Search

AT&T plan for 1 week France?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27th, 2017, 05:18 PM
bck
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AT&T plan for 1 week France?

I am on AT&T cell network in US with an unlocked iPhone, visiting France for a week. Anyone know how the connectivity is if I use the $10/day international plan? I mainly need internet for work. Should I rather get a local sim? How expensive would that be? Thanks!
Old Sep 27th, 2017, 05:48 PM

I don't use AT&T, but their connectivity in France should be fine. They don't have their own network there; they use roaming partners, local mobile companies that have their own SIMs you could buy, which would give you about the same connectivity vs. roaming on their network with AT&T.

I think you can get a local SIM in France for 20 to 40 Euros, depending on which one buy and with which company. Obviously with AT&T you're looking at $70 USD max (maybe even less if you don't use it every day - I think you get charged by AT&T only for the days you use your phone, just like Verizon's plan). And you'd have your own phone number; getting a French SIM means you get a new French phone number until you put the AT&T SIM back in. That doesn't work well for some people; people from home must make an international call just to reach you.

The local SIM makes more sense for a longer trip, because you'd save more money. A local SIM for two weeks would probably cost about the same as for one week, whereas AT&T would cost 2X.
Old Sep 27th, 2017, 08:41 PM

We used the $10 daily this summer throughout the Baltics. With only a week, I would use the ATT plan.
I have literally used 1/2 a travel day getting a sim. I know it doesn't always work this way... but it did last year. The guy put in all the numbers, and then it wouldn't work. After over an hour of fidgiting, it did work. However, as soon as we left, we found that we could not connect to internet. Long story (long morning) that ended up having seomething to do with him inputting our passport date or something??? I forget the details.

Another time, WIND (in Italy) actually only gave us 5E credit instead of 25E... asesume it was an accident. It was sorted out (we had the receipt)... but took another hour-plus in Rome.

So our rule now is that if it's less than a couple of weeks, it's better to just go with our plan. Vacation time is very edxpenseive!

Also... you pay $10 for 24 hours. We found that we had plenty of internet/phone through our hotel wifi, combined with coffee shops, etc. So we actually only needed to pay for 2 days over 3 weeks' vacation.
But it's really a personal decision... just my two cents!!
Old Sep 28th, 2017, 01:45 AM

I used a ThreeUK SIM in France a few months ago and it worked just fine. You might get slightly better speed with a French SIM, but you can get a Three SIM on eBay for $2 and get it roaming and working here before you go. Three has plans for as little as ten pounds, iirc.
Old Sep 28th, 2017, 03:42 AM

The AT&T plan worked fine for us a couple of weeks ago in eastern Europe.
Old Sep 28th, 2017, 04:54 AM

I just used the AT&T International "passport" for a 9-day trip to France/Belgium in late August/early September. It cost $40 for the plan which included phone calls at $1/minute and 200 MB of data. Texting was free, both incoming and outgoing. Since we never come close to using up our data at home, I didn't know if that was enough for the trip or not. It wasn't. They helpfully sent me a text on the third day telling me I had used 80% of my data already!

Between the cost of the plan, a few (necessary) phone calls and the data overage, my bill was over $85 more for that month.

Hope that helps!

Note: many places have free wi-fi which they advertise on signage. What they don't tell you on the signs is the password needed to use it--for that you have to ask someone.
Old Sep 28th, 2017, 04:56 AM

Edit: the free incoming texts were included as part of our usual plan, not the AT&T International package I purchased.
Old Sep 28th, 2017, 10:44 AM

Like Musicfan, I also use AT&T's international "passport" plan which is $40 for 30 days (no shorter time periods are allowed). After my first time using it, when I was posting photos galore, and I went WAY over my data limit, I learned to use public WIFI and turn off my phone's cellular data option for internet surfing, photos, etc. It's worked very well for me so depending on how many days you're away, and what you use the phone for, you may want to consider it.
Old Sep 28th, 2017, 04:10 PM
bck
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Very useful inputs. I will go with AT&T as suggested.
Old Sep 29th, 2017, 10:36 PM

vickiebypaess has a good note above-- do turn off data when not using it. phones will often default to the stronger signal, and may use your own data when other data is available. Our wireless phone rep coached us through all the ins and outs of using minimal data and minutes while overseas... call them and it will really help you save $$.
Old Sep 30th, 2017, 03:17 AM

200 mb is almost nothing as data goes.
Old Sep 30th, 2017, 03:18 AM

For a week, I also would probably just stick with my plan.
Old Sep 30th, 2017, 05:36 AM

AT&T no longer uses the 30 day plan. They are now on the $10/day plan like Verizon.