Reload this Page >

Best way to get to Florence from Rome

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25th, 2004, 07:24 PM
Paci

Does it make any sense to hire a driver to take us to Florence from Rome so that we can see the sights along the way? We would like to visit the towns of Siena, San Gimignano and Chianti and were wondering if this is possible or out of the way? Initially, we were going to do this as a side trip out of Florence but if we can do it on the way to Florence in order to maximize our time, it might be worth looking into. I have not done any research on this so don't jump on me if this is ridiculous question.

Old Jul 25th, 2004, 07:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This sounds like an interesting idea - I anticipate the responses. We are planning our 1st trip to Rome/Tuscany and I am trying to find the best way to spend 10 days. Good luck!

Michelle from canada
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 08:03 PM
rex

<<Initially, we were going to do this as a side trip out of Florence but if we can do it on the way to Florence in order to maximize our time, it might be worth looking into.>>

I can't see it saving you any time because the train service from Florence is so fast - - only 95 minutes.

And I may be mistaken, but I don't think that it's a worthwhile expense to hire a car and driver for Siena - - a great day full in its own right - - o there by SITA bus.

Others here might be more knowledgeable about Florence-San Gimignano; I'm sure there are various choices.

Seeing the Chianti countryside is a somewhat different matter. What is the time context of your time in Florence/Tuscany and Rome?

Like so many trips to this part of Italy, I suspect that you will be faced with too many good choices, and not enough time.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 08:05 PM
rex

I misread the direction of your Rome-Florence travel, but my answer is the same.
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 04:10 AM
ira

Hi Paci,

There is bus service from Rome to Siena. I don't know the details, but you can find the thread if you search this forum.

There is bus and train service between Siena and Florence.

San G is a bus trip from Siena.

There is train service between Florence and Chianti.

I would take the train to Florence and use it as a base to visit the other towns.

Old Jul 26th, 2004, 01:24 PM
Paci

Thank you, everyone! Rex, we are spending 3 nights in Rome and 4 in Florence. Thought we could accomplish some sight-seeing on the way to Florence leaving more time to do other things. I know it is very worthwhile to do Siena by itself but we thought that if we left Rome early, we would be able to see some of the towns south of Florence on the way. We'll probably take the train to Florence since it is such a short ride and day-trip from there.