Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Venice--Best routes/walks to see it's beauty? (different ways needed--by Gondola, on foot, or even a guided walking tour)

Search

Venice--Best routes/walks to see it's beauty? (different ways needed--by Gondola, on foot, or even a guided walking tour)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28th, 2007, 06:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Fodorites,
Well, planning continues for the Italy trip. I've got some fabulous feedback on some other questions.

Here goes another,
Venice is gorgeous and I'd love to make sure not to miss the best of it.

I would love your feedback on the best routes to take via--
On foot
In a gondola
or perhaps with a tour guide

Looking for advice on all 3.

1. Can you please recommend Streets that are best to walk on that show great vistas and sights? Some good walking routes.

2. Also, definately doing the gondola ride. I've seen various postings on it. But was hoping to get some specifics on what route is best to have the gondolier take.

3. And finally, is there a tour guide, or 'walking' company that you recommend to do a tour with that does a great job showing Venice?

Really appreciate your feedback on this.

Old Sep 28th, 2007, 07:06 PM

This is so impossible to answer. You've never been to Venice before, correct? I've been to Venice a few times with first-timers and it's always the same: Thier inital reaction is to gasp and take a photo as we turn every cornr and cross every bridge (all 400 of them). After about 15 minutes of this, they realize that every turn is a postcard view.

My only recommendation: get a front or back seat in a vaporetto and ride the full length of the Grand Canal.

The rest is gravy--and kismet.
Old Sep 29th, 2007, 09:23 AM

advice is good but you can also get a simple map or rick steves Venice book which has 2-3 good walks, there is also a pod cast venice walk.
Old Sep 29th, 2007, 11:50 AM
ira

Hi L,

Have you looked it up under "Destinations"?

Old Sep 29th, 2007, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

usually I'm overwhelmed by all the friendly and helpful responses. I am very disappointed by the sarcasm I see displayed here.
If you don't want to be helpful, why respond?
I've looked at some guidebooks and was hoping to find some good streets from some helpful folks on how best to see Venice?
No reason to be mean about it.
Old Sep 29th, 2007, 12:27 PM

I highly recommend the book "Venice for Pleasure," available on Amazon the last time I checked. It's all about walking in Venice, with wonderfully detailed and informed commentaries that look beyond the usual sights.
Old Sep 29th, 2007, 12:43 PM

Sorry if you thought I seemed sarcastic--it's just that Venice is so similar yet so varied. Every few steps can be a complete change. Plus when you're walking you're not necessarily seeing the "best" side of buildings which were often on the canal sides. Thus, truly some of the most glorious sights are from vaporetti along the Grand Canal, where you will find the biggest line-up of impressive architecture.

The other big moments for me are when you are passing through narrow, dark walkways that seem like you are going no place special and then suddenly you step into a large campo filled with families at rest and play.
Old Sep 29th, 2007, 12:56 PM

That's so tru ellenem! LOTRHP, have no fear. I was exactly like you when I was about to visit Venice. But once I arrived, it all became clear what every Fodorite had told me. Venice itself is a living piece of art. Regardless of ANY route you take, everywhere you turn there's another picteresque scenery waiting to astonish you, to knock your breath away.

The first day I arrived, I kept getting left behind by my friends because I kept lagging behind taking pictures. Just take your time, ignore your map and take a wild guess and just walk!

That was what I did, and I got lost quite a number of times also, but it was all good fun.

Enjoy your time in Venice!
Old Sep 29th, 2007, 02:04 PM
Original Poster

Ahh, now I feel all better!
Thanks so much Ellen, Joanne, Filly and Aleck.
Really appreciate you taking the time to advise. I was thinking a walking tour might be a good idea...
Also thanks for the suggestion on the Rick Steve's book. I have 1 of all Italy but it doesn't contain a way to get the most 'walking bang for your buck.' Thanks also for the recc. on the Venice for Pleasure book. And also the comments on walking everywhere is a thing of beauty.

REally appreciate all your guidance and insight.
Very nice of you all to share.
Old Sep 29th, 2007, 02:20 PM

Take a walk through Dorsoduro, out to the Zattere. The first time I set foot there, I was blown away. All of a sudden, we were on the most glorious promenade, after back allies and small canalside walks.

Since there aren't really streets, think about destinations: I'm walking to the Zattere; I'll walk to Campo Santa Margherita; I'm going for a walk to the Arsenale. That way, you will see a lot but won't be depending on finding that right place to walk.

Well known passageways like the Mercerie or Strada Nuova aren't necessarily the best looking places, but certainly fun. It that kismet thing mentioned above: set yourself some place to go and be amazed by what you see along the way.

I just found these walks online, and I'm printing them out for myself. I think they will be great for you, too:
http://www.initaly.com/regions/veneto/zattere.htm

http://www.initaly.com/regions/veneto/zattmap.htm
Old Sep 29th, 2007, 03:05 PM

bookmarking. Thank you all for great tips!
Old Sep 29th, 2007, 04:28 PM

LOTRHP, we (DH, DS, & I) have a favorite walk in Venice & we will once again take it in Nov. It is absolutely beautiful & provides some great photo ops. It ends in S.Elena, our favorite part of Venice - far from the maddening crowds! So don't know if you want shopping areas only, but if you want the Venice behind the scenes, hope this gets you there -

1. From San Marco, go towards the water - Grand Canal.

2. Turn Left/East, and go past the Bridge of Sighs - stopping for a photo, of course.

3. Stay on the Grand Canal street past all of the gelato spots, outdoor dining, souvenir shops, stopping along the way, of course.

4. Just after crossing a canal, you'll see the Naval Museum on your left. It's cheap & my guys loved it & doesn't take long - if you are interested.

5. When facing the Naval Museum, walk along the Left side of the museum building. Go straight & when come to bridge, cross it & enjoy the front of the Arsenal building (can't go in). Maybe some photos.

6. Retrace your steps along the side of the Naval Museum & back to the Grand Canal street. From the Naval Museum, turn Left as you were going before.

7. Cross another canal & on your Left is Via Giuseppe Garibaldi. This is a wide street with many locals & a few tourists. Some outside dining.

8. Continue on Via Garibaldi until you come to the park on the Right - metal fence & gate. Go into the park. Now, you are starting our favorite part of this walk. Immediately there is a grand fountain. To the Right are some benches. Have a seat & enjoy the fountain, the locals pushing baby strollers, & the lovely lane of trees leading to the water. Don't forget to take some photos of the fountain.

9. When you can tear yourself away, go past the fountain & down the gorgeous lane of trees leading to the water. Be sure to get some great photos of this tree lined lane. Noice on both sides are apartments for locals. At one point, we turned right & went behind the fence to the back of the apartments - just to be nosey!

10. At the end of the beautiful lane, before you cross a canal, you could turn left & snoop around. We met a lovely very elderly lady walking along in the housing area & she had quite a lengthy conversation with us. However, she didn't speak English & we don't speak Italian! But we ooohed & awhhhed at the right places & looked where she pointed & smiled appropriately & thoroughly enjoyed!

11. End up back on the Grand Canal street continuing in the same direction. You will round a corner & cross a canal & enter another nice park in Quartiere S. Elana. Again sit & enjoy with the locals.

12. From this point, continue wandering S.Elena; you can cross a canal to Isola di S.Elana & wander. Eventually, head North along Viale Piave. Wander the northern section & then go back Left/West across a canal, back to tourist land!

13. You can continue going West & end up on the Grand Canal street back to San Marco. Or, head North & wander that area.

Since this is so long, I'll post it & then add some more comments on another post.

Julie
Old Sep 29th, 2007, 04:44 PM

Some of our other favorite places are the gondola shop (I don't remember exactly where this is, but if you post the question, someone will know), the ambulance boats outside the hospital, the Jewish Ghetto campo (where the museum is), & walking from San Marco to Fond. Nove.

The flower flowing roof top gardens of the villa near the Ca' Del Sol Mask Shop are gorgeous. So, that is a good destination.

Also forgot to mention that behind the Naval Museum is the Osteria a la Tana. We ate lunch there. The food is reasonably priced, portions abundant, service is friendly, food is good, & there is outside dining. The pizza & spagetti with meat sauce were very good.

Hope all of this helps. Enjoy Venice.

Julie
Old Sep 29th, 2007, 04:57 PM

The gondola "shop" is on the Rio di San Trovaso. Be aware that you can look at it from across the canal but not enter it.
Old Sep 30th, 2007, 12:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Venice is not that big. If you have a vaporetto pass, you can just wander off in any direction you like - getting lost is more than half the fun.

Eventually you will come back to the lagoon and should never be far from a vaporetto stop if you feel like taking a more direct way back.

The passes are quite expensive, but they allow you to hop on and off all day, and to circumnavigate Venice and look out for "interesting places" to explore. IMO , many of the best views were from the water.
Old Sep 30th, 2007, 12:48 AM

Hi LOTRHP
We were in Venice earlier this year and were recommended, by a local, to take the vaporetto that goes to Lido and does the Grand canal a while before sunset and do the complete circuit of the Grand caanal ...the view of Venice as we left Lido on sunset was magnificent and the Canal beautiful as the lights came on!
Enjoy
Rosie
Old Sep 30th, 2007, 02:50 AM

13,00 € - 12-HOUR TRAVELCARD
15,00 € - 24-HOUR TRAVELCARD
20,00 € - 36-HOUR TRAVELCARD
25,00 € - 48-HOUR TRAVELCARD
30,00 € - 72-HOUR TRAVELCARD

The above are the prices for the vaporetto cards. 30 Euros for 3 days is always the best way to go if you are there at least that long.
dave
Old Sep 30th, 2007, 04:10 AM
WG

bookmarking, thank you
Old Sep 30th, 2007, 04:38 AM

I also recommend a trip to at least one of the lagoon islands. Here is a recent thread describing them and the cemetery island
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35071720
Old Sep 30th, 2007, 08:44 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
We followed walking tours as outlined in a guidebook, and did several interesting routes on our own.

Take the (#1?) vaporetto down the Grand Canal. It doesn't get better than that!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -