Reload this Page >

VENICE hotel suggestions

Search

VENICE hotel suggestions

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27th, 1999, 07:27 AM
Tricia

VENICE hotel suggestions

Four of us (aged 55 - 65) are going to Venice for a long weekend at the beginning of November. Can anyone recommend a good, moderately priced central hotel convenient to museums, St Marks Square, etc.?

Old Sep 27th, 1999, 07:37 AM
Nicoletta

I did see alot of hotels right near Piazza San Marco but unfortunately I cannot recall any off hand. I just returned from Venice a few days ago and the reason why we did not stay in any hotels was because Venice was entirely booked. DO NOT arrive on a Saturday without having booked a hotel...you will find nothing. <BR>However, having toured Venice and seeing those carrying luggage tryong to get to their hotels with a Vaporetto..I am glad we did not stay in Venice. <BR>Keep in mind that right outside of Venice (about a 7 minuted train ride) there is a town called Mestre where you will likely find good accomodations for substantially less money. If you get the hotel right next to teh train station you will be within minutes of Venice. The train runs 24 hours so you will not have to worry about leaving Venice early to catch any buses. <BR> <BR>Good luck! <BR> <BR>Nicoletta

Old Sep 27th, 1999, 07:50 AM
Gina

I'd have to disagree about staying in Mestre. Mestre is an industrial city and utterly lacking in charm. We found our best times in Venice were in the early mornings and late evenings, before the day-trippers and cruise ships came in, sitting on an early vaporetto or wandering Piazza San Marco or a side street in the moonlight. Yes, the train runs 24 hours, but it's still much easier and more convenient to be *in* Venice when you wake up early and think, "I want to throw on some clothes and watch the sunrise over the Piazza." <BR> <BR>The folks weighted down with luggage on the vaporetti (we saw 'em too) didn't make a mistake in staying in Venice, in my humble opinion--they made a mistake in bringing too much luggage. We packed very lightly and found it easy to get around; by the end of our trip (three days in Amsterdam), we had accumulated a bit more stuff since we were buying gifts. We were struggling in Schiphol and our connecting airports and felt like pack mules--even though we *still* had less luggage than most people we saw. I can't recommend the "travel light" philosophy" highly enough.

Old Sep 27th, 1999, 08:40 AM
Dona

Tricia, <BR> <BR>I absolutely agree - and I know I sound like a broken record but - staying in Venice is magical... There have got to be 2 rooms available in all of Venice!! <BR> <BR>Some hotels which I've either tried or have heard of are: <BR> <BR>Ala, Bel Sito, Kette, American ( a little off the beaten path but lovely), Panada. Check this Forum for more wonderful hotels... and, by all means, stay in Venice and, if you pack half of what you think you'll need, you'll have no problem... <BR> <BR>Have a wonderful trip! <BR> <BR>

Old Sep 27th, 1999, 09:46 AM
anne

For a special experience in Venice, we recommend the Casa Verardo. It's a few minutes walk from San Marco, in the Castello district. They have 11 rooms, large and so nicely decorated with Venetian painted furniture, and a box-like bath (which is worth a few laughs!) plunked down in the room. We enjoyed room 1, overlooking the tiny canal. Breakfast is served in the former ballroom, large and airy, with a frescoed ceiling. The young owners are so helpful and friendly. Cost is around 120,00 lira double. Phone 041/52-86-127, fax 041/52-32-765.

Old Sep 27th, 1999, 10:10 AM
carol

I was in Venice one week ago when the city was all booked. We were staying in Mestre because we were on a tour, and even though it was convenient (we took the train to the hotel one night), I wished I was on one of the Venetian islands. I think the expense is well worth it. <BR> I agree with the above posts, Mestre is totally ugly. There were a couple of hotels in the Rialto section -- the Hotel Marconi and the Hotel Rialto comes to mind. I walked right into the Marconi and made reservations for July right on the spot -- they quoted me $100 a person. Why don't you give them a call -- but by no means stay in Mestre just to save a couple of dollars.

Old Sep 27th, 1999, 10:47 AM
elaine

I can recommend the Flora, which is very popular and may be booked. Others which have been recommended enthusiastically on this forum are the Accademia, the Bel Sito as above, and the Do Pozzi. <BR>All have convenient locations. <BR>This may help: <BR> <BR>www.ve.flashnet.it <BR>www.hotelguide.ch/ <BR>www.venicehotel.com/ <BR> www.venere.it/ <BR> <BR>Hotel Flora e-mail is [email protected]. <BR>

Old Sep 27th, 1999, 11:39 AM
Carol

Tricia: I'd go with the Ala because it's on the same square as the glorious Gritti Palace hotel, within a 2-3 block walk to San Marco, and as I recall, a reasonably priced place. BRING RAINGEAR, ESPECIALLY BOOTS. You're going during acqua alta weather, when the lagoons tend to "flood" the city. It's not dangerous, just a little messy, but with boots, who cares? Don't miss the Accademia.

Old Sep 27th, 1999, 12:08 PM
Carol

Hi Tricia: <BR> <BR>I also recommend the Hotel Flora - small, charming and very close to San Marco. <BR> <BR>Their website is: <BR>www.hotelflora.it <BR> <BR>Have a wonderful time - Venice IS a magical city! <BR> <BR>Carol <BR>

Old Oct 2nd, 1999, 05:26 PM
Nina

We just got back from Rome, Venice, Florence, and Cinque Terre. <BR> <BR>In Venice we stayed at Antica Locanda Al Gambero, Calle dei Fabbri. It is just off Calle Bembo which takes you straight into St. Marks Square. <BR> <BR>It was very clean and only 110,000 per night for two including breakfast. Our room on the third floor (no elevators) overlooked a small canal and the calle below. The three big windows were great perches for people watching and we loved hearing the gondoliers below. <BR> <BR>You can reach them by email, [email protected]. <BR> <BR>Have fun.

Old Oct 2nd, 1999, 05:36 PM
steve

We stayed at the Hotel Bisanzio which is very pleasant and a short walk to St Marks Square. They also have a web-site and I think can be booked through Best Western.

Old Oct 3rd, 1999, 02:46 PM
lillianf.

The square is beautiful in the morning. on morning very early the square was empty except for a crazy homeless man screaming "gelato" over and over and a "flock" of nuns that came out of the church and flooded the square. It was quite a site. daytrippers miss this type of site and memory.

Old Oct 3rd, 1999, 05:46 PM
juanita

I agree about not staying in Mestre. We just came back last week and because of crowding in Venice, stayed in Mestre. I was dreaming of that full moon over Venice and Mestre is not beautiful. We stayed at the Ariston Hotel - a dump! Stay in Venice if you can!

Old Oct 4th, 1999, 04:48 AM
Mary Ann

To really appreciate Venice you have to stay after the bulk of tourists have returned to Mestre. We just got back. Stayed in the Accademia district near the bridge at Hotel galleria. Small (narrow) rooms with clean WC and shower with a grand canal view (165,000 Lire). Good Pizza cafe outside the door. 10 minute walk over the bridge to San Marco. Sleeping on the canal is noisy, watching the sun rise over the canal is great! So is seeing the traffic, including McDonalds barges. I believe, as others, that staying in Venice is best. Luggage isn't that bad as long as you plan ahead and keep it small. Get your vaporetto ticket before you get on board, there are severe penalties for not having a ticket and not all vaporettos sold them on board.