24th, 2008, 03:03 AM
Original Poster

One of the main reasons I am considering it is because you can go directly to the 'reservation' line. That would be greatly helpful at the Uffizi and the Accademia. I was wondering if anyone had personal experience using it.
Old Sep 24th, 2008, 05:06 AM

You could also go straight to the reservation line if you'd just reserved individual tickets at, for instance €8.50 each for the Uffizi itself. I think you can only decide if it's worth the money by checking the prices of each museum you intend to visit, adding them together & seeing if it's more than the cost of the card.
Old Sep 24th, 2008, 05:07 AM

P.S. To me it definitely would be worth it if it meant I could go on a tour of the Vasari corridor, which I see they run sometimes.
Old Sep 24th, 2008, 06:26 AM

Ditto Caroline_edinburgh's comment about the Vasari Corridor. I've been trying to see that for 15 years.
Old Sep 24th, 2008, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

Ok, I did a quick number crunch. For the three of us, if we go for the Uffizi, Accademia, Medicci Chapel and the combined Boboli/Pitti we certainly break even.

The good thing is that I would not have to have timed reservations and could go at any time. Think that this might work for us.

Still wondering if anyone has personal experience.
Old Sep 24th, 2008, 07:30 AM

Jean, not sure where you are located but there was a piece on 'The Culture Show' (UK TV programme) a couple of weeks ago about Andrew Graham-Dixon visiting it - did you see that ?
Old Sep 24th, 2008, 12:55 PM

No, Caroline, I didn't see that program. I'm West Coast U.S.

I have seen a couple of other TV programs, however, including an episode of the series by the art nun (whose name escapes me). It just made me more interested in seeing the space, not for the art which isn't considered exceptional, but for the experience of walking where the Medicis walked.

I've lost track of the number of supposedly confirmed reservations I've made that are cancelled on me at the 11th hour for one reason or another. Sigh. I'll keep trying 'til I expire.
Old Sep 24th, 2008, 11:19 PM

Hi Jean. Really ? What a shame. I hadn't realised it was even possible for mere mortals to book a tour (although that's not much good if you book flights etc then the tour is cvancelled). Is this something anyone can book or are you a member of an organisation, an arts journalist or something ?

I feel the same as you about wanting to experience the space rather than thinking the art will be of much interest. Although I was intrigued when AGD implied the collection is still acquiring artist portraits - do you know about that ? I didn't notice anything modern-looking at all, though.
Old Sep 25th, 2008, 02:59 AM
Original Poster

There is a 'note' on slowtrav on how to book the Vasari corridor tour. I'll see if I can dig it up. The poster also had it cancelled multiple times.
Old Sep 25th, 2008, 03:04 AM

Great, thanks mari.
Old Sep 25th, 2008, 02:56 PM

marigoss, I've been wondering about the Friends of Uffizi card too and have done some research. What I've discovered is that many of the state museums listed are free anyway but the ones in Florence, all of which I'd like to see, add up to 43 euros per person, paid separately.

However, since you don't have to pay fees to reserve a time to see David or visit the Uffizi, the cost is about even. Also, since you don't have to pay extra for special exhibits which get tacked on, whether or not you want to see them, this puts you ahead as a couple or family paying 100 euros for the card.

For me, however, the deciding factor is that you don't have to wait anywhere to get in. It's hard enough to get my husband into an art museum without making him wait to do it so I feel that this alone justifies the price of the card. Having the card also means that you can go to the state museums more than once and just see a section at a time or return to visit David or a special painting more than once.
Old Sep 26th, 2008, 02:57 AM
Original Poster

moolyn, exactly! I break even quicker because we are three. What really sold it to me was that I could split the Uffizi into several days, whenever it is convenient as opposed to just doing it all at once (no problem for me bu DH and DD are not that much into renaissance art).

I'm sold. I will definitely be signing up.
Old Sep 26th, 2008, 07:57 AM
yk

marigross - please report back after your trip. I'd be interested in this for the future.
Old Sep 26th, 2008, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

Still have some ways to go.... May 2009. Never too soon to start planning.
Old May 2nd, 2009, 11:05 PM

I know this is an older topic but I just wanted to make sure I didn't have to make a reservation for the Uffizi or Accademia if I used this card. I leave in a week so I thought I'd double-check. At 40 euros for a student, I think this makes a lot of sense!
Old May 3rd, 2009, 06:47 AM
Original Poster

linds, were you able to purchase online? I have been trying for weeks and none of the links seem to work.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 12:07 PM

I haven't, the online form is a little confusing to say the least. I'm also a little wary about receiving it in time so I'm going to buy it at the office across the street from the Uffizi. Hopefully I'll be able to find it!
Old Aug 29th, 2009, 05:03 PM

Can I purchase the Friends of Uffizi Pass for a family but only my sister and I would use it? We are both adults. It would be so much cheaper to pay for 100 euro as for a family then pay 120 for 2 of us.

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -