Cinque Terre or Amalfi Coast??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9th, 2011, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which one ? It's so hard to pick since they both look so beautiful!!
Money wise?
Thank you
Old Jul 9th, 2011, 09:36 AM

Money wise we found Cinque Terre cheaper. Both are amazing. Cinque Terre is more about hiking and I think more 'rustic' for lack of a better word. Amalfi Coast is more posh (well we stayed in Positano) and more infrastructure for tourists. What is the rest of your trip - logistically one may fit better (ie. Rome and Amalfi Coast, or Florence and Cinque Terre).
Old Jul 9th, 2011, 09:57 AM
Original Poster

Hi jamikins,

Rome and Venice are in our plans. And would love to see Tuscany. We are thinking about renting a car since we are 5 people traveling( including 2 children, 10 and 12 years old)
I really love all the pictures I see of Cinque Terre.
Thank you for your suggestions
Old Jul 9th, 2011, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

Our trip will be 14 days long
Old Jul 9th, 2011, 10:01 AM

I answered in your other post, and think I would go with Cinque Terre with the rest of your itinerary...enjoy!
Old Jul 9th, 2011, 10:01 AM

The AC is harder to access for your itinerary, and will cost more $$$. The car is a good idea with 5--this may help:

DRIVING IN ITALY & SOUTHERN EUROPE

Q. SHOULD WE DRIVE IN ITALY?
A. Of course you should if your driving skill & confidence would allow you to drive a rental car in Vermont, Colorado or California. But, be advised of these tips:
* Avoid driving in the major cities except for picking up or dropping cars
* Have good maps—study them in advance—and have a GOOD NAVIGATOR.
* Stay in the right lane except when passing and use your rear view mirrors

Q. WHAT CAR SHOULD I GET AND WHERE DO I GET IT?
A. It is best to rent your car before you leave for Europe. The best source we have found is www.autoeurope.com [800-223-5555] who is a broker for several car vendors. They will quote you prices to include the variables that are often omitted by others, such as unlimited mileage, mandatory insurance coverage with some deductibles, and VAT taxes. It is wise to compare prices and coverage with their sister company at www.kemwel.com. Autoeurope will match any comparable quote, and are famous for their customer satisfaction if problems do arise with the vendor. The best model will depend on your needs, but for best value we suggest you select a compact car with manual transmission. Automatics are available but will cost you about 30% more and may limit your model options & pick up locations.

Q. ARE ITALIAN DRIVERS AS CRAZY AS I HAVE HEARD?
A. Yes & no! They are certainly aggressive, but they are also more skilled than many USA drivers—both are a function of necessity. Italy is one of the most crowded countries in the world and the drivers have evolved these characteristics
* They are notorious tailgaters. If that bothers you, pull over and let them past.
* On the AUTOSTRADE they will drive fast, but will stay in the right lane except when passing and will use their blinkers when passing—YOU SHOULD TOO !
* They will often pass on 2-lane roads with traffic coming. Frankly, they expect you, and the oncoming car, to adjust to the shoulder and make 3 lanes of traffic.

OTHER ROAD TIPS FOR YOUR DRIVING SANITY:
1. Learn the meaning of the sign “ SENSO UNICO” and take heed [ONE WAY ].
2. Be sure to get your ticket when you enter the AUTOSTADA system & be prepared to pay the toll when you exit it [ rule of thumb—300 km=15 Euro]. You can use your credit card in the VIA lane at the toll both, or buy a debit VIACARD in advance.
3. Do NOT attempt to follow road numbers—that will frustrate you. But, do pay attention to the directional signs that point to your destination [ TO MONTALCINO]. And, be aware if that road leads eventually to a larger city [ ROMA—SIENA ETC.]
4. Unless you have a diesel car, you will want to fill the tank with benzina from the green pump. Most stations will pump gas for you and will take credit cards.

NOTE: As of 2005, an International Drivers Permit[IDP] is required in Italy.
You can obtain them from your local AAA office. You will need a valid US driver’s license, two passport photos, and $15. The photos can be taken at the AAA office.
Old Jul 9th, 2011, 10:29 AM

You wont't use the car in the Cinque Terre. (And I wouldn't recommend it for the AC either.) The 5 towns are connected by a walking trail or by train and boat. The road is inland. You'll just pay to park your car in the CT.

However, you really need a car to appreciate Tuscany. You could train to La Spezia and pick up the car there.

You plan 4 stops? Venice, Rome, Tuscany, and the Cinque Terre. Hopefully you have open jaws plane flights, preferably into Venice and out of Rome. Midtrip, a nice long stay, say 5 days, in Tuscany at an agriturismo with a pool would be fun for the kids and restful for the adults. Pick an agriturismo that serves dinner and is well-located for day-tripping around Tuscany.

Are you arriving after a long flight overnight? Allow time to recover from jet-lag. Wandering around Venice is perfect for that. In general a group of 5 can't move around as quickly as one or two.
Old Jul 9th, 2011, 11:51 AM

Mimar: <i>You wont't use the car in the Cinque Terre. (And I wouldn't recommend it for the AC either.) The 5 towns are connected by a walking trail or by train and boat.</i>

Let's emphasize that it's more of a HIKING trail than a "walking" trail especially between Corniglia and Vernazza and between Vernazza and Monterosso al Mare, with many steep steps up and down and a few narrow paths. Experienced hikers certainly won't have trouble with them, but they are not easy hikes, either. (But the hikes are very rewarding - beautiful views around and below you.) The hikes from Riomaggiore to Manorola and Manorola to the (base of) Corniglia aren't so bad, though.

I loved the Cinque Terre. The trails and towns are full of American tourists, though. (And Germans and lots of other non-Italians.) I don't think I'd want to go in the peak travel months; I went in early October and there were still plenty of tourists but it wasn't unbearable. (And the weather was still warm.)

I did not get to the Amalfi Coast unfortunately. Someday! It looks amazing.
Old Jul 9th, 2011, 12:58 PM

If you are going to drive, suggest you get a GPS. It will make life a lot easier and the drive much more enjoyable.
Old Jul 9th, 2011, 01:18 PM
Original Poster

Thank you! You guys are amazing! All so kind.

Andrew, we are not a " hiking family" but I think we'll be so excited about CT that we won't mind the hike. We'll do what we can, I'm sure staying in one place would also be nice. We might do boat trips too. CT looks amazing, How do we make sure we get a nice hotel without spending a lot? I don't mind " simple" but I dont want a poorly maintained hotel.

Mimar, I love the idea of Agriturismo, I will look into that.

Bobthenavigator, thank you for your driving tips, it' s great. My husband will do all the driving , he is sooo confident. He drove in Sao Paulo, Brazil. If you drove in SP you can drive anywhere. I just want to enjoy the views and take pictures!

Gps makes sense to me Jerry.
Old Jul 9th, 2011, 02:01 PM
JBX

The CT or AC query is an oft-discussed topic. Here are just a few of prior threads which outline the merits of each destination.

Amalfi Coast or Cinque Terre .....
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...e-397966-2.cfm

Amalfi Coast vs. Cinque Terre ???
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...e-381888-2.cfm

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
In your instance, having 2 kids along may impact your decision. Don't know how 'charming' they'd find trekking up/down the many steps in Positano.

Also, re: walking between the 5T towns, the stretch between Riomaggiore-Manarola is paved (only one that's paved), and I'd describe it as a nice walk, not a hike. Rest of trails from one town to next are dirt ..... though calling the Manarola -- Corniglia a "hike" ..... hmmmm, not so much. Yes, getting UP to town of Corniglia itself is bit of a hike, as you have to trek up several flights of stairs ..... Corniglia is only town of the 5 which does not have port access.