Reload this Page >

Pre-purchasing train tickets in Italy?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16th, 2002, 10:49 PM
John

I'm trying to decide whether I need to worry about purchasing train tickets prior to our trip to Italy in early April. My gut says to just "wing it" and get tickets when we're there. Any opinions? We'll be going:<BR><BR>Rome to Orvieto<BR>Orvieto to Siena<BR>Siena to Sorrento (via Naples)<BR>Sorrento to Rome<BR><BR>Thanks in advance.

Old Feb 17th, 2002, 12:41 AM
Wendy

Hi John,<BR><BR>We were travelling by train in Italy last year in April including over Easter. We bought all our tickets in one hit from the AMEX office near the Spanish steps in Rome - you can't miss it. It took no time and saved $A200+ what we had been quoted in Aus.<BR><BR>It was very simple. Friendly staff spoke excellent English. We even were able to purchase our tickets from Milan-Lausanne-Paris from the very obliging service counter - (you go up the stairs to the next level from ground.)<BR><BR>I had searched on the Italian train internet site at home and printed off our requirements (dates, times) which I took with us so there could be no confusion.<BR><BR>It may cost a little more but reserving seats is ESSENTIAL - unless you want to stand up in a narrow corridor for the journey. The trains always seemed to be full. Knowing we had reserved seats -as opposed to just 'tickets to ride' took all the stress out. We asked for non-smoking too.<BR><BR>Pack light. The platforms seemed shallow and the bags have to be hauled up narrow steps.<BR><BR>Don't forget to validate your ticket on the platform before travelling - orange machine.<BR><BR>We had a thin wire lockable gizmo that threaded through our luggage (if it had to be left at the end of the carriage) to deter possible thieves making a grab for them.<BR><BR>We were even bold enough to purchase our tickets from Milan to Varenna using the ticket machine and following the English option. You probably don't need to buy tickets for very short journeys ahead.<BR><BR>I got most of these hints from the Fodor's forum. They all worked!!<BR><BR>Cheers, Wendy<BR>Australia<BR><BR>

Old Feb 17th, 2002, 05:08 AM
david

just stay at the hotel forum in rome and they will sort out your tickets for you....<BR><BR>http://www.hotelforumrome.com

Old Feb 17th, 2002, 05:48 AM
John

Wendy:<BR><BR>Thanks VERY much for detailed response! It's put my mind to rest. I'll take your recommendation.<BR><BR>David: Thanks, but our accomodations are set elsewhere.<BR><BR>John

Old Feb 17th, 2002, 06:04 AM
John

One other question:<BR><BR>Where can you find reliable estimates of train trip costs on the Web? The Trenitalia site does not include prices.<BR><BR>Thanks.

Old Feb 17th, 2002, 08:23 AM
Joanne

John: Trenitalia does give you prices. I assume you just pulled up a schedule, where prices aren't shown. Click on a particular train under "select" and the prices are shown on that page.<BR><BR>j

Old Feb 17th, 2002, 08:44 AM
John

Thank you, Joanne!

Old Feb 17th, 2002, 11:45 AM
sister

What about raileurope.com?

Old Feb 17th, 2002, 01:22 PM
Rex

In response to sister<BR><BR>www. raileurope.com costs 20 to 60% more than buying in Europe.<BR><BR>Sometimes useful for route and timetable info (though incomplete) -- better to estimate prices using www.railsaver.com - - which can help for routing, but not actual routes and timetables.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>